Cherokee Chat General non-tech Cherokee chat
XJ/MJ/ZJ/WJ

XJ and ZJ differences. Looking to buy

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-2014, 12:31 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default XJ and ZJ differences. Looking to buy

Please have mercy on me if this question is age old and has been answered. I promise I did a search and didn't see what I was looking for. Also, please move this post if it is in the wrong area.
First - how different are XJs and ZJs of the same year? I definitely loooove the look of the XJ way better, and understand the bulletproof capabilities of the 4.0L I6, but does that mean the ZJ is useless for mild off road use? What is a stock XJ capable of that a ZJ couldn't hope to perform?

My other question - test drove a 2000 XJ with only 91k on it. I was surprised to see that low of mileage, and I could probably get it for around $5k. The truck drove well, but the steering wheel sat between 9 o clock and 12 o clock while going straight. I have seen Jeeps do that before. Is it indicative of any particular issue(s)? Thank you. Excited to have found a friendly Jeep community.
Old 12-20-2014, 02:26 AM
CF Veteran

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Year: 89
Engine: 4.0 I6

Originally Posted by rEVOLVED
Please have mercy on me if this question is age old and has been answered. I promise I did a search and didn't see what I was looking for. Also, please move this post if it is in the wrong area.
First - how different are XJs and ZJs of the same year? I definitely loooove the look of the XJ way better, and understand the bulletproof capabilities of the 4.0L I6, but does that mean the ZJ is useless for mild off road use? What is a stock XJ capable of that a ZJ couldn't hope to perform?

My other question - test drove a 2000 XJ with only 91k on it. I was surprised to see that low of mileage, and I could probably get it for around $5k. The truck drove well, but the steering wheel sat between 9 o clock and 12 o clock while going straight. I have seen Jeeps do that before. Is it indicative of any particular issue(s)? Thank you. Excited to have found a friendly Jeep community.
Its not that bad of an issue. Just a drag link that needs to be adjusted. Thats kinda pricey for a rig that you're going to lift. These motors are bulletproof, dont be afraid of one with 150k miles if you think its been well taken care of. (grandparent shed finds are the best)
Old 12-20-2014, 07:01 AM
::CF Moderator::

Received 1,525 Likes on 1,237 Posts
Year: 1990
Model: Cherokee (XJ)
Engine: 4.0

Speaking of bulletproof, the AW4 automatic trans in the XJs is just that, like the 4.0.

But, the Chryco trans in the ZJs ---not so much.
Old 12-20-2014, 08:28 AM
CF Veteran

Received 247 Likes on 206 Posts
Year: 1988
Engine: I6 4.0

As far as axles go, XJs have better ones. The hp30 and 29 spline 8.25 are much stronger than ZJs LP30 and D44a. Best thing to me about a ZJ is the V8 and all round coil springs
Old 12-20-2014, 11:17 AM

Originally Posted by cruiser54
Speaking of bulletproof, the AW4 automatic trans in the XJs is just that, like the 4.0.

But, the Chryco trans in the ZJs ---not so much.
Is this to say that the 5 speed manual in an XJ isn't as good as the AW4? I'd prefer auto and would only buy a manual to attempt better mpg. I think this is my bottom line question - Can I buy a 2000 or 2001 XJ that has never been lifted and is bone stock and go have some fun with it? If I spend more than $5k on it, it will have to become my daily driver. It will see mostly highway miles, and a 50 mile (each way) trip to the desert twice a month to go shoot rifles. Mild dirt roads that kids ride their ATVs on, and a couple of hills. Definitely no rock crawling or crazy Rubicon stuff.
Old 12-20-2014, 12:15 PM
::CF Moderator::

Received 1,525 Likes on 1,237 Posts
Year: 1990

Is this to say that the 5 speed manual in an XJ isn't as good as the AW4? I'd prefer auto and would only buy a manual to attempt better mpg. I think this is my bottom line question - Can I buy a 2000 or 2001 XJ that has never been lifted and is bone stock and go have some fun with it? If I spend more than $5k on it, it will have to become my daily driver. It will see mostly highway miles, and a 50 mile (each way) trip to the desert twice a month to go shoot rifles. Mild dirt roads that kids ride their ATVs on, and a couple of hills. Definitely no rock crawling or crazy Rubicon stuff.
Manual trans is fine.
Old 12-20-2014, 12:53 PM
CF Veteran

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
Year: 1999

^X2
Old 12-20-2014, 01:16 PM
Moderator CF K9-unit

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Year: 2000 sport
Engine: New 4.0l from s&j engines

Yes you can, the stock XJ will do fine. Check these vids out

This is a 98 stock

This is a Stock Vs. Lifted XJ
Old 12-20-2014, 03:30 PM

Originally Posted by Dumajones
Yes you can, the stock XJ will do fine. Check these vids out
Thank you,this is very helpful. I appreciate everybody being so helpful. You guys have an awesome community here, and I can't wait to keep learning from y'all.
What types of issues should I look for if I go test drive some XJs? Rust in the unibody? Any way to know how the 4x4 has held up over the years? etc...?
Old 12-20-2014, 06:20 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1997

Get the XJ! And check the body for rust under the plastic that's between the back wheel wells and the bumper. That's where mine started. Check it on the inside of the doors as well. If I remember right, the 99-01 have issues with cracking. (engine casing or head gasket, can't remember which.)
Old 12-20-2014, 08:11 PM
CF Veteran

If you want more of a off roader get a xj if you want a daily driver that can be taken off road get the zj.Off road the zj will do better with its rear coil springs but off road parts cost more for the zj vs same thing for the xj.The zj did come with the aw4 but was 93 only.If you power the 98 zj limited 5.9 was the fastest suv in its day.
Old 12-20-2014, 08:53 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

having wheeled both, the zj is, and feels allot heavier, the xj is much more nimble offroad.
If you go zj, go v8, the axle choices suck but its nice to have power on tap....everything is more expensive for zj as well, I am sticking with xj at the moment...
Old 12-21-2014, 02:32 AM

I don't think ZJ is even an option for me. Just not that into the look of them unless it is a 2012 or newer, which turns it into a near high end family SUV.
I hate to utter these words on this forum, but the only other thing I would consider buying would be a 4runner. I need to go drive a few 4runners and a few XJs and see what I like/feel comfortable in. I know this is a Cherokee forum, but if anyone has any experience with 4runners, I'd love to listen.
Old 12-21-2014, 04:48 AM
CF Veteran

A 85 or older 4runner would be the only ones i would go after.86 and on had ifs which is good on road but sucks off road.Only toyota i would think about is a 98 or older land cruiser they still have a solid axle in the front and big enough to be used for anything.
Old 12-21-2014, 09:46 AM

That's all I needed to hear. Thank you.

Quick Reply: XJ and ZJ differences. Looking to buy