Jeep Cherokee Forum

Go Back   Jeep Cherokee Forum > General > Cherokee Chat
Register Forgot Password?
Register Photos FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read GarageVendor DirectoryvBLive
Search

Welcome to Cherokee Forum!
Welcome to Cherokee Forum,

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

submit to reddit

Old 09-30-2011, 09:41 AM   #1

View pelexj90's Photo Album My Photos
96 Cherokee
Default xj or tj??

recently had an offer to trade my 98 xj for a 97 stock tj with a little less mileage..ive been contemplating for a few days now what do u guys think?
pelexj90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2011, 09:45 AM   #2
Seasoned Member

View sj2000xj's Photo Album My Photos
2000 Cherokee

Xj can fit more groceries
sj2000xj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2011, 09:56 AM   #3
::CF Moderator::

View Gee oh Dee's Photo Album My Photos
1987 Cherokee

My wife has a 98 TJ, she loves it. Other than lack of interior space, they aren't that different.

If you do go to the other side, don't get an attitude and become an arrogant *****.

"Build" thread:
http://www.cherokeeforum.com/f46/pro...herokee-58248/

"...To ride a motorcycle well is like making the choice to live in this world and the next simultaneously; It is to carelessly play with hell's devils and God's angels together because anything less would be, to the moto-enthusiast, to do nothing at all..."
Gee oh Dee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2011, 10:17 AM   #4
CF Veteran

View dogger15's Photo Album My Photos
Cherokee

I see xj for wheeling they look way better when flexing out. Tj I see more as a dd

Also xj has more space
Build Specs: 92, Ax15, 32x11.50x15 kenda mts, 15x8 black Baja style wheels with 3.75 BS, About 4"-4.5" lift. Rustys 2.5" Coil with a spacer added, CAD brackets, RE HD Track Bar, Chevy 1500 lines, 1995 F150 shocks on the front, HD Off Road shackle relo boxes, RE AAL, 1996 F 150 rear shocks, JCR t-case skid, 4.56 gears, lunch box lockers front and rear, optima blue top, cb radio, soft ball bump stops, rear hitch, factory recovery hooks, zj tie rod

Last edited by dogger15; 09-30-2011 at 10:24 AM.
dogger15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2011, 10:22 AM   #5
::CF Moderator::

View Gee oh Dee's Photo Album My Photos
1987 Cherokee

Quote:
Originally Posted by dogger15 View Post
I see xj for wheeling they look way better when flexing out. Tj I see more as a dd
O.o

"Build" thread:
http://www.cherokeeforum.com/f46/pro...herokee-58248/

"...To ride a motorcycle well is like making the choice to live in this world and the next simultaneously; It is to carelessly play with hell's devils and God's angels together because anything less would be, to the moto-enthusiast, to do nothing at all..."
Gee oh Dee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2011, 10:30 AM   #6

View Art_XJ's Photo Album My Photos
Cherokee

Hi, Sir....
IMHO, we can't compare those cars....I drive both a XJ and a YJ (not an TJ, I know), and couldn't decide to get rid off none of them. The TJ is way more comfortable than the YJ (used to own a '99 TJ for almost five years), but the car's utility is quite similar in both of them (except for motorway journeys )
If you're used to a comfortable, quiet car, keep your XJ with you. It's the best car ever meda...don't they say that...????
Cheers...
Art_XJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2011, 10:31 AM   #7
CF Veteran

View razor02097's Photo Album My Photos
1998 Cherokee

That is a tough one... the TJ might have more resale value... The TJ has an actual frame, coiled springs in the rear and more aftermarket support. However many many came with 4 cylinder engines... also with the dreaded Dana 35 rear axle. You haven't really said anything specific about the TJ other than it is a stock 97.

If it was a 4 liter with the AX15 I would be banging on the guy's door right now!

In the defense of the XJ.

The XJ is WAY more versatile and at least IMO has much better road manners. The cargo area is bigger in the XJ. Unless it is a hardtop TJ the security is better in the XJ. IMO a built XJ will trump the cookie cutter wrangler any day of the week in looks and in many cases... function! It is cheaper to find parts for the XJ in the JY because they are so plentiful. Plus you have Cherokeeforum.com

Sub BoughtXJ
.............Universal torque spec
Do until
SoldXJ = True
.....Tighten until it gets loose again,
.......WheelXJ..............back it off a quarter turn.
.......BreakXJ...............If it breaks it needed to be replaced anyway.
.......RepairXJ
......UpgradeXJ
Loop
End Sub
razor02097 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2011, 10:37 AM   #8
CF Veteran

View jeepokee95xj's Photo Album My Photos
1995 Cherokee
Send a message via Yahoo to jeepokee95xj

I'm probly gunna catch a lotta flack for this, but here's my honest opinion. I love my XJ more than anything sides my kids and my ole lady, but if i found a fool that'd trade me a descent TJ with a 4.0 and a 5spd, I'd deff put it on him. There's a lotta ppl on here that will say the XJ is better, and they may actually believe that, but it's simply not true. The one and ONLY advantage the XJ has over a TJ is interior room, O wait, and towing capacity. TJ's are superior in just about every aspect other than that. U can run bigger tires with less lift cuz the wheel wells are bigger. The Wrangler has better aproach, break over and departure angles. They're built tougher to. More like a truck, where the XJ is built more like a car. To be Honest, the only reason i drive an XJ is $. U can pick up NICE XJ's for 2-3000 dollars. The Cheapest u can find, most clapped out, rust bucket TJ will bring nearly twice that. Im so sorry CF. If u tell anybody i said all that, I'll deny it. =)
.._...|..\_____________________|_
....../ `---___________---- _____|]
...../_==o;;;;;;;;__ __________.:/
.....), ---.(_(__) /
....// // \ )
...//___//
..//___// Put This On Your Page If You
.//___// Support Legal & Responsible Firearm Ownership
"What do you mean i can't park there?"
jeepokee95xj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2011, 01:06 PM   #9

View XJ Rat's Photo Album My Photos
1998 Classic Cherokee

Back when I lived in PA, I had a 99 TJ bought new in Nov 98. It was a Sport with the 4.0 and AX-15. We wheeled in places like Paragon and around the Shamokin. My club cut the first trails at Rausch Creek. I had $10K in mods in that TJ, yet it still looked fairly stock. For wheelin, get the TJ hands down.

Last year I traded the TJ for a 98 Classic. It has a 4.0 liter and AW4. My off roading has mellowed in the last few years, so the TJ, while capable, was not what I needed any longer. For driving comfort and interior storage there is no comparison, the XJ wins hands down. My Classic is still very capable off road.

I remember XJ's did pretty good keeping up with us TJ and YJ drivers. But the XJs that got used developed ripples in the body between the lower rear side glass and the hatch, and stress cracks throughout. The unit body could not handle the stress of no frame.

If you wanna wheel, get the TJ. Light wheeling and daily driving, keep your XJ.
Old 09-30-2011, 02:20 PM   #10
CF Veteran

View razor02097's Photo Album My Photos
1998 Cherokee

Quote:
Originally Posted by XJ Rat View Post
Back when I lived in PA, I had a 99 TJ bought new in Nov 98. It was a Sport with the 4.0 and AX-15. We wheeled in places like Paragon and around the Shamokin. My club cut the first trails at Rausch Creek. I had $10K in mods in that TJ, yet it still looked fairly stock. For wheelin, get the TJ hands down.

Last year I traded the TJ for a 98 Classic. It has a 4.0 liter and AW4. My off roading has mellowed in the last few years, so the TJ, while capable, was not what I needed any longer. For driving comfort and interior storage there is no comparison, the XJ wins hands down. My Classic is still very capable off road.

I remember XJ's did pretty good keeping up with us TJ and YJ drivers. But the XJs that got used developed ripples in the body between the lower rear side glass and the hatch, and stress cracks throughout. The unit body could not handle the stress of no frame.

You must have been through some insane stuff... normally some flexing in a rock garden isn't going to kill the unit body like that.

Sub BoughtXJ
.............Universal torque spec
Do until
SoldXJ = True
.....Tighten until it gets loose again,
.......WheelXJ..............back it off a quarter turn.
.......BreakXJ...............If it breaks it needed to be replaced anyway.
.......RepairXJ
......UpgradeXJ
Loop
End Sub
razor02097 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2011, 07:23 AM   #11
CF Veteran

View caged's Photo Album My Photos
1990 Cherokee

i have two tj's and two xj's.

i say go for it. you can always get another xj later, for far less money than a tj. you'd be crazy if you didn't.

i like my tj's. both are daily driver/weekend warriors with budget boost and 33's. both 4.0L and ax15 and crappy d35 rear axles (sport models).

i like the fact you can take the top and doors off for a nice cruise.
the yak drives one as her dd and she wheels the crap out of it. it always drives home.

but if i could, i would almost always grab the keys for the xj. it's way more comfortable.
1997 tj 2 inch bb, 33 trxus, trailhead customs tube fenders, titan 10k winch
1999 tj 2 inch bb, 2 inch bl, 33 mtr
1949 cj3a
all plated, insured and driven

OF4WD #3875
caged is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2011, 08:31 AM   #12
CF Veteran

View jcwclm's Photo Album My Photos
2000,1990,1999 Cherokee

Quote:
Originally Posted by XJ Rat View Post

Yeah, don't think a yj will outwheel an xj in most situations. Tj, yes probably, but not a yj.
Old 10-01-2011, 01:28 PM   #13
Registered Users

View XJ Knight's Photo Album My Photos
2001 Cherokee
Send a message via AIM to XJ Knight Send a message via Skype™ to XJ Knight

Uh Um Um can you afford to own both?? Thats really the only way to win even though you can't go wrong with either or
XJ Knight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2011, 12:01 PM   #14

View pelexj90's Photo Album My Photos
96 Cherokee

i decided to keep my xj it was only 2.5l and i thought about it and i put way too much time/money into mine lol.
pelexj90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2011, 12:20 PM   #15
Registered Users

View XJ Knight's Photo Album My Photos
2001 Cherokee
Send a message via AIM to XJ Knight Send a message via Skype™ to XJ Knight

The I4 does leave a something to be desired.. Good call
XJ Knight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2011, 12:20 PM

submit to reddit
Go Back   Jeep Cherokee Forum > General > Cherokee Chat