Why to avoid Rough Country

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-2016, 05:49 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1991
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0L I6
Default Why to avoid Rough Country

So today I called rough country to let them know that the coil springs they sent me for my cherokee are too tall. I originally had them on my 2000 Jeep XJ for about 10-12K miles before I totaled it and salvaged all the parts I could.

I put the coil springs on my new jeep (1993 XJ) along with all the other parts I purchased.

I spent 600+ 3 years ago, and then another 200+ over the past 3 months with Rough country alone.

They were great to replace my leaf springs under warranty, Chase (sales manager) sent them out to me immediately and it was a pleasure working with him.

It wasnt until I got everything situated on my new jeep that I noticed it was sitting higher in the front by a full 3 inches. Gave me death wobble, bought a new track bar, did another alignment after the new trackbar, new bushings the whole 9 yards.

At first I thought it was the sway bar, so I got new links and that didnt correct it. So I called rough country and went over my coils with CHRIS, who upon discovering that I had been sent the WRONG COILS, went to tell me I had to purchase new ones (even though i am under the 5-year warranty). I asked to speak to the manager (Ryan), only to have chris hang up on me, and then avoid picking up the phone to speak to me. I spoke to Joey, Spencer, then Ryan. who told me that because I had the coils for 3 years without complaints he cannot offer me new ones under the warranty.

So I am here to ask you fellow cherokee owners to help right this injustice by sharing this post with everyone who is considering buying rough country components.

If anyone has 3" coil springs they are looking to get rid of, or sell for a fair price I am open until these guys honor their warranty.

All the best

Name:  20160827_181011_zpsa9o32og5.jpg
Views: 172
Size:  349.5 KB
Name:  20160827_180635_zpsak1uwztb.jpg
Views: 185
Size:  297.6 KB
Name:  20160830_174722_zps6pvhouvn.jpg
Views: 228
Size:  327.7 KB
Name:  20160830_174749_zpsated8pca.jpg
Views: 189
Size:  407.1 KB

Last edited by GooseJeep; 08-30-2016 at 05:59 PM.
Old 08-30-2016, 05:54 PM
CF Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 1993
Engine: 4.0

Make a YouTube video,,that always gets their attention. Lol
Old 08-30-2016, 05:56 PM

Originally Posted by 93XJeeper
Make a YouTube video,,that always gets their attention. Lol
Seriously? I'll do it man. This is depressing, I gotta pay for coils, and another alignment.
Old 08-30-2016, 06:03 PM
CF Veteran

Year: 1999
Engine: 4.0L Inline 6

You know the front fenders are supposed to have more space to the tire than the rear to have a level Jeep right? This eliminates the factory "rake" they come with and IMHO, looks better.

I'm not sure if the 3 inches has anything to do with the springs needing to settle, although 3 inches does sound extreme so I agree there's probably a problem or wrong part issued.

Your original post shares no information about the lift you bought and what you expected to receive and what you did receive. But it sounds like you should just get on the phone again and have them send you another free replacement.

I will admit when I used Rough Country, I had problems a lot with the wrong parts being sent. It's because they hire people who don't necessarily know their parts too well. Sometimes they hire a Ford person and they know nothing about Jeeps, so they send you a part they think is right and you realize it's wrong mid-install.

Seriously though, it's not like I ever really complained about getting free replacements.... especially when I was allowed to keep the wrong parts and sell them online for profit.

If you ever need to deal with someone, Spencer is a great guy.

P.S. Get some extended brake lines.

Last edited by thatXJguy; 08-30-2016 at 06:05 PM.
Old 08-30-2016, 06:04 PM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by GooseJeep
Seriously? I'll do it man. This is depressing, I gotta pay for coils, and another alignment.
yea, it seems that in every case, rough country will ignore the person there screwing, but then if that person makes enough attention, then rough country will try to shut them up by finnally giving them there money back, exchanging the product, or just trying to make up for it with other free stuff. That's what the pabst boys did.
Old 08-30-2016, 06:09 PM

Year: 1995

Think about it:
3 years of use and completely happy.
Now you want free coils
Nope- world don't spin that way
Old 08-30-2016, 06:14 PM

I originally purchased an 3 inch X series 2 lift, with full springs. Steering stabalizer, t-case drop kit. Everything was fine on my 2000 for the most part. Ryan chase says he cannot honor the warranty because I changed the part to my new jeep. But its bound to the vehicle its the part itself thats covered.
Old 08-30-2016, 06:15 PM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by AceWhite
Think about it: 3 years of use and completely happy. Now you want free coils Nope- world don't spin that way
true, he probably should have contacted them when he first got the springs new.
Old 08-30-2016, 06:17 PM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by thatXJguy
Sometimes they hire a Ford person and they know nothing about Jeeps, so they send you a part they think is right and you realize it's wrong mid-install.
You should see the Chevy guys who they hire to make the cheap parts in the first place. Lol
Old 08-30-2016, 06:18 PM

Originally Posted by AceWhite
Think about it:
3 years of use and completely happy.
Now you want free coils
Nope- world don't spin that way
Im not unhappy, the car drives, it's nose is 3 inches higher than the rear. And in 3 years I did 12K miles at most. I did not daily drive my XJ.

The COIL is covered, not the vehicle its on and for 3 years it was the wrong coil.
Old 08-30-2016, 06:24 PM
CF Veteran

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Im not unhappy, the car drives, it's nose is 3 inches higher than the rear. And in 3 years I did 12K miles at most. I did not daily drive my XJ.

The COIL is covered, not the vehicle its on and for 3 years it was the wrong coil.
You sure sound unhappy. They never made a 2 inch lift to my knowledge. And your waiting 3 years to complain?
Old 08-30-2016, 06:26 PM
CF Veteran

And how did they conclude you were sent the wrong stuff?
Old 08-30-2016, 06:35 PM
CF Veteran

Engine: 4.0L Inline 6

P.S. You need extended brake lines lol.
Old 08-30-2016, 07:15 PM

Originally Posted by Martlor13
And how did they conclude you were sent the wrong stuff?
Yes, the sent me the wrong coils, but because I had not noticed the severity of the front lift until I put them on my 93 I did not complain. But I am entitled to a replacement, I can wait 4.5 years and if something is wrong their warranty states that I can get a replacement. Im offering to send them back for them to assess or what not. I cant pay for new coils + new alignment all over again.

To answer the other fellow who said I cant wait 3 years to complain,
its a 5 year warranty. I have 5 years to file a claim, here is my claim, just because I did not notice it sooner does not mean it is not present.
Old 08-30-2016, 07:29 PM
CF Veteran

Yes, the sent me the wrong coils, but because I had not noticed the severity of the front lift until I put them on my 93 I did not complain. But I am entitled to a replacement, I can wait 4.5 years and if something is wrong their warranty states that I can get a replacement. Im offering to send them back for them to assess or what not. I cant pay for new coils + new alignment all over again.

To answer the other fellow who said I cant wait 3 years to complain,
its a 5 year warranty. I have 5 years to file a claim, here is my claim, just because I did not notice it sooner does not mean it is not present.
Don't know what their warranty states but I would assume they would send replacements if the coils broke or failed. To me it just seems easy for anyone to put something on, say it's wrong and demand a free replacement.

Quick Reply: Why to avoid Rough Country