Sponsored by: DashLynx

When the Check Gauges light comes on...

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-2015, 10:47 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1999
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0
Default When the Check Gauges light comes on...

I have a 99 XJ, manual with about 162xxx miles on it and this is my Check Gauges story -

About 2 weeks ago, while on a 200 mile trip, the Check Gauges light came on, I checked the gauges, everything seemed fine so I kept going. I got home without any issues but I did notice that the oil pressure sometimes would drop down a bit, never to 0 and only when I was stopped. After a bit of research, it seemed that it was a relatively common occurrence and that it wasn't necessarily an indication of anything major. I decided that I would get an oil change and see if that had any impact on the oil pressure issue.

Unfortunately, I've had to travel quite a bit recently and haven't had the time to look into it or get my oil changed. The check engine light has been coming on intermittently and the oil pressure has been fluctuating a bit but everything seemed to be working fine so I just kept going. Last Tuesday, I took a 10 mile drive and when I pulled into the parking lot of my destination, the motor shuddered and stalled. I started it and pulled into a parking spot but when I got out I could smell coolant. I opened the hood and the overflow reservoir was about half way full and the engine seemed to be overheating.

I got back in, put the key in the ignition, turned it to the on position and checked the gauges, the engine temp was fully maxed out. I let it sit over night and then came back in the morning. There was a garage about 10 minutes from where I was and I decided to drive there. I started it, no problem, drove to the shop, everything is running smoothly, the temp gauge is a little below the mid way mark. I tried turning on the heater on the way and there was no heat. I get to the shop, shut off the engine and decide to turn the key to the off position then back to on and check the temp - its maxed out again.

The shop I'm at is Balcuns in Amanagasett on Long Island. They replaced the thermostat but have concluded that the issue is much bigger. They told me that I've either blown the head gasket or cracked the head (they said that this is common on Jeeps but I know its not for my year) or both and that its a $2000 job give or take a couple of hundred. I'm about 300 miles away from home, with very few options, and pretty much stranded without my Jeep. Needless to say, this sucks and I feel that if I had taken a bit more time to dive into the possible causes of the Check Gauges warning, I might not be in this predicament.

Live and learn.

Last edited by nychawk; 08-17-2015 at 11:03 PM. Reason: spelling