Cherokee Chat General non-tech Cherokee chat
XJ/MJ/ZJ/WJ
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Water in oil, oil out of exhaust but no smoke??

Search this Thread

Old 11-26-2015, 07:22 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default Water in oil, oil out of exhaust but no smoke??

I got a 96 XJ I went wheelin pretty hard now a few days later I got oil coming out of exhaust and I have muddy water on my dip stick but it's not smoking?? What could b wrong? I'd hate to sell it if it's not a big deal and easy fix but I don't wanna keep it if the motor is FUBAR. Any advice?
Old 11-26-2015, 07:41 AM
CF Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Year: 99
Engine: 4.0

**** son! How deep did ya go? Could be the cat gave up, unless that is definitely oil and not just a lot of carbon.. Did you pull spark plugs? Drain any fluids? Pull the valve cover? Hows the coolant look?
Old 11-26-2015, 07:51 AM

Originally Posted by VTJeep
**** son! How deep did ya go? Could be the cat gave up, unless that is definitely oil and not just a lot of carbon.. Did you pull spark plugs? Drain any fluids? Pull the valve cover? Hows the coolant look?

That's what started all of this I just noticed this problem this morning n I went wheelin Sunday I got a lot of water in the oil n it seems like it's not running right I ran carb cleaner through it but I haven't pulled plugs yet. It comes out looking like oil but it drys up almost instantly and its powdery so I'm thinking its carbon
Old 11-26-2015, 08:08 AM
::CF Administrator::

Received 770 Likes on 524 Posts
Year: 97
Model: Cherokee (XJ)
Engine: 4.6 stroker

Thrown any codes?

Also, why would you just give up on it if the motor is bad?
Old 11-26-2015, 08:19 AM
CF Veteran

Don't run it for now.. It sounds like your cat is done for. Please please please observe site rules/federal laws about catalytic converters!! I'd recommend verifying its condition. If its failed, the jeep will run rough and won't accelerate over (usually) ~40mph.. If your fluids are contaminated then a little carb cleaner won't help a bit. Honestly carb cleaner doesn't have any business in our jeeps. Use TB or MAF cleaner if working on the TB and theres plenty of argument to support the fact that Sea Foam is less effective that regular water when it comes to removing carbon from intake. Good time to drain fluids and make sure nothing else was compromised.

EDIT: A thought- this could go in the tech section if you like.. You're asking for technical advice so it would fit.. Plus you might get more responses.. Just a thought!

Last edited by VTJeep; 11-26-2015 at 08:22 AM.
Old 11-26-2015, 08:27 AM

Don't run it for now.. It sounds like your cat is done for. Please please please observe site rules/federal laws about catalytic converters!! I'd recommend verifying its condition. If its failed, the jeep will run rough and won't accelerate over (usually) ~40mph.. If your fluids are contaminated then a little carb cleaner won't help a bit. Honestly carb cleaner doesn't have any business in our jeeps. Use TB or MAF cleaner if working on the TB and theres plenty of argument to support the fact that Sea Foam is less effective that regular water when it comes to removing carbon from intake. Good time to drain fluids and make sure nothing else was compromised.

EDIT: A thought- this could go in the tech section if you like.. You're asking for technical advice so it would fit.. Plus you might get more responses.. Just a thought!
It's defiantly carbon blowin out the pipe my air filter was still soaked I took it out and did a test lap w/o air filter and its running strong still needs oil change bad and a little TLC but it looks good n runs good so far
Old 11-26-2015, 08:29 AM

Originally Posted by roninofako
Thrown any codes?

Also, why would you just give up on it if the motor is bad?
Actually my check engine light went off and I ran it a little n motor sounds strong just needs another tune up and I have already sunk 3x what the jeeps worth in it and I just spent $1000 to get my F-150 fixed n I need money more than I need a broken jeep
Old 11-26-2015, 08:30 AM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by DJBARR
It's defiantly carbon blowin out the pipe my air filter was still soaked I took it out and did a test lap w/o air filter and its running strong still needs oil change bad and a little TLC but it looks good n runs good so far
Well I'm glad its running, but if theres water in your oil (or some contaminant) then you should really get on that. Kinda odd its running strong with that much carbon coming out.. Does strong mean exactly as strong as before it happened?
Old 11-26-2015, 08:40 AM

Well I'm glad its running, but if theres water in your oil (or some contaminant) then you should really get on that. Kinda odd its running strong with that much carbon coming out.. Does strong mean exactly as strong as before it happened?
Yea actually good throttle response got it up to a decent speed it's not stuttering, backfiring, or stalling. I think I'm got some bearings that need greased but I'm not worried about that. Antifreeze looks decent may need to b changed in the future but no oil in it. I might have freaked out a little too soon since I just got off a 12 hour shift came home n saw that at 2 a.m. N I panicked lol i don't have any luck with the XJ everytime I take it out something breaks n I get a little paranoid latly
Old 11-26-2015, 08:44 AM
CF Veteran

Yea actually good throttle response got it up to a decent speed it's not stuttering, backfiring, or stalling. I think I'm got some bearings that need greased but I'm not worried about that. Antifreeze looks decent may need to b changed in the future but no oil in it. I might have freaked out a little too soon since I just got off a 12 hour shift came home n saw that at 2 a.m. N I panicked lol i don't have any luck with the XJ everytime I take it out something breaks n I get a little paranoid latly
haha, can't blame ya for the paranoia! I think that falls under the "Jeep thing" category.. Hopefully alls well. Jeeps are funky but reliable. Hopefully alls well.. Keep an eye on that carbon deposit, though. Def pull the plugs (when engines cold!!) just to have a look in there.. Cat might still be suspect.. I assume it was off for a little while submerged. If thats the case, water got up into the exhaust and thats what your seeing now..
Old 11-26-2015, 08:51 AM

haha, can't blame ya for the paranoia! I think that falls under the "Jeep thing" category.. Hopefully alls well. Jeeps are funky but reliable. Hopefully alls well.. Keep an eye on that carbon deposit, though. Def pull the plugs (when engines cold!!) just to have a look in there.. Cat might still be suspect.. I assume it was off for a little while submerged. If thats the case, water got up into the exhaust and thats what your seeing now..
10-4 thanks for ur help btw do u kno where I can get a good snorkel kit to put on that's not stupidly expensive
Old 11-26-2015, 10:31 AM
CF Veteran

10-4 thanks for ur help btw do u kno where I can get a good snorkel kit to put on that's not stupidly expensive
haha, shameless self promotion time! Click the "home-brew snorkel" link in my sig, it's the cheapest way I know how to make a snorkel. Theres nothing supporting the need to buy expensive ones. The risk of taking on water is so minimal. But if you need a full length one theres a couple write ups on the web. You can do site-specific google searches to look up other threads on here. Search google like this: site:cherokeeforum.com homemade snorkel . Or whatever your site/search criteria needs are..

EDIT: The comments in the link might just be the best part of it all..