Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Undecided on jeep setup

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-2015, 07:44 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default Undecided on jeep setup

I've had my jeep for a while and not sure how to build it up. She has a 4"ish in the front and her rear, her leaf springs are goin flat and im wanting to get her a little higher, or lower, can't decide. I don't want a be a rock crawler, or a mud bogger, but more of in the middle as an exploration vehicle (for now mainly a mall crawler as I don't live near many trails). My ideas are...

-3.5" on 31's
-4.5" on 33's
-5.5" on 33's or 35's

Nothing is actually difficult, probably just overthinkin my overall ideal build lol. Not crazy about a long arm kit as I wont get much use out of it. Im hoping to run a rough country front bumper and winch, eventually a rear bumper that's not stock so I don't want the weight the jeep down and lose too much height. I already have an 8.25 rear axle re-geared (to what im not sure) for my 33's
If I go 5.5" should I get the 5.5 coils (RE), a 4.5 leafs (RE) with a 1-1.5" shackle?

Any ideas woiuld be greatly appreciated! Im not sure about where to have gone with this "problem" so if im in the wrong area I do apologize lol

Last edited by Longboard_757; 09-10-2015 at 08:30 PM.
Old 09-10-2015, 08:08 PM
::CF Administrator::

Received 770 Likes on 524 Posts
Year: 97
Model: Cherokee (XJ)
Engine: 4.6 stroker

Originally Posted by Longboard_757
I've had my jeep for a while and not sure how to build it up. She has a 4"ish in the front and her rear, her leaf springs are goin flat and im wanting to get her a little higher, or lower, can't decide. I don't want a be a rock crawler, or a mud bogger, but more of in the middle as an exploration vehicle (for now mainly a mall crawler as I don't live near many trails). My ideas are...

-3.5" on 31's
-4.5" on 33's
-5.5" on 33's or 34's

Nothing is actually difficult, probably just overthinkin my overall ideal build lol. Not crazy about a long arm kit as I wont get much use out of it. Im hoping to run a rough country front bumper and winch, eventually a rear bumper that's not stock so I don't want the weight the jeep down and lose too much height.
If I go 5.5" should I get the 5.5 coils (RE), a 4.5 leafs (RE) with a 1-1.5" shackle?

Any ideas woiuld be greatly appreciated! Im not sure about where to have gone with this "problem" so if im in the wrong area I do apologize lol
Just remember the higher you go, the higher the price, and more needs to be done to get performance closer to "stock config".

You may not want a crawler, but if you daily this thing at all, seriously consider the long arm option...yes, more money, but better ride quality on and off road. At the heights and tire sizes you're wanting, remember to pull it off properly, you'll need extended brake lines, an sye, regear to accommodate larger tires...if you want the best bang for your buck, without all the added cost, your first option will be the best one. A lot less to deal with, but performance in this package is good...what I HIGHLY suggest you do, is go wheeling in your current config. Then decide what you want and/or need from there.
Old 09-10-2015, 08:22 PM
::Regional Moderator::

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Year: 1986
Engine: 2.8

First, keep looking at bumpers. There are so many nice bumpers out there. The RC one is kind of, well, not my taste. Guess that's my opinion, but it's too dang clunky.

Secondly, one of the best cheap setups I ran was a 3" XJ/XJ bastard pack, 3" RE coils, used fixed lowers, HD Off Road shackle relos, Tereflex shackles, JK front shocks, F150 rear shocks, and 33x12.5x15 TSL's on 3.75" backspaces wheels. It looks good, it works well, and it doesn't put a dent in the old wallet.
Old 09-10-2015, 08:36 PM

Thanks guys! I will definitely look more into those ideas. I like the height I have, fun as hell. But if its not needed and I cant get more by going just a bit lower, would be all too happy to do it! Still kinda..well VERY new to the jeep scene (despite owning mine for a while), didn't know you can add ALL that to a jeep (Ford shocks, jk shocks, and all those other things added together)
Old 09-10-2015, 08:47 PM
::CF Administrator::

Received 770 Likes on 524 Posts
Year: 97
Model: Cherokee (XJ)
Engine: 4.6 stroker

Remember, in stock form, these things rock the house offroad...which is why they make a great base for mods. Start with a great platform, and your end result will be that much better.

Emptypockets makes a good point, you can get great results from mixing and matching the right parts...but make sure you know what you're getting into when doing so. Research. Then research some more.

You stated in your earlier post about running the RE springs...great choice. And, not too costly. I really suggest poking around the forum and reading up, yeah, it's a lot of info, but well worth your time if it saves you headache and dollars.
Old 09-10-2015, 08:57 PM

Originally Posted by roninofako
Remember, in stock form, these things rock the house offroad...which is why they make a great base for mods. Start with a great platform, and your end result will be that much better.

Emptypockets makes a good point, you can get great results from mixing and matching the right parts...but make sure you know what you're getting into when doing so. Research. Then research some more.

You stated in your earlier post about running the RE springs...great choice. And, not too costly. I really suggest poking around the forum and reading up, yeah, it's a lot of info, but well worth your time if it saves you headache and dollars.
Will do! Might take you up on going down in size with the mix and match of emptypockets. But the longarm does sound enticing if itll do well both on and off road. BUT off to research lol. I'll report back my findings/ideas then
Old 09-10-2015, 09:13 PM
::Regional Moderator::

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Year: 1986
Engine: 2.8

Here's a pic of my rig when I was running the setup I mentioned. She's a bit bigger now. It really did work well and it looked good.
Attached Thumbnails Undecided on jeep setup-image.jpg  
Old 10-24-2015, 12:40 PM

Hey guys! Been a while and been busy (school, work, family, and jaw surgery). I managed to get the 4.5inch x-series lift (rough country) from a friend who had it tucked away in his garage and was in a bind and needed $350. (about a $500 saving lol). Decided for stock bumpers all around with some fender flares for a touch. Added up the cost of various springs, leafs, 1-2"drop brackets and thought getting a pretty beefy lift kit for roughly the same amount would be better for me in the long run. I can even get the long arm conversion later down the road when I acquire the funds. Might build up a second jeep and will more than likely end up looking like the picture you posted here emplytpockets. That's one of the sweetest jeeps I've seen!
Old 10-24-2015, 01:16 PM
CF Veteran

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
Year: 1999
Engine: 4.0

Slow down a little, with 4 1/2" of lift you will need an SYE installed not a TC drop kit for sure. So might as well plan on that cost also and labor if your not able to do it yourself. You will also need a new driveshaft for the rear when you change over.

If it was in fact re-geared properly for the 33's it should be a 4.56 gear in it you are fine. With that gear and that size lift I run a 33x12:50 and a set of 35x12:50 tires both it works ok with the 35's on beadlocks but I trailer it to where I'm going with them. If you haven't trimmed the fenders yet you should before you install new flares then you have more room to flex it out.

Here is mine with the 33x12:50's on it and 4 1/2" of lift.
Name:  Jeep3-29-14025_zps8fac6a93.jpg
Views: 18868
Size:  76.6 KB
Old 10-24-2015, 05:08 PM

Understood, I do believe it has been re-geared by the previous owner because of such low rpm's when driving compared to other jeeps that are close to spittin image (lift and tire) and their rpms are a bit higher than mine at the same speed (obviously other factors could be involved). The rear axle has been adjusted in regards to the pinion angle (previous owner).

Her fenders have been trimmed up and the rubber coated/protected (i.e. included picture)

I've heard and asked around about the SYE because ive meet quite a few that don't, and quite a few that do and I get many mixed responses on usage and im leaning more towards getting it but with college whoopin my butt ive been debating on droppin this thing off of a cliff and getting either a VW wagon or a 4runner/other similar SUV and keeping it stock. This jeep was bought with the intention of hittin a few trails every once in a while, snow driving, and scenic driving really. Much more fun to drive and explore around in a jeep than in a car
Old 10-24-2015, 05:39 PM
Seasoned Member

Year: 2001
Engine: 4.0L Inline 6

Rule #1 - Figure out what you want to do with it, then build to suit. If all you want to do is occasional mild trails and driving in the snow, it looks like you are already there.

As for the SYE, I have 7.5 inches of lift on the rear with 35's (I play with guys on 37's and 40, so I need the articulation 7+ inches offers, but I don't want to drop the $ to go to 1 ton's and 37's myself!) and am still running the stock slip yoke with the adjusted rear axle like you. It's on my list to do some time, but it's way down at the bottom. I have run this thing on some CRAZY big stuff with no problem. I'm sure some day it'll probably drop out, but with my current set-up I haven't managed to make it happen yet!
Old 12-09-2015, 02:40 PM

Default not sure what I have

Okay I just bought this 99 cherokee xj. The guy said it has a 5.5-6" lift. It messures 23" from the front cent of the wheel to the bottom of the fender flair. The wheel and tire size is 33×12r15. The sway bar ends seem loose and the local shop told me the track bar was bad but it barely moves at all if I grab onto it and pull with everything I have in me to shake it. I can tell the bottom 2 trial arms up front have been replaced and it has a 3" block between the rear axel and leaf spring. The previous owner said it was all rough country but nothing from what I can tell is the same as their site. Can any one help please?
If I hit any kind of bump(doesn't matter if I'm doing 25mph or Goin faster) it shakes like crazy up front like both front wheels are gonna fall off or everything is gonna fall out from underneath the the front end if that helps at all

Front right

Center

Left

Last edited by Jack Engledow; 12-09-2015 at 02:51 PM. Reason: ad pic
Old 12-09-2015, 02:58 PM
CF Veteran

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Year: 1994 SE

Looks like the lower mount of your track bar is about 1/8" away from ripping out and causing havoc.
Old 12-10-2015, 08:04 AM
Seasoned Member

Year: 1998

Originally Posted by jay_sco
Looks like the lower mount of your track bar is about 1/8" away from ripping out and causing havoc.
X2

There's absolutely no way I'd drive that the way it is. The track bar needs to be replace with an adjustable to be done correctly.