Traveling with the XJ... help me make the Jeep Bulletproof

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-2015, 04:44 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 2001
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0L Inline 6
Default Traveling with the XJ... help me make the Jeep Bulletproof

I have decided to do some traveling with the Wife over the course of the next year or so; my vehicle of choice is our 'new' 2001 XJ. Currently we are planning to haul a small pop-up camper behind the Jeep, staying in RV Parks mostly, hopping from location to location every month or so. We want to take the Jeep so we have something with 4x4 and that is trail capable in case we decide to go out adventuring.

I understand that these Jeeps weren't exactly made for hauling much, but I do know there are ways to bulk them up for consistent tow loads. I'm looking for some help as far as prioritizing my upgrades and knowing what exactly to buy to do so. Here are my biggest thoughts so far:
  • Replacing 0331 head BEFORE encountering issues
  • Heavy duty cooling system (need recommendations)
  • Auxilary tranny cooler (read that this might be a good idea, thoughts?)
  • Weight distributing hitch & trailer brakes
  • Cool air intake

All comments are appreciated, because I'm very inexperienced at all of this. I'm just looking to dive in and learn about the Jeep so that I can take care of most issues that may arise on the road.

Picture of the beast:
Old 03-03-2015, 07:55 PM
Banned

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
Year: 2000
Model: Cherokee(XJ)
Engine: Golen 4.6L

That's a good looking rig.

Originally Posted by GoingForBroke
[*]Replacing 0331 head BEFORE encountering issues
YES. Good move.

[*]Heavy duty cooling system (need recommendations)
It doesn't necessarily need to be heavy duty, as long as all the stock components are in good working order. If you do a cooling overhaul, be sure not to forget the fan clutch. The various tests of the fan clutch where you spin it or some such thing do not always work to identify a bad fan clutch. Just go ahead and replace it with the rest of your overhaul. It's really easy when you have the radiator out.

If you have a history of breaking plastic radiators, you might consider a metal one like a CSF or Champion. If you haven't had a history of the plastic ones cracking, you'll likely be fine with an O'Reilladvanceautozone radiator. You will see all sorts of argument on this point.

I'm not convinced the high-flow water pumps or thermostat housings do anything at all to help with cooling. On the other hand, a heavier (16-lb) radiator cap is a good upgrade. Go with Stant (or Carquest, which is made by Stant) for your radiator cap and thermostat.

[*]Cool air intake
You may just want to stick with the stock airbox. A cold air intake really doesn't do a whole lot on a stock 4.0L that a K&N drop-in filter won't give you. All of the CAIs that replace the stock airbox with a cone filter in the same location are still sucking hot air from under the hood, but with less protection of the intake. Those don't give you any advantage except a lighter wallet.

The only CAIs (short of a full snorkel) that actually pull cold air are the cowl intakes like a Spectre or THOR, which require you to cut a 3" hole in your firewall into the cowl. Before buying a cowl intake, however, be sure to listen to some clips of them online. They are NOT quiet, and you and/or your wife may find them annoying. They suck air from right next to the cabin air intake, so that you get a LOT of intake noise piped right into the cabin, without a significant gain in performance.

I like my Spectre personally, but my rig is being built to be a little bit obnoxious and has a 4.6L stroker in it that can make use of the cold air. I'm not sure I would put one on a stock 4.0, especially one I was planning to do a lot of long distance driving in, unless you need it to interfere with conversation.
Old 03-03-2015, 10:23 PM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Year: 1993
Model: Grand Cherokee
Engine: 5.2

My peace of mind upgrade was one of those 3' wide trailer hitch steps.

I don't know why... but people always and I mean ALWAYS nearly rear end me...even though it's lifted and has big(ger) tires. HOW CAN YOU NOT SEE ME.

Makes no sense because it rarely happens when I drive my other car, which is so low I always lose it in parking lots if I don't be sure to note exactly where it is.

I got the Harbor Freight one for $25. I'm sure they change suppliers all the time, but the one I got is pretty solid. I saw an old abandoned office desk one day in an industrial area already full of trash... ran over it (in reverse) and totally destroyed it.
Old 03-04-2015, 12:50 AM
CF Veteran

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Have triple A or road side on your insurance.
Old 03-04-2015, 10:32 AM

Originally Posted by extrashaky

It doesn't necessarily need to be heavy duty, as long as all the stock components are in good working order. If you do a cooling overhaul, be sure not to forget the fan clutch. The various tests of the fan clutch where you spin it or some such thing do not always work to identify a bad fan clutch. Just go ahead and replace it with the rest of your overhaul. It's really easy when you have the radiator out.

If you have a history of breaking plastic radiators, you might consider a metal one like a CSF or Champion. If you haven't had a history of the plastic ones cracking, you'll likely be fine with an O'Reilladvanceautozone radiator. You will see all sorts of argument on this point.

I'm not convinced the high-flow water pumps or thermostat housings do anything at all to help with cooling. On the other hand, a heavier (16-lb) radiator cap is a good upgrade. Go with Stant (or Carquest, which is made by Stant) for your radiator cap and thermostat.
Perfect, this is the kind of info I was looking for.

Also, My steering isn't the tightest. What are some of the things I should check first to eliminate play in the steering wheel?
Old 03-04-2015, 02:12 PM
CF Veteran

Year: 1997
Engine: 2.5 td

Your travel plans would be good to read about and view your trip with photo's and an update on your adventure, please bare this in mind as would be interesting especially for those of us from other areas of the world.
Good luck and hope you both enjoy, ps, xj looks great.
Old 03-04-2015, 02:59 PM

Originally Posted by bullettooth2008
Your travel plans would be good to read about and view your trip with photo's and an update on your adventure, please bare this in mind as would be interesting especially for those of us from other areas of the world.
Good luck and hope you both enjoy, ps, xj looks great.
Thank you! I will definitely be sharing our adventure on this website! Also, we have created a Youtube channel to document our adventures across the country. As soon as we get things up and running I'll be sure to post links to that channel and those vids, along with pics of our rig of course!
Old 03-04-2015, 03:02 PM
CF Veteran

Year: 1997
Engine: 2.5 td

Thank you! I will definitely be sharing our adventure on this website! Also, we have created a Youtube channel to document our adventures across the country. As soon as we get things up and running I'll be sure to post links to that channel and those vids, along with pics of our rig of course!
Great I look forward to viewing your travel.
Old 03-04-2015, 04:43 PM

Year: 1999
Engine: 4.0

If it were me, I would be doing all the maintenance if it hasn't been done recently. By that I mean:

Other than that and the head which you already mentioned, I would trust the Jeep. They're pretty bulletproof.
    Old 03-05-2015, 08:27 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
    Engine: Four Point Slow

Personally, I would feel better with a new high quality fuel pump, and a new OEM crank sensor. These trucks are 15+ years old, and electronic parts always seem to fail on those cold, rainy nights far from home.

Check your track bar and tie rod ends for steering wheel play.

Check your belt and your coolant hoses.

Most XJ's are rock solid reliable, I'd trust mine anywhere, but Triple A / AAA seems like it would be a great idea if you are travelling a lot, no matter what you drive. Any vehicle can fail.
    Old 03-05-2015, 08:45 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
    Year: 1996

I'd also upgrade your rear drum brakes to the ZJ disk conversion. As far as cooling you can do the Taurus electric fan. On top of replacing fuel pump for a sound mind fuel filter should be replaced to. Upgraded injectors 784s. To caveat on the air intake cowl intakes do wonders but they do drone on with noise. For extended travel I would just get a better in box filter. Good luck on your travels
    Old 03-05-2015, 11:04 AM
    CF Veteran

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
    Year: 1998
    Default Common sense

ALL fluids/filters, plugs, wires, t-stat, etc. These are probably the most fundamental to your goal.

I personally would not be too concerned about overkill on certain things (heavy-duty cooling system), but you will be doing yourself a service by having all systems checked and corrected as necessary before your trip.

As an example, I have several thousand dollars invested in my '98 Sport and I am very familiar with it and would not hesitate to take it anywhere at anytime. Other than the wheels/suspension/transfer case/ driveline it is bone-stock and meticulously maintained.

When my wife and I loaded down and drove to the Az. desert last year, I drove it fast and hard for 18 straight hours with zero problems. One day on the way to work however, the original starter (207,000 miles) gave out with no warning.

The moral of the story? It's a machine and it will cease to function properly sometimes even when taken great care of.

Have a fun trip!
    Old 03-05-2015, 11:46 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
    Year: 1996

Originally Posted by 4WD4EVER
    ALL fluids/filters, plugs, wires, t-stat, etc. These are probably the most fundamental to your goal. I personally would not be too concerned about overkill on certain things (heavy-duty cooling system), but you will be doing yourself a service by having all systems checked and corrected as necessary before your trip. As an example, I have several thousand dollars invested in my '98 Sport and I am very familiar with it and would not hesitate to take it anywhere at anytime. Other than the wheels/suspension/transfer case/ driveline it is bone-stock and meticulously maintained. When my wife and I loaded down and drove to the Az. desert last year, I drove it fast and hard for 18 straight hours with zero problems. One day on the way to work however, the original starter (207,000 miles) gave out with no warning. The moral of the story? It's a machine and it will cease to function properly sometimes even when taken great care of. Have a fun trip!

^this guy knows what's up... Those should be the main concern then all the goodies
    Old 03-05-2015, 12:13 PM
    CF Veteran

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

My only advice on your "Off Roading" while traveling is to keep in mind that it is your "Only" way to move your camper. Other than that have a great trip!
    Old 03-05-2015, 04:22 PM

Wonderful!

Thank you all for the words of advice. AAA is an absolute must, and I already have it on my insurance for the Jeep. The next couple weeks I will be dedicating my extra time to combing through the motor, making sure everything looks good.

We are definitely looking forward to the journey; we are planning to leave at the beginning of May!

Quick Reply: Traveling with the XJ... help me make the Jeep Bulletproof