Old 09-12-2014, 09:08 AM
Seasoned Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Year: 1990
Model: Cherokee
Engine: inline 6
Default Trailer wiring connector?

Hi guys.

I have a small trailer with tail lights I want to use with my XJ.

Before I dig into the rear XJ wiring or read my XJ shop manual, can anybody tell me if XJ's have a factory OEM provision already installed or available near the rear lights? Some vehicles come with towing "packages" that have a plug already installed.

Installing the connector for the lights is stupid simple, but I thought I'd ask before I install my aftermarket connector.

Anybody know?
Old 09-12-2014, 01:03 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1988
Engine: 4.0l

Not sure about the 1990 but on my 1988 I had to install an aftermarket one. I bought one from Advance Auto that has a converter for the separate blinker/brake light. There is no factory 'connector' to plug into.

I tied into the factory harness behind the spare tire/qtr panel trim. Wasn't hard to do with a meter or even a simple test light.

Good luck!
Old 09-12-2014, 05:53 PM
Seasoned Member

Originally Posted by 1arunem
Not sure about the 1990 but on my 1988 I had to install an aftermarket one. I bought one from Advance Auto that has a converter for the separate blinker/brake light. There is no factory 'connector' to plug into.

I tied into the factory harness behind the spare tire/qtr panel trim. Wasn't hard to do with a meter or even a simple test light.

Good luck!
Did you need the connector with the converter? I was under the impression you didn't.

I'm thinking I can pull the left taillight, and I'll find all the wires right there.

If not, I'll go in behind the spare.

It's simple to do; I just don't want to do the installation then have someone mention there's a factory connector somewhere else.

Then again.. .it wouldn't be the end of the world if there was one.

Screw it.. I'll go ahead and stick this one on.
Old 09-12-2014, 11:08 PM
CF Veteran

Received 342 Likes on 232 Posts
Year: 2001
Model: Cherokee (XJ)

there is a connector behind the rear cargo area panel on the drivers side. My after market trailer harness plugged right inline, no splicing. Its also where I believe the factory converter plugs in as well.

see here: http://jeepin.com/features/trailerwiring

Last edited by Veeb0rg; 09-12-2014 at 11:16 PM.
Old 09-13-2014, 06:58 AM
Seasoned Member

Originally Posted by Veeb0rg
there is a connector behind the rear cargo area panel on the drivers side. My after market trailer harness plugged right inline, no splicing. Its also where I believe the factory converter plugs in as well.

see here: http://jeepin.com/features/trailerwiring
That's what I was referring to. No luck on searches though.

I searched for 1990 XJ T connector wiring harness on ebay, walmart, and google but no 90 XJ specific harnesses came up.

So, I'm going with the little generic 4 wire connector spliced into the wiring harness behind the spare.

I hardly ever use the trailer. But, I painted it to match the truck, and it's got some nice LED rear lights and 2 halogen back up lights, so it's getting wired anyway, just for sheets and giggles. lol
Old 09-13-2014, 07:51 AM
::CF Moderator::

Received 1,526 Likes on 1,238 Posts
Engine: 4.0

Originally Posted by jdjonesdr
That's what I was referring to. No luck on searches though.

I searched for 1990 XJ T connector wiring harness on ebay, walmart, and google but no 90 XJ specific harnesses came up.

So, I'm going with the little generic 4 wire connector spliced into the wiring harness behind the spare.

I hardly ever use the trailer. But, I painted it to match the truck, and it's got some nice LED rear lights and 2 halogen back up lights, so it's getting wired anyway, just for sheets and giggles. lol
If it didn't come with the factory hitch, that's what you have to do. But you need a converter....
Old 09-16-2014, 12:33 PM
Seasoned Member

Originally Posted by cruiser54
If it didn't come with the factory hitch, that's what you have to do. But you need a converter....
I'm just about convinced I don't need the converter, and here's why:

I've been doing searches up the ying yang, and every converter/adapter I find is for 91-96, and 97 up.

Search for a 1990 wiring adapter, and I don't get zilch.

Those converters are usually needed when the brake light does double duty as the turn signal.

I've got separate bulbs for each function (stop, signal, brake, and back up) so for the life of me, I can't see why I couldn't just splice the wires into the existing harness.

My only issue is I've got a 4 wire connector, which means if I hook up everything, there's no wire left for a ground, so the ball and hitch would have to function as the ground.

It's either that, or buy a 5 wire flat connector.

All of this is probably overkill anyway, because I don't have a use for the trailer. I would just like to have lights if I ever do.

I just got my "Ravine" rims, so throwing them on is going to be the next task at hand , and lights will be right after that.

Last edited by jdjonesdr; 09-16-2014 at 12:35 PM.
Old 09-16-2014, 12:41 PM

Originally Posted by jdjonesdr
I'm just about convinced I don't need the converter, and here's why:

I've been doing searches up the ying yang, and every converter/adapter I find is for 91-96, and 97 up.

Search for a 1990 wiring adapter, and I don't get zilch.

Those converters are usually needed when the brake light does double duty as the turn signal.

I've got separate bulbs for each function (stop, signal, brake, and back up) so for the life of me, I can't see why I couldn't just splice the wires into the existing harness.

My only issue is I've got a 4 wire connector, which means if I hook up everything, there's no wire left for a ground, so the ball and hitch would have to function as the ground.

It's either that, or buy a 5 wire flat connector.

All of this is probably overkill anyway, because I don't have a use for the trailer. I would just like to have lights if I ever do.

I just got my "Ravine" rims, so throwing them on is going to be the next task at hand , and lights will be right after that.
You have it backwards. A converter is NOT required when the brake and turn signal use the same filament..

Get a universal converter.
Old 09-16-2014, 12:58 PM

I had to get one with a converter. My Jeep (1988) had no such 'plug/connector' as it did not come with a tow package..

I want to say the harness (with built in converter
) was twenty something dollars from Advance Auto Parts.
Old 09-16-2014, 01:15 PM

I had to get one with a converter. My Jeep (1988) had no such 'plug/connector' as it did not come with a tow package..

I want to say the harness (with built in converter
) was twenty something dollars from Advance Auto Parts.
Exactly
Old 09-16-2014, 02:38 PM

P.S. I also installed a heavy duty flasher. The turn signals would flash too quickly with the trailer hooked up due to the extra load on the oem flasher..

You can pick one of those up at Advance or similar parts store for a few bucks.
Old 09-17-2014, 07:37 AM
Seasoned Member

P.S. I also installed a heavy duty flasher. The turn signals would flash too quickly with the trailer hooked up due to the extra load on the oem flasher..

You can pick one of those up at Advance or similar parts store for a few bucks.
I've got LED tail lights, so that probably won't be an issue.
Old 09-17-2014, 07:39 AM
Seasoned Member

Originally Posted by cruiser54
You have it backwards. A converter is NOT required when the brake and turn signal use the same filament..

Get a universal converter.
Got one you would recommend? Remember, I don't have pep boys or Advanced auto down here.

Searches are not giving me anything, unless I'm not using the correct description for what I need.
Old 09-17-2014, 04:14 PM

I want to say this is the one I used..

Hopkins lighting P/N 46155.. Maybe you can find someone near you that has it or order online. I believe it was around $29 at Advance Auto.

http://www.hopkinstowingsolutions.co...n_signals.html
Old 09-18-2014, 07:03 AM
Seasoned Member

I want to say this is the one I used..

Hopkins lighting P/N 46155.. Maybe you can find someone near you that has it or order online. I believe it was around $29 at Advance Auto.

http://www.hopkinstowingsolutions.co...n_signals.html
Great. Thanks... I'll look into that one.

Quick Reply: Trailer wiring connector?