Talking spouse into owning an XJ too

Search this Thread

Old 11-28-2016, 11:52 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1998
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0 L 6 Cylinder
Default Talking spouse into owning an XJ too

Hey everyone, new to the site... Thanx for having me.

Anyhow, I was wondering... Has anyone here tried to get their better half into driving a jeep too?

I've owned my xj for a couple of months now, always wanted one!! Finally got it. Cheyeayeah!! I'm trying to talk my wife into getting an xj too, same year, all that. I've been showing and telling her all the benefits, fairly easy to work on, can get to things, tons of online support, 4x4, and incase zombies n stuff.. lol

Don't get me wrong, her newer car is nice, and we will keep it... (She also knows how to work on cars, way more than most women) She's like: "I gotta take off all this crap just to get to the spark plugs" :/ I just want her to have something that's awesome, and she can work on!

I might have her sold, she does like driving it!!!!!
Old 11-28-2016, 04:06 PM
CF Veteran

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Year: 2001
Engine: 4.0 Litre I6

My wife would be hard pressed to even find her hood release lever. LOL

She is happy as pie gliding around in her little Mazda tuk-tuk. I'm kinda happy the wife doesn't like jeeps or off-roading. We are best friends and do everything together. It's nice to have something to myself (maybe something my son and I can do together when he gets older).

But if someone can talk their wife into it and want something to enjoy together. I say get at it!

I have a friend of a friend who went out and bought his wife an XJ to build into an off road toy. I guess he thought her liking his TJ and her mild interest in running around in it meant "hey I want one!". Well, he surprised her with it and was disappointed to find out she wasn't interested. He ended up selling the thing about a month or two later. Ha
Old 11-28-2016, 05:27 PM
CF Veteran

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
Year: 1999
Engine: 4.0

Have her look at the WJ's 99-04 Grand Cherokee's I have an XJ and my WJ. My problem is keeping my wife out of my WJ as it has even a few more options than her 2013 Town Car.

The best part you can find them cheaper a lot of the time than XJ's and a lot nicer.
Old 11-28-2016, 06:01 PM
Beach Bum

Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts
Year: 2000 WJ
Model: Grand Cherokee

My wife hated the XJ. It is cramped and noisy, difficult to get in and out.
But she really likes the WJ. It is quiet and drives nice. More comfortable and roomy. Just has a crap Chrysler transmission (42RE). The transmission in XJs is stout and strong, also used in some Toyotas (AW4).
Attached Thumbnails Talking spouse into owning an XJ too-dsc00705.jpg   Talking spouse into owning an XJ too-after.jpg  
Old 11-29-2016, 05:20 PM

Year: 1995

Happy wife = happy life
Let her drive whatever makes her wanna come home and give you a BJ
Old 11-29-2016, 07:19 PM
CF Veteran

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Year: 2001
Engine: 4.0 Litre I6

Originally Posted by AceWhite
Happy wife = happy life
You got it figured out!
Old 03-16-2017, 01:41 PM
No, I don't lick fish.

Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts
Model: Cherokee (XJ)

Originally Posted by Fallout
Hey everyone, new to the site... Thanx for having me.

Anyhow, I was wondering... Has anyone here tried to get their better half into driving a jeep too?

I've owned my xj for a couple of months now, always wanted one!! Finally got it. Cheyeayeah!! I'm trying to talk my wife into getting an xj too, same year, all that. I've been showing and telling her all the benefits, fairly easy to work on, can get to things, tons of online support, 4x4, and incase zombies n stuff.. lol

Don't get me wrong, her newer car is nice, and we will keep it... (She also knows how to work on cars, way more than most women) She's like: "I gotta take off all this crap just to get to the spark plugs" :/ I just want her to have something that's awesome, and she can work on!

I might have her sold, she does like driving it!!!!!
My wife actually used to drive mine for a little while. She liked it alright, but she really wants me to get her a lifted full-size chevy. One day I will.... just means I'll have something to tow around the XJ

I bought her a WJ a few years back and she loved it until we realized the heads needed to be rebuilt or replaced. Stupid non-ho 4.7 litre

Originally Posted by AceWhite
Happy wife = happy life
But I can't afford a lamborghini

Last edited by Basslicks; 03-16-2017 at 01:45 PM.
Old 03-16-2017, 03:16 PM
Seasoned Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 1992

My wife hates my jeep and says she would never own one. That's why she drives her car and I have my jeep
Old 03-16-2017, 03:38 PM
CF Veteran

Received 374 Likes on 294 Posts
Year: 1987

My other half was the reason I got my XJ. She wants to drive it but not daily. Got to teach her how to drive a manual first. She likes the idea of being able to go anywhere. Something her DD cant do. I am also trying to get her in to auto-x! One step at a time haha
Old 03-16-2017, 04:28 PM

Received 56 Likes on 45 Posts

Mine is still terrified of my XJ due to the part-time 4WD and won't drive it. She doesn't even like riding in it, says it's hard to get in and out of and cramped, and of course the ride is kind of bouncy. So I'd say the chances of her wanting an XJ of her own is somewhere between zero and none.
Old 03-16-2017, 06:18 PM
CF Veteran

Received 89 Likes on 78 Posts
Year: 1996
Engine: 4.0L

Fallout,

You are in love with your XJ right now. It sounds like she is enjoying seeing that happiness in you, and is sharing that with you. But be careful about confusing that with "I want one too". They are quite different things.

My wife is very wary of my XJ, but she admits that the happiness it has brought me makes her happy.
Old 03-16-2017, 06:28 PM

Jordan,

Yes, I sure see your point.. I was all like blah blah blah, they're awesome, blah blah, it's cool n stuff, blah blah... lol.

But- After a while, on her own, she's like: these are badass! I want one, she's got plans with exo caging it and everything, haha.

So that's cool..!
Old 03-16-2017, 07:20 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Year: 2000
Engine: 6 cylinder

Whatever you do, don't get rid of the wife's newer car.
Might need it as backup when the XJ's go belly up!
Old 03-17-2017, 10:11 AM
CF Veteran

Received 89 Likes on 78 Posts
Year: 1996
Engine: 4.0L

Fallout,

Well that's a different story. Start with "Hey, if you really want one let me know, and I'll keep an eye on craigslist for any good deals that pop up". That will be a gentle and non-committal way to gauge just how serious she is. It also means, that when one pops up and you go see it together, you will be equally invested, and you won't be blaming each other later when it has a few problems.

If it should get to that point, the biggest risk YOU face is having her fall in love with a good deal that is actually a poor choice, and then allowing yourself to accept a bad fixer-upper because you don't want to miss the opportunity to have her get one. But if she works on vehicles, at least you aren't starting from scratch here. She should understand the difference between "looks good" and "is good".
Old 03-17-2017, 12:30 PM

-Oh yeah, we are definitely keeping her car.. For sure. My wife and I talked about it a bunch since I first started this thread, we are being patient about it. After we have our garage built, she wants to find one where the body is in good shape, strip it down to nothing and building from the ground up. It will be fun for us both. Looking forward to it!