Sometimes I just want to....

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-2017, 09:09 AM

Received 55 Likes on 50 Posts
Year: 1996
Model: Cherokee
Engine: I6 Cyl / 4L
Default Sometimes I just want to....

Sometimes I just want to drive my Jeep into a lake and forget about it.

Disclaimer: I know I am being a whiny baby and this is a venting thread.

1) This past week, I realized the front driver's side axle seal is leaking (changed them 2 years ago).

2) Just yesterday, I realized the AC cycling on and off frequently when trying to defog the windows. Obviously it has a leak somewhere. I just rebuilt it all last July, except for the evaporator.

3) And it is time for new tires too.

4) Also for a final kick to the wallet, a pebble hit the windshield on the highway and left a nice chip in it. Yeah, I replaced it 3 years ago.

Wah!

Last edited by OldTires; 01-22-2017 at 12:00 PM.
Old 01-22-2017, 11:24 AM
CF Veteran

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
Year: 1999
Engine: 4.0

I feel Ya, "if it weren't for bad luck I would have none at all!"

Around here it seems like we can have years of that sort of thing one right after another, it was our house this year. New HVAC $9,200, propane water heater $575, new pump for the well mounted @ 560' along with pressure tank $3700, kitchen range $1475 now dish washer is giving wife trouble.

It happens that way they were all new when we built the house in 93. In Dec it was the WJ and Lincoln that were in the shop car needed new tires also lol.
Old 01-22-2017, 12:04 PM

Wow, that's a lot of money, Fred. I don't feel that bad anymore.
Old 01-23-2017, 02:50 AM
CF Veteran

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Year: '98
Engine: 4.0 I6

I just finished rebuilding my brakes, rear wheel bearings, rewired all of my electrical accessories, and did a deep clean of everything, changed spark plugs, cleaned rotor and cap, cleaned air filter, basically a general tune-up last weekend.

- Then the double cardan centering yoke started squealing like hell (temporary fix with lots of silicon spray),
- The power steering started leaking from somewhere (temporary fix to keep putting more fluid in)
- One of my HID ballasts went out so I have one headlight while I wait for a replacement

All in the last week.

A few weeks before that, my driver's side window broke the stupid plastic retaining clamp thing and won't go down on its own any more (goes up just fine luckily). Probably need to go to the JY for that one...
Tore my drivers seat more when something snagged on the original tear when hopping out of my rig. Pretty pissed about that but it was bound to get worse at some point. Might just fix it with duct tape, but its a WJ Tan leather seat and matches my interior so well...

Old 01-23-2017, 04:30 AM
CF Veteran

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
Year: 1990

I feel your pain. I bought my 90 XJ in April, first Jeep. Lifted it and threw 33s on it. Have been dumping money into it since I bought it. Pulling my hair out with all kinds of crazy issues.

Took it down to the Outer Banks and drove around Carova Saturday with my wife and daughter. Had a great time. The headaches paid off in my case, I hope yours pay off soon.
Old 01-23-2017, 10:06 AM
CF Veteran

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
Year: 1999

Originally Posted by OldTires
Wow, that's a lot of money, Fred. I don't feel that bad anymore.

Yes it was and we didn't have all of it either, like the wife says "I owe, I owe it's off to work I go"
Old 01-23-2017, 01:09 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1990
Engine: 4.0 i6

Yeah I feel your pain. My power windows and doors have all gone out, I can't seem to fix a water leak into the cab (I ended up drilling holes as a temporary fix so water would drain out) and I just got a chip in my windshield which I also had replaced a few years ago... You know what they say Just Empty Every Pocket.
Old 02-04-2017, 08:01 PM

Originally Posted by OldTires
Sometimes I just want to drive my Jeep into a lake and forget about it.

Disclaimer: I know I am being a whiny baby and this is a venting thread.

1) This past week, I realized the front driver's side axle seal is leaking (changed them 2 years ago).

2) Just yesterday, I realized the AC cycling on and off frequently when trying to defog the windows. Obviously it has a leak somewhere. I just rebuilt it all last July, except for the evaporator.

3) And it is time for new tires too.

4) Also for a final kick to the wallet, a pebble hit the windshield on the highway and left a nice chip in it. Yeah, I replaced it 3 years ago.

Wah!
Hey, just for giggles this cold Saturday morning, the 20 month old battery died....

1 hour later AAA jumped me, and by 9:30am I had installed a new replacement from AZ free of charge. Funny thing was as I was installing the new battery in the AZ parking lot another car pulls in with the same issue, except their battery lasted 22 months.
Old 02-04-2017, 08:41 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1998
Engine: 4.0L i6

You want to buy AGM batteries.
Old 02-05-2017, 05:39 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Year: 2000
Engine: 6 cylinder

Also for a final kick to the wallet, a pebble hit the windshield on the highway and left a nice chip in it. Yeah, I replaced it 3 years ago.
Stopped at a gas station to fill up last Summer.
Noticed a blob on the windshield, so got the station's squeegy to clean it. At first it looked like bird sh** so i scrubbed it. Didn't all come off so i scrubbed it harder.

Turned out it was muddy rocky debris flung form the farm tractor i was following. Scratched the hell out of the windshield. A $250 lesson learned the hard way.