Cherokee Chat General non-tech Cherokee chat
XJ/MJ/ZJ/WJ

Should I buy a 2016 Cherokee 4x4 Latitude 75th Edition

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-2016, 08:40 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Thumbs down Should I buy a 2016 Cherokee 4x4 Latitude 75th Edition

I am looking to trade in my 2015 Renegade for a bigger Jeep and was looking at the 2016 Cherokee but was wondering if you've had issues with yours, would you buy it now?

Please help I am test driving/ possibly trading my Renegade tomorrow.

Thank you.
Old 07-14-2016, 03:10 PM
CF Veteran

Received 39 Likes on 35 Posts
Year: 1999
Engine: 4.0

No. Sell the renegade and buy a XJ cherokee
Old 07-14-2016, 05:52 PM
CF Veteran

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Nathan Handy
I am looking to trade in my 2015 Renegade for a bigger Jeep and was looking at the 2016 Cherokee but was wondering if you've had issues with yours, would you buy it now?

Please help I am test driving/ possibly trading my Renegade tomorrow.

Thank you.
None of jeeps new products are worth buying. Only one I would consider is a JKU and that's only if I had money to blow.
Old 07-15-2016, 04:19 AM
CF Veteran

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Do a google search for jeep reliability and its a long list of problems with them since fiat bought chrysler out.Only thing with a jeep name i would buy is a wrangler anything else i would pass on.If you want a suv look at toyota honda and even mazda.
Old 07-15-2016, 12:59 PM
CF Veteran

Received 32 Likes on 27 Posts
Year: 1990
Model: Cherokee (XJ)

No
Old 07-15-2016, 02:51 PM
Seasoned Member

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts
Year: 2001
Model: Cherokee (XJ)
Engine: 4.0l

I would echo what everyone else has said.

To offer a different view, my father has a '16 Cherokee Latitude with the 6 cyl and he loves it. He doesn't enjoy wrenching on cars like us here on the forum; he's the type of guy who buys a car new from the dealership, let's them do all the maintence, and puts 70-100k on it before trading it in. So far he has been raving about it BUT he has only had it for like six weeks so take all of this with a grain of salt.
Old 07-15-2016, 03:01 PM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I'm going to +1 the nope. If you need a cute-ute, I'd have to say the Mazda CX3 or CX5 would be my picks. The only way Jeep will get any of my money is if they hit an absolute home-run with the next gen Wrangler and it doesn't have all the trans and wiring issues they've had with the Cherokee, 200 and other Fiat-based rushed to production stuff they've been putting out.
Old 07-15-2016, 05:50 PM
CF Veteran

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Year: '98
Engine: 4.0 I6

Agreed, Cherokee XJ or get something else

Jeep's lineup is pretty much luxury SUV's or econoboxes with endless electrical and mechanical defects

I wouldn't even buy a JK wrangler because of the nutless wonder they call the "pentastar motor"
Old 07-15-2016, 09:38 PM
CF Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Engine: 4.0L Inline 6

The 3.6L Pentastar is a pretty darn good motor. The 3.8L (not by Pentastar) is the one that had all the problems. 3.6L had some head issues early on in mid-2012, but Chrysler has pretty much fixed all that with free replacements that have an improved and modified design. No new motors seem to have the same problem. They tick a little, but that's apparently how they're supposed to operate.

I have been enjoying my JK Rubicon.

Miss my XJ, but there's so much more to cars today that sometimes I wonder why I didn't jump the gun sooner.

Last edited by thatXJguy; 07-15-2016 at 09:41 PM.
Old 07-16-2016, 09:05 AM
CF Veteran

Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts
Year: 1995
Model: Grand Cherokee
Engine: 4.0 with all of the noise and clatter

Originally Posted by investinwaffles
Agreed, Cherokee XJ or get something else Jeep's lineup is pretty much luxury SUV's or econoboxes with endless electrical and mechanical defects I wouldn't even buy a JK wrangler because of the nutless wonder they call the "pentastar motor"
Yeah, because 285 horsepower and 260 something in torque is pretty nutless.
Old 07-16-2016, 09:50 AM
CF Veteran

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Busted and it makes those numbers at what rpm and whats the power brand range.And also whats the weight of a jk?
Old 07-16-2016, 11:53 AM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by andrewmp6
Busted and it makes those numbers at what rpm and whats the power brand range.And also whats the weight of a jk?
JKs weigh about 4000-5000 pounds depending on stock or aftermarket equipment.

From Pentastar's website, 90% of the engine's torque is available starting at 1,800 RPM, and it fluctuates all the way through to 6,000 RPM. 1,800 isn't bad. 4.0L makes its max torque at around 3,200 RPM according to Google. It takes about 1,100-1,500 RPM in a 4.0L to make 90% of its torque, which isn't far behind the 1,800. Yes, it's a noticeable difference though.

It is a completely different engine than the 4.0L and has the ability to be either a roadster engine or an off-road engine. One thing I've been enjoying a lot more than the Cherokee I had is driveability. The 4.0L's tiny horsepower always left me in everyone's dust.

The 285-305 hp that comes with the Pentastar (depending on the vehicle) gets me up and going and you can continue to feel the push up to and above 70 miles per hour on the highway, which is something that the 4.0L never had. That was pretty much the top of my 4.0L's power band with 33s, and my JKr has 32.8s from the factory (they're metric).

I went on a trail ONCE with my JK. No it wasn't Moab and I'm hesitant to break anything right now because it's under loan. It creeped over everything. I gave it a little bit of gas here and there when something was in the way, but it never hesitated. For the record, my XJ on the very same trail would need some gas on some of the same obstacles as well. It never just idled over anything.

I have a Rubicon so I don't want to get into the offroad aspect of things. It basically has factory switches you can toggle to make it from point A to point B in one piece no matter the obstacle. I never had to use any of those switches yet (in fact, I really should have tested them before buying a used car) but we're talking about motor here.

Last edited by thatXJguy; 07-16-2016 at 04:11 PM.
Old 07-16-2016, 02:00 PM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by thatXJguy
JKs weigh about 4000-5000 pounds depending on stock or aftermarket equipment. From Pentastar's website, 90% of the engine's torque is available starting at 1,800 RPM, and it fluctuates all the way through to 6,000 RPM. 1,800 isn't bad. 4.0L makes its max torque at around 3,200 RPM according to Google. It takes about 1,100-1,500 RPM in a 4.0L to make 90% of its torque, which isn't far behind the 1,800. Yes, it's a noticeable difference though. It is a completely different engine than the 4.0L and has the ability to be either a roadster engine or an off-road engine. One thing I've been enjoying a lot more than the Cherokee I had is driveability. The 4.0L's tiny horsepower always left me in everyone's dust. The 305 hp that comes with the Pentastar gets me up and going and you can continue to feel the push up to and above 70 miles per hour on the highway, which is something that the 4.0L never had. That was pretty much the top of my 4.0L's power band with 33s, and my JKr has 32.8s from the factory (they're metric). I went on a trail ONCE with my JK. No it wasn't Moab and I'm hesitant to break anything right now because it's under loan. It creeped over everything. I gave it a little bit of gas here and there when something was in the way, but it never hesitated. For the record, my XJ on the very same trail would need some gas on some of the same obstacles as well. It never just idled over anything. I have a Rubicon so I don't want to get into the offroad aspect of things. It basically has factory switches you can toggle to make it from point A to point B in one piece no matter the obstacle. I never had to use any of those switches yet (in fact, I really should have tested them before buying a used car) but we're talking about motor here.
I just got my Rubicon a few days ago after my Sport was totaled. The Sport did really well off-road, even with crappy street tires. I can't wait to take the Rubicon off the pavement and test my ability with a six speed.
Old 07-16-2016, 04:12 PM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by Bustedback
I just got my Rubicon a few days ago after my Sport was totaled. The Sport did really well off-road, even with crappy street tires. I can't wait to take the Rubicon off the pavement and test my ability with a six speed.
You're gonna love it. Not only do you have D44 HD axles, but you should also have the 4:1 transfer case, the front and rear electric lockers, the electronic sway bar disconnect, and perhaps even 4:10 gears.

That's not even counting the descent control and other goodies modern tech has added...
Old 07-16-2016, 05:44 PM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by thatXJguy
You're gonna love it. Not only do you have D44 HD axles, but you should also have the 4:1 transfer case, the front and rear electric lockers, the electronic sway bar disconnect, and perhaps even 4:10 gears. That's not even counting the descent control and other goodies modern tech has added...
I have most of the above, but I don't think I have descent control or hill assist. No switches for those two things on my dash.

Quick Reply: Should I buy a 2016 Cherokee 4x4 Latitude 75th Edition