Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

To Sell or Not to Sell

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-2014, 08:34 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default To Sell or Not to Sell

So this is my first post here on the forums, though I have been reading all the threads for months. Sadly it is asking for advice on selling my 1999 XJ. I bought my XJ in Feb 2013 with 100k miles for $3900. Since then, I have taken it to the shop to replace the radiator, tires, shocks, brakes, wiper fluid system, and had the tailpipe re-welded to the frame (I'm not as mechanically inclined as many of you and lacked the time/ space to take on fixes on my own). I have also plastidipped the faded trim and badly chipped rims, and plastidipped the headlight housing and replaced the front grill with a black one for aesthetics. This has been my daily driver since purchase, and now has 126k miles.. Although I love my jeep and would hate to get rid of it so soon, it has been one fix after another, and I just don't think I have it in me to keep putting it in the shop.

I have had an interested buyer stop me twice asking to take it off my hands, once for months ago and again recently, which brings me to the point of this thread: what is a fair price for my XJ in it's current state.

With my owner's bias, I think it is worth $4500

KBB with my add ons (Multi disc cd, power locks/windows, roof racks, tinted windows) good condition is $3900, excellent $4200...

http://www.kbb.com/jeep/cherokee/199...condition=good

NADA is $4350 clean retail

http://www.nadaguides.com/Cars/1999/...ort-4WD/Values

I don't want to feel pressured by this guy to make a sale, so I'd like to know what you all think it is worth, both in terms of if you were to see it on the street and make an offer, and as the owner what you would think you should get out of it to move on with no regrets.

Will post some pics. Thank you for taking the time to read through this and I appreciate any feedback.
Old 09-20-2014, 08:43 PM

Here she is the day I took her home.. The rims started chipping the first few months, and were pretty rough by the spring

Rims several months later..

Wheels post dip

Rear bumper was dented from previous owner, decided to plastidip making it slightly less noticeable
Old 09-20-2014, 08:46 PM

Side view and rims dipped

Rear view, bumper dented from previous owner so i dipped it to make it less noticeable. Also dipped remaining trim as seen from last pic to here

Front view with black grille
Old 09-20-2014, 09:47 PM
CF Veteran

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Year: 1994 1993
Engine: 4.0

Originally Posted by BlueSteel
Will post some pics. Thank you for taking the time to read through this and I appreciate any feedback.
It looks very nice and is probably worth near what you are asking but it's a shame you have to sell it as you could easily get 10 more years out of it. I would consider trying to make some forum friends near where you live and I think you could always find someone to help out with the basic repairs and as you go you could learn to do a lot of those things on your own and not have to rely on a shop all the time.
Old 09-21-2014, 07:31 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 2001

Not trying to be a dick but IMO any of the painting/coating doesn't really mean much. Any rust? How are the tires? Any other options you haven't listed? What's the condition of the interior?

Knowing where you are located might make a difference too. Even so, in my area you see these things in similar condition all over the map in terms of price. How bad someone needs to sell probably factors more into the price than anything else. Most of the repairs you have listed in my mind come under the heading of PM for a vehicle 25 years old. Whether you keep it or not should be based on what you want/need your driver to be. Again...JMO.

If you do decide to sell, the only way to really judge it's value is to price it at a price that you'd be willing to let it go for and see if there is any interest. Nothing forcing you to accept any counter offers. Good luck.
Old 09-21-2014, 09:15 AM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Year: 1996
Engine: 4litre

Originally Posted by Copperhead
Most of the repairs you have listed in my mind come under the heading of PM for a vehicle 25 years old.
Yes but his vehicle is 15 years old not 25.

Your not going to get the full value of your investment in repairs. It's just simply not how it works. No matter what anyone says on this forum your XJ is only worth what you can convince someone to pay for it.

You have a few things going for ya, she's clean and the milage isn't horribly high. The rear bumper looks dented, it can't be considered "excellent" by KBB standards with a dented bumper. Other than that she's georgeous.

Put it on craigslist for 5,000$, write up a nice ad with lots of pictures, maybe you'll get lucky.
Old 09-21-2014, 09:24 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 2001

Originally Posted by Gary Briggs
Yes but his vehicle is 15 years old not 25.
lol...Math was never my strong suit..

Still even at 15...most of the repairs/replacements should be expected.
Old 09-21-2014, 11:09 AM
CF Veteran

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Year: 1989

Originally Posted by Copperhead

lol...Math was never my strong suit..

Still even at 15...most of the repairs/replacements should be expected.
This. Normal age and mileage repairs can't be factored as a higher selling point. Plus you go by the average rule of you get 10% back of what you put into a vehicle. In the nw that's a $2500 jeep. I don't know where you're at but I would say if you can get more than 4k you are a lucky person
Old 09-21-2014, 12:26 PM

Thanks for the feedback..

The interior of the jeep is flawless, the only wear is the crack in driver's seat cushion, which appears to be pretty standard in many XJ's. There is no rust, and the tires are about a month/ 1000 miles old.

I've looked at what others are priced at both on ebay and locally on craigslist - and it's all over the place. So to those that say it's worth as much as you want to hold out for and how quickly you need to get rid of it have given great advice...

I realize I will not get back my investment, and for that reason I am really not in a rush to sell - I'm finally at a point where I am comfortable with his being my dd.
Old 09-21-2014, 01:37 PM
CF Veteran

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
Year: 1999

Just be prepared when selling that you paid to much when you bough it, the books your looking at "DON"T" show the real prices of what you should expect to get on a sale.

The real numbers are what the bank loan value is and there are ZERO add-on's on anything this old period the only one is for mileage the other applies to trucks/SUV's and a few cars ant that is diesel or gas.

Don't want to rain on your parade but our XJ's and resale value mostly is determined by what has been done to them or an exceptional stock one. I bought my 99 for $1800 and have put several dollars into it more than I would ever expect to get out of it, but its a "Toy" and I knew that