Rusty floorboards

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-2016, 05:32 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1999
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0
Unhappy Rusty floorboards

So my floorboards are rusting hardcore and pretty soon I'm gonna see the road/trail I'm driving on below my feet...my dad thinks I should sell the jeep before it gets to that worse degree but I love my jeep and maybe I can find a good welder and patch the bad spots but if there's no good metal to weld to then doing the entire under body would be the only other option :/
Old 07-16-2016, 05:36 PM
CF Veteran

Received 94 Likes on 85 Posts
Year: 1990, 1999, 2000

yep. me too. just gotta find the time and energy, have the welder and all the tools. i'm a bit of a procrastinator.
Old 07-16-2016, 05:52 PM

Originally Posted by caged
yep. me too. just gotta find the time and energy, have the welder and all the tools. i'm a bit of a procrastinator.
Wanna weld my jeep ;D?
Old 07-16-2016, 07:20 PM

Engine: I6

Have you considered buying new floorboards? My 95 has rotted holes from the rear cargo area to my front floorboards. I'm removing everything and replacing them with new floorboards.
Old 07-16-2016, 07:31 PM

Originally Posted by Kuya
Have you considered buying new floorboards? My 95 has rotted holes from the rear cargo area to my front floorboards. I'm removing everything and replacing them with new floorboards.
That's another option. My only concern is that it's my daily driver and I can't really go without it for more than a couple days and I for sure won't be able to do it myself
Old 07-16-2016, 08:39 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 1997
Engine: 4.6 I6

Originally Posted by Sampuppy2
That's another option. My only concern is that it's my daily driver and I can't really go without it for more than a couple days and I for sure won't be able to do it myself
There are plenty of people who seam seal and pop rivet fresh floor pans in. Also once you get them secured you could always drive it to someone who can weld them in nicely.
Old 07-16-2016, 09:58 PM
CF Veteran

Received 94 Likes on 85 Posts
Year: 1990, 1999, 2000

Wanna weld my jeep ;D?

i would do it in a heartbeat. i seem to do others before doing my own all the time. lol.
too bad you live so far away from me. not really worth the drive.

you should look for a cheap 110v wire feed welder on craigslist or ebay in your area and tackle this yourself. you won't believe just how easy it can be once you get into it. it can also be a lot of fun once you get the hang of it.
Old 07-16-2016, 10:05 PM
CF Veteran

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Call a few body shops ask what they will charge to weld in new floor pans.And you buy the floor pans yourself so they don't mark up the price on you.
Old 07-16-2016, 10:13 PM
CF Veteran

Engine: 4.0L Inline 6

Originally Posted by andrewmp6
And you buy the floor pans yourself so they don't mark up the price on you.
Sometimes a good idea, and sometimes not. Make sure to go to someone reputable, or they may end up saying they don't fit and charge you for labor anyways for the time they spent "trying."
Old 07-16-2016, 10:23 PM

Engine: I6

You could also use self tapping screws, if you don't weld. Also, you could do this over several weekends. "Winter is coming", and it is easier to do now before the ground is cold, wet, and salty. Offer beer, pizza, and music to people that know how to use a drill and angle grinder.
Old 07-16-2016, 11:33 PM
CF Veteran

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Screwing or pop riveting is ghetto and will come back loose over time with the body flexing over time.Welding in is the best option the next step down would be panel adhesives then seam sealer over the joints.
Old 07-17-2016, 02:30 AM

Year: 1997
Engine: 4.6 I6

Originally Posted by andrewmp6
Screwing or pop riveting is ghetto and will come back loose over time with the body flexing over time.Welding in is the best option the next step down would be panel adhesives then seam sealer over the joints.
Which is why I suggested it as a temporary option. OP already stated that they cannot weld.
Old 07-17-2016, 07:40 AM
CF Veteran

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts
Year: 1989 Laredo
Engine: 4.0 L 6 Renix
Default It will take time

Took three weeks workin every evening and days on week ends.
Included the 2x6x3/16 tube replacements of the rockers, boxing all the "frame" rails, and some significant spring perch and restructuring. I used 16ga strips and overlapped two to three layers, welding top and underside seams.
If you don't know how to weld, you will by time you are done. Always have a water squirt bottle and extinguisher ready and remove as much interior as possilble. Full pics in my album.
You will need some good preparation, Utube and materials gathering.
Extent of your rust removal will determine overall time of your project.
You will need to arrange other transportation.
Helpers are always welcome.
Don't get frustrated.
You know how to eat an elephant. One bite at a time.
Attached Thumbnails Rusty floorboards-img_1230.jpg   Rusty floorboards-img_1758.jpg   Rusty floorboards-img_1760.jpg   Rusty floorboards-img_1787.jpg   Rusty floorboards-img_1843.jpg  

Old 07-17-2016, 08:57 PM

Originally Posted by caged
i would do it in a heartbeat. i seem to do others before doing my own all the time. lol.
too bad you live so far away from me. not really worth the drive.

you should look for a cheap 110v wire feed welder on craigslist or ebay in your area and tackle this yourself. you won't believe just how easy it can be once you get into it. it can also be a lot of fun once you get the hang of it.
I've always thought welding would be a sweet thing to do. And I learned welding a tiny bit in a shop/CNC class I took back in highschool
Old 07-17-2016, 09:02 PM

Originally Posted by peep
Took three weeks workin every evening and days on week ends.
Included the 2x6x3/16 tube replacements of the rockers, boxing all the "frame" rails, and some significant spring perch and restructuring. I used 16ga strips and overlapped two to three layers, welding top and underside seams.
If you don't know how to weld, you will by time you are done. Always have a water squirt bottle and extinguisher ready and remove as much interior as possilble. Full pics in my album.
You will need some good preparation, Utube and materials gathering.
Extent of your rust removal will determine overall time of your project.
You will need to arrange other transportation.
Helpers are always welcome.
Don't get frustrated.
You know how to eat an elephant. One bite at a time.
That actually looks like something I could do. It would be a huge learning experience. Definitely gonna check that album out!

Quick Reply: Rusty floorboards