Search this Thread

Old 03-17-2012, 12:44 PM
CF Veteran

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Year: 1989
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0
Default Our First Outing

After the experience I'd had for the first few months of Jeep ownership, I was reluctant to venture far from home. I got her in November (this is my first Jeep) and quickly learned that despite providing 23 years of reliable transportation for the PO, I was gonna have a challenge ahead of me. First, the CPS died so I had to learn from the great folks here on CF what a CPS was and how to replace it. Then I got the Death Wobbles, followed by a fuel leak in two of my injectors, then my blinkers died, my seatbelt broke, my e-brake cable snapped, my reverse lights stopped working as did my windshield wipers and my harmonica balancer barfed its rubber guts all over the place. I think it was a couple months ago that I realized everything was working and since then, she's been nothing but reliable.

So, I decided it was time for a road trip. I collected my gear and my friend and headed for the desert. We arrived in Joshua Tree just after midnight and were so looking forward to sleep. She hadn't camped since childhood so I came prepared for her comfort. I wasn't prepared for the campground being full! Completely full. "No biggie", I thought and might have even said out loud, I'll just go to one of the other seven campgrounds in the park. Certainly one of them must have a vacancy. In theory, that seems logical... in reality, not so much. Every campground was filled to capacity, so much for being prepared. It was nearing 3am and we were both exhausted. I drove to a dirt road I had seen off the main highway and, under a nearly full Moon, headed into the unknown. All I wanted was a spot off the road big enough to fit Jeep and I eventually found one. I pulled everything out of the back and piled it on the ground to make room for my traveling companion to lay down. I slept sitting up, in the driver's seat which is to say that I didn't sleep at all. I just sat there, watching the stars pass in front of my windshield and the shadows from the Joshua Trees rotate as the Moon arched it's way across the sky, listening to the wistful, content breath of my companion asleep behind me.

Around 5:30 I could see the eastern horizon begin to glow with the telltale signs of a rising sun. I must have dozed off for a few minutes because when I opened my eyes again, the deep purple and pinks of the pre-dawn hours had given way to blue skies and long shadows.

Name:  IMG_6199.jpg
Views: 141
Size:  68.0 KB

I wandered around for a while, checking out the desert flora and fauna and brilliant morning light but in the back of my head, wondered if Jeep would start when called upon.

Name:  IMG_6203.jpg
Views: 136
Size:  72.9 KB

Name:  16.jpg
Views: 155
Size:  59.1 KB

It wasn't long before my traveling partner began to stir. She hadn't slept much better than I, restless at best. We went for a short walk, then, while I packed stuff back in Jeep, she got ready for the day the same way most girls do...

Name:  15.jpg
Views: 146
Size:  39.5 KB

Despite having forgotten to turn off my inverter, Jeep started on the first try and by 8 am we were back at the campground and were immediately offered the space of a couple who were just about to depart. It wasn't the best spot but it was much better than another night of sleeping in the driver's seat. After setting up camp and making much needed coffee, we headed out to explore. We looked at bugs on the side of the road, crazy cactus gardens, odd geological formations unique to the area and ultimately ended up on a hike to the Lost Palm Oasis. A fairly grueling 7 mile trek to what we thought would be a lush oasis. Turned out to be a few palm trees on the side of a cliff that were totally and completely inaccessible to anyone without technical climbing gear. We were unimpressed. By the time we got back to Jeep both of us were spent.

Name:  85.jpg
Views: 131
Size:  31.4 KB

We decided to share a beer before retracing the 30 miles back to camp. She drank most of it, I just had a few sips. On the way back, we passed a federal Park Ranger who quickly flipped a U and came after me. Dammit. My passenger frantically searched for a place to hide the open container that we hadn't wanted to leave laying in the desert but it seemed every time she found a spot the stupid bottle would roll back out into plain view. I eventually managed to get it tucked behind my seat and out of view before being approached by the ranger. I had been going 65 in a 45 (which I admitted was a possibility) but after a lengthy background check, he let me go with a warning.

I made chicken stir-fry for dinner and we sat around the campfire drinking rum and telling stories before retiring to our palatial tent and comfy air mattress. Sleep came quickly.

Name:  90.jpg
Views: 144
Size:  53.0 KB

We awoke to this, the aftermath of our drunken debauchery. Not too bad, really. We spent the morning in the tent, sharing coffee and a two-day-old newspaper from a world completely foreign to the one in which we now found ourselves. Political unrest, economic crisis, school shootings and presidential campaigns all seemed like things that were happening so far away. We decided to explore a little before returning to the hustle and bustle of civilization so we pulled out our map and planned an adventure.

Name:  95.jpg
Views: 142
Size:  75.6 KB

We settled on The Geology Tour road, a rutted dirt, rock, and sand track that leads the traveler along a winding loop that traverses two vastly different ecosystems and, well, a lot of geology. The trail starts out pleasant enough, a typical washboarded dirt road but as we got further out the road conditions began to deteriorate. Jeep never even noticed, she just clawed her way along like she thought we were on the interstate.

Name:  100.jpg
Views: 144
Size:  31.8 KB

I swear Jeep is smiling... Saggy leafs and all.

Name:  105.jpg
Views: 161
Size:  20.9 KB

Along the way we stopped to look at desert plants and animals, and to climb on all the boulders that were just begging to be climbed. The temperature was in the low 70s which, in the desert, feels much warmer and there wasn't a cloud in the sky. Some of the early wildflowers were beginning to appear. It's been a very dry winter for us here in SoCal so we're not immune to the early spring being experienced by much of the country.

Name:  120.jpg
Views: 140
Size:  57.9 KB

I couldn't resist climbing up this huge rock that my traveling companion had dubbed "Crab Rock" on account of it looking a lot like a crab with it's claws stretched out ahead of it. She got caught up in the excitement and decided to go a little crazy, too...

Name:  115.jpg
Views: 167
Size:  59.4 KB

All the while, Jeep sat patiently, waiting for it's minders and menders to return from their antics.

Name:  135.jpg
Views: 162
Size:  71.1 KB

Name:  140.jpg
Views: 137
Size:  54.3 KB

Unfortunately, reality beckoned and it was time for our adventure to end so we headed back to camp, packed everything up, and began our journey back to the busy metropolis we call home. Jeep was perfect, she carried us and all of our gear without complaint or hesitation. She even offered up an overall 19.06 MPG which I found quite impressive given all the hilly terrain, idling, headwinds, and speeding I was doing. She inspired confidence in me to get out more and trust that she'd get me home... the three of us are looking forward to our next journey.

Last edited by F1Addict; 03-19-2012 at 04:15 AM. Reason: Stupid spelling errors!
Old 03-17-2012, 01:12 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1999

thanks for sharing! I used to live there, it's just as awesome as I remember!
Old 03-17-2012, 01:36 PM
I WIN!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1997
Model: Grand Cherokee
Engine: BIG! HUGE!

Looks like ya'll had a great adventure there in lovely JT! Cant wait for spring to take my lil one and his buddy there for the weekend. Time for a change of mtn scenery, we are in Idyllwild, and ready for some desert love!
Old 03-17-2012, 04:02 PM
Seasoned Member

Year: 1996
Engine: 4.0 H.O.

Awesome man I'm up in LA and wanted to make a trip over to Joshua Tree soon for a little camping and off roading. Thanks for posting pictures looks amazing!
Old 03-17-2012, 06:17 PM
CF Veteran

Thanks all, it was an awesome trip. Would have been better if the campgrounds weren't all full so for anyone planning, I'd recommend either making reservations (available at Indian Cove, Sheep Pass, and Cottonwood Springs) or preparing to overnight somewhere off the beaten path and thus, face the possibility of dealing with the Park Rangers who frown on that sort of thing.
Old 03-17-2012, 09:46 PM

Year: 2002
Model: Grand Cherokee
Engine: 4.0L

Cool story, and great pics!
Old 03-18-2012, 01:50 AM

Year: 2000
Engine: 4.0L 6 Cylinder

Awesome story! the pics were great and sounds like an awesome time. Hopefully you make another trip so i can read another one of these stories haha. Cool stuff...
Old 03-18-2012, 05:58 PM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by cubfan
Awesome story! the pics were great and sounds like an awesome time. Hopefully you make another trip so i can read another one of these stories haha. Cool stuff...
I'll definitely be posting more as the adventures accumulate but I'm gonna recommend you get out and make your own story! Because re-reading the crap I write over and over gets boring after a while
Old 03-18-2012, 09:56 PM

Year: 2000
Engine: 4.0L 6 Cylinder

Now THATS an idea!
Old 03-19-2012, 12:39 AM
CF Veteran

Received 247 Likes on 206 Posts
Year: 1988
Engine: I6 4.0

That's awesome I still need to take mine on an awesome adventure thinking to Rausch Creek, NJ this summer after I get her lift. I would love to take her off in the desert like that
Old 03-19-2012, 01:07 AM
Seasoned Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1999
Engine: 4.0L 6-Cylinder

Awesome write-up. I am building my Jeep to the likes of the similar adventure you recently experienced. If you got time, check out this website/forum that is primarily gaged towards the expedition community(http://www.expeditionportal.com/forum/index.php). Keep it up man!
Old 03-18-2013, 07:08 PM

That must have been a FANTASTIC trip. How much weight do you think you had on the roof ?? Did it get tipsy at all ?
I am heading out to Peoria/Phoenix this Sunday for Spring Training with my son and this will be the first "road trip" with this XJ.
PS: many years ago I made a camping platform (PVC stilts) tha would fit from the back of the front seats to lift gate. I kept it , just in case I bought another XJ.
Going to try it out soon -- I think the interior dimensions are the same as a '91/92?
Randy
Old 03-18-2013, 09:21 PM
CF Veteran

Year: 1990

Dude that is so awesome I'm in sd ad I need to go as do this stuff!!!
Old 09-14-2013, 03:21 AM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by RainShadow
That must have been a FANTASTIC trip. How much weight do you think you had on the roof ?? Did it get tipsy at all ?
I am heading out to Peoria/Phoenix this Sunday for Spring Training with my son and this will be the first "road trip" with this XJ.
PS: many years ago I made a camping platform (PVC stilts) tha would fit from the back of the front seats to lift gate. I kept it , just in case I bought another XJ.
Going to try it out soon -- I think the interior dimensions are the same as a '91/92?
Randy
Sorry to dig up an old post but I've been MIA for a while and realize there are some unanswered questions...

I try to minimize the weight on the roof because it does make it tippy. In this case I had sleeping bags and blankets, pillows, aluminum folding tables and foldy chairs, and the tent. I would estimate total weight at ~150 pounds, including the box and Yakima rails.

It was a pretty amazing trip. I've made several more since this but the first is always special.
Old 09-15-2013, 07:55 PM

Default Joshua Tree Trip

No problem --- email me at randypadre3@hotmail.com
I want to pick your brain for the best tent camping sites, hikes and 4X4 trails
near Joshua Tree.
Gong to head up there after it cools down -- My AC in the XJ is acting weird.

tx, Randy

Quick Reply: Our First Outing