Cherokee Chat General non-tech Cherokee chat
XJ/MJ/ZJ/WJ

Need suspension and engine advice!

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-2015, 12:34 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default Need suspension and engine advice!

I have a 2001 Cherokee Sport that i have been driving daily for just over ten years. All of the suspension is still original and at this point is barely clinging to life. My time and monetary resources are limited because I work and go to school full time. I have done simple repairs myself and have always kept up on basic maintenance, I just am not sure how to go about an overhaul or where to even start for that matter. Also, I have a serious corrosion issue with the coolant system that has been present for years. I have to flush my coolant system every few months because the antifreeze literally solidifies into a scary, red, fluffy, mud like substance. Please be gentle....I know should be ashamed for allowing my Jeep to reach such a saddened condition.
Old 08-26-2015, 02:53 PM
CF Veteran

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Year: 1998
Engine: 4.0

Sell it/trade it and get something else. Maybe a Camry, Accord or Civic.
Old 08-26-2015, 09:36 PM
CF Veteran

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Air in the cooling system leads to heavy corrosion. As thorough flush and pressure test should be performed.

4WD4EVER,
How does that help the OP with his XJ? If it's an attempt at humor....don't quit your day-job.
Old 08-26-2015, 11:41 PM
CF Veteran

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Stuff like ball joints and the unit bearings you need special tools to replace,If a shop does it you won't like the bill on that.What brand coolant do you use and is it the 50/50 ratio coolant to water?
Old 08-26-2015, 11:51 PM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by SeriousOffroad
If it's an attempt at humor.
Nope, seems like the most logical answer to me based on OP's description of circumstances.
Old 08-27-2015, 04:35 AM
CF Veteran

4wd4ever is kinda right tho,If the guy can't do the work himself having a shop do it would be close to the price of buying another car.
Old 08-27-2015, 07:09 AM
Beach Bum

Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts
Year: 2000 WJ
Model: Grand Cherokee

Originally Posted by jackieC
I have to flush my coolant system every few months because the antifreeze literally solidifies into a scary, red, fluffy, mud like substance. Please be gentle....I know should be ashamed for allowing my Jeep to reach such a saddened condition.
Solidifying coolant is what happens when the orange Dex-cool meets the traditional green anti-freeze. If the orange coolant was Not used at all, than the red coolant could be attributed to rust from inside the cooling system, OR the transmission cooler is leaking inside the radiator, OR the head/head gasket is cracked.
Old 08-27-2015, 07:33 AM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by andrewmp6
4wd4ever is kinda right tho,If the guy can't do the work himself having a shop do it would be close to the price of buying another car.
Yes, thank you, andrew. And the suspension is shot. And it has a severe rust issue. And the OP has neglected what else? And the OP has no money. Getting a different vehicle sounds like exactly what the OP needs to consider.

OP, I hope I'm not coming off as harsh. Just a little "Texas straight talk".
Old 09-01-2015, 09:26 PM

I believe the coolant issue is simply due to rust, head gasket is good. I use the regular green 50/50. Thank you for the heads up on the ball joints. Also, 4WD4EVER, you're not harsh. I'm just a chick that's working full time, trying to put myself through college and keep a roof over my head. I do the best I can with what I have.
Old 09-02-2015, 12:39 AM
CF Veteran

Keep up with the oil changes and coolant system and make sure your tires ain't bald.The rest you can put off a little while so try to save up every penny you can.What kinda work do you do ?
Old 09-02-2015, 12:47 AM
Banned

Year: 1992

Its a 2001. Make sure your head isn't cracked
Old 09-05-2015, 03:18 PM

I work as a waitress now because I can work at night and have mornings for school. I don't recommend that line of work to anyone because people can be quite evil but the upside is you can make decent money in a short amount of time. I have always kept up with oil changes and taught myself how to do brakes and other basics. I had a back drum cylinder go out a few months ago and figured out how to fix that myself. It took me three hours and a lot of swear words to get the all those parts of the drum back together but I learned two valuable things. 1: drum breaks were designed by the devil 2: never take them apart unless you have to. Luckily I haven't had an issue with it since. I have about two thousand saved I just want to try and figure out what I can fix myself and try not to get ripped off when I pay someone else to do the rest. I know there are a lot of great mechanics out there but there are also a lot that see a girl with a old car and see nothing but dollar signs. There is no oil in the coolant and no water in the oil,so how can i rule out a coolant leak in the transmission? The transmission fluid is a clear, dark red with no signs of coolant.
Old 09-05-2015, 04:03 PM
Banned

Year: 1992

Muddy coolant is a sign of severe overheating. Has your jeep overheated real bad in the last few years?
Old 09-05-2015, 08:13 PM

Yes it has, the water pump went but when it did the corrosion was already present. I replaced the thermostat, radiator, water pump and hoses. It didn't help, the coolant was almost solid about 6 months later.
Old 09-07-2015, 12:07 PM
CF Veteran

Year: 1999

It sounds like it needs a really good cleaning/flush of the cooling system including the heater core may require several to get it cleaned out. Then you "May" need to replace the radiator you can get a new one at AutoZone for <$100 with a lifetime warranty (My son and I both have them).

I know you said money was tight but when you replace the radiator install new hoses also upper and lower, plus a new thermostat. You said you had already replaced the water pump so good to go there.
The following users liked this post:
A. Tatando (10-04-2020)

Quick Reply: Need suspension and engine advice!