Cherokee Chat General non-tech Cherokee chat
XJ/MJ/ZJ/WJ
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Might have to seel my XJ-What do you think it's worth?

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-2016, 11:01 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Year: 1998
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0
Default Might have to sell my XJ-What do you think it's worth?

It looks like my employer is going to give me a monthly vehicle allowance to get a newer vehicle. I asked for advice in another thread about that whole issue, but anyway...

I found a low-mileage 2011 GC Limited with leather, NAV, 9-speaker sound system, and most importantly, the Quadra-Trac II system with a true 2-speed transfer case. I think I'm going to make a move on that.

I'm not real hip on getting rid of the XJ, and my wife really doesn't want me to part with it, but my suburban home doesn't allow a good place to store it, I don't want to pay insurance on three cars, and I don't want it to sit unused for long periods of time. That will ruin a car faster than you can imagine.

Should I decide to sell, I thought I'd get some feedback on what you guys think I should sell the XJ for. I know used car values vary greatly from region to region, but Jeeps are pretty popular in Texas, and this is a very clean rust-free XJ. I found a clean silver 2001 wit a 4.5" lift and JK wheels and tires, but otherwise stock at 137,000 miles being listed for $10,000 at a dealer nearby. This guy sells a lot of Jeeps, so he knows what people are willing to pay.

Anyway, here's the potential Craigslist/Autotrader ad I typed up. Let me know what you think.

1998 Jeep Cherokee Sport – White Exterior / Mist Gray Interior
This has been my daily driver since November of 2010. I have a 30 mile round trip to work every day that is almost all highway. The body is in good shape for its age. It’s not perfect and has a few flaws, but cleans up very nice. It has 228,000 miles on it, but as you’ll see in the list below, the engine is low miles and most of the items that might fail on you have already been replaced. I get about 19-21 on the highway, with an average of 14.6 mixed city/highway and I’m not trying to baby it.
I really don’t want to part with this, but my company will be providing me with a vehicle. I don’t really have room to store a third car, and I don’t want it to just sit and go unused. With all the work that has been done someone should be enjoying this Cherokee on a regular basis. I’ve owned a lot of different vehicles, and this has definitely been my favorite so far. It’s the perfect combination of size and real 4-wheel drive utility, and has a classic timeless look. I have done all the work to the Jeep myself, and keep up with all the maintenance. It passes an emissions test with flying colors and starts right up and idles smooth every time.
“The List”
· ATK remanufactured engine (long block – block and head) with 43K miles
· Security with Remote Start and 3 transmitters
· Cruise control
· Power windows, lock, and mirrors
· 4 speed auto
· 6 month old 235/75-15 Toyo Open Country AT II tires with 90% tread
· Jeep factory “Ravine” wheels from 2006 Wrangler
· 1.25 Inch Rough Country wheel spacers
· 2 inch Old Man Emu lift (full rear springs, Daystar front spacers)
· New Bilstien 5100 series shocks
· Karnage Off-road upper rear shock mounts installed to address factory bolt issues
· New braided stainless front brake lines
· New Raybestos front brake calipers – installed 1-16
· Power Stop drilled and slotted front rotors installed about a year ago
· New front wheel/hub assemblies installed 10-15
· Spartan differential locker in rear
· 8.25 Chrysler rear axle (regarded to be as strong as a Dana 44)
· One year old Diehard Ultimate gel cell battery with 7 year warranty
· New AC compressor and dryer (cold AC and hot heat)
· New water pump
· New alternator
· Walker Quiet flow muffler and new tailpipe installed 1-16
· Catalytic converter replaced at engine installation
· Entire cooling system replaced at engine installation (water pump, fan clutch, radiator)
· New starter 9-15
· Spark plugs and wires replaced 1 year ago
· Castrol full synthetic used since engine had 3500 miles.
· Mopar oil filters and Wix air filters always used
· Royal Purple oil run in axles
· Or-Fab HD hidden winch front bumper with bull bar
· New Mopar throttle position sensor – installed 10-15
· Crankshaft position sensor and camshaft positions sensors replaced with Mopar parts at engine install.
· New full-size spare tire
· New headliner
· Husky Liners front seats, back seats, and rear cargo area
· Surco roof rack with optional full floor kit
· (4) Quickfist clamps on roof rack for shovel and axe
· (5) LED light pods on roof rack (700 lumens each) No holes drilled in roof.
· Roof rack light wiring harness and all lights have Weatherpak connectors so rack can quickly and easily be removed if need be.
· (3) Custom laser-switches to control off-road lights
· 15 inch LED light bar on front bumper
· Custom-made 35watt bi-xenon projector headlights with Morimoto projectors with active shutters, glass-faced housings, and 4300K bulbs
· Blaupunkt Toronto 420 stereo with Bluetooth, USB, and SD card reader
· Blaupunkt 300 watt amplifier mounted under front passenger seat
· Polk db651 coaxial speakers in front doors
· Polk db521 speakers in rear sound bar
· Pioneer 8” subwoofer in custom enclosure that fits flush with rear cargo side bubby space
· Upgraded gauge cluster from 2001 Wrangler (brighter, easier to read, and more modern looking)
· Fat Mat installed above headliner top reduce road/wind noise
· White exterior. Mist Gray interior
· Factory full console with trip/fuel/outside air temp computer and extra map lights. All functions work.
· Transmission shift solenoids replaced 11-15
· Transmission filter, pan gasket, and fluid changed 11-15
· Fender flares repainted satin black (not chalky looking)
· Class III receiver hitch with 2”ball

The buyer of the vehicle will also receive
· 5-90 main battery/ground cable upgrade kit with main power distuction fuse upgrade – new in box
· Alloy USA ball joint kit (the ones on the Jeep are in good shape, I had these as spares) – new in box
· (3) Spicer rear driveshaft U-joints – new in box
· (2) Spicer front axle U-joints – new in box
· Moog Front swaybar bushings – new in box
· Brand new heater core
· Brand new AC evaporator core
· Full set of factory orange turn indictor lenses – new in box
· Iron Rock Off Road standard or .75 inch lift shackle with poly bushings – new in box
· Extra full matching center console
· Extra front grill
· Extra headlight trims
· Various extra interior trim pieces I’ve collected
· Spare set of custom bi-xenon headlights as described above.
· Brand new JCR classic sliders - powder-coated black

Last edited by macgyver35; 02-10-2016 at 12:51 AM.
Old 02-10-2016, 10:43 AM
CF Veteran

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
Year: 1999

Well try KKB for sale by owner then list total mileage and 4wd, auto, ac that's about all as far as adds go there and see what it tells you. That will give you a base price in your area which you will need to start with.

Then you can add the upgrades for a discounted price of 25-50% of cost in most cases but that life in the car world. Then you have what someone is willing to pay on a certain day.
Old 02-10-2016, 11:46 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Year: 1998

It stinks that you have to get rid of the XJ. If there is guy in your area that sells a lot of jeeps, it might not hurt to bring it to him and buy it off of you. You might not get top dollar that you are looking for but he might give you a fair deal. A personal person might try to low ball the heck out of you because they don't know what they are looking at. As far as the parts that you have extra for the jeep sell them on the side and get some of your money back for them. The add looks very good and very descriptive its nice that you list all of the things that were changed and upgraded.
Old 02-10-2016, 11:55 AM
CF Veteran

Received 126 Likes on 98 Posts
Year: 1989
Model: Cherokee (XJ)

Its all about what people are willing to pay for it. I would look at comps. look at craigslist/auto trader for similar vehicles in your area, try to price in the same area if you are looking for a reasonable sell, higher if you expect to get top dollar, but wait for it, and undercut if you are wanting a quick sell.
Old 02-11-2016, 01:00 PM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

The problem is people will just look at the miles and book value, not the extensive, thoughtful mods and many wont see the value in the new engine, solenoids, etc. If it were Fern green (my jeeps color) orange or maybe the darker red, I'd offer up $5000 for it, keeping in mind I'd have to drive it home 16 hours and the cost associated with that. And that is with me having done almost everything you have - down to the new engine and replacing EVERYTHING that bolts to it in terms of rubber and sensors - and making projector headlights, therefore deeply understanding the manpower and money involved, but you have to find that person who "gets it" ...and loves white.