XJ/MJ/ZJ/WJ
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Market price for 1988 Jeep Cherokee?

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-2013, 11:54 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default Market price for 1988 Jeep Cherokee?

My boyfriend and I want to buy a 1988 Jeep Cherokee -6 cylinder 4wd from his cousin. I've been trying to figure out what a fair price would be. The Kelly Blue Book website only goes to like '91 or '92 (and the lowest price was $850, but that's running) No other Internet searches have come up with a price either. His cousin has said he wants $800 for it, which we wouldn't have a problem with except the Jeep doesn't run. We've heard there is a problem with the water pump, head gasket, and/or radiator cap. No one's really sure what all is wrong, those are just speculations (the cousin is currently in mechanic school and his dad was a mechanic.) There's also an issue with the clips that connect the battery - he apparently went a really cheap route for those and they don't fit right, causing shorts. Those are the main problems. The exterior's a little rough, as is the inside. That's not a big concern. The fact that the Jeep doesn't run is the biggest factor. Before we started talking about buying it, someone wanted to buy it for parts.

My boyfriend's stepdad told us the smartest thing to do is just put a new engine in it - which we both agree with, since we don't know all that's wrong with it. We've been given ballpark prices on engines around $400-$600 (not counting labor). So if anyone has an idea of what a Jeep in this poor condition would be, I'd really appreciate some insight. Thank you.
Old 05-02-2013, 12:28 AM
CF Veteran

Year: 2000
Engine: l6 HO

Well, with only knowing what you've stated you really don't know that you need a new engine. It's really hard to "cheap out" on battery terminals - they are only like 3 or 4 bucks... So something funny is up there. Does the motor turn over? As in does it just crank and crank or does it not turn at all? Like u said it's really hard to say on price. But for something that old, not running needing work... I wouldn't pay a penny over 500. Only because you can get yourself a decent running 4x4 xj easily for 1200-1500 all day.

You can find these old non running xjs and usually pay around 250-500 sometimes even free and all they need are some 5 dollar battery terminals. If he's going to school to be a mechanic he better know what those are haha.

And you are right with the common problems you've mentioned. But not one of those problems would stop the jeep from running. I'd be willing to bet it's something that will be easily fixed. Those renixs are funny.

Last edited by NewJerseyXJ609; 05-02-2013 at 12:33 AM.
Old 05-02-2013, 01:51 AM

Well, the last time it was running, it went a little over a mile before it died and wouldn't start (which is how it ended up in our yard). They thought it was the battery, but when my father in law took the battery back to his house to charge it, it was fully charged. My mother in law said that when she turned the key (she was driving it when it broke down), lights would come on, but it wouldn't even try to start. My boyfriend's cousin bought the terminal things for super cheap - something like 2 for $1.50. Apparently they're like universal terminals or something so they fit but not well. My father in law told me they were really cheap anyway and we're definitely going to get the proper ones. As for what else is wrong, the cousin said the Jeep would overheat if it ran for very long. He said he thinks the water pump needs replacing. His dad (the mechanic) who owned and drove the Jeep before is the one who thinks the head gasket and radiator cap needs to be replaced. I probably should also mention this Jeep spent several years being driven hard (and sitting) in the desert, and I know that can be harsh on vehicles...especially when they're not cared for too well. Past that, no one really knows what all is wrong with it.

The main reason we just want to replace the engine is because we don't want to fix the things we've been told were wrong and then every couple of months have to fix something else. We live in a rural area, so it's not like we can just tow it down the street to a mechanic. The nearest one is 25 miles away. The cousin was supposed to fix it and get it running properly so he could drive it to Wyoming, where he was going to school, but he never did get it running right.

Thank you for your pricing suggestion. That's right around what everyone's saying would be fair.
Old 05-02-2013, 01:56 AM
CF Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1995
Engine: 4.0

I wouldn't pay over $200 for it. See how much a scrapper will pay for it then offer him like $25 more. Unless you're doing the engine swap yourself you'll be sinking a lot of cash in to this thing.
Old 05-02-2013, 02:34 AM

Year: 1991

Sounds like a project renix and a project renix can be a nightmare. It could just need anything from bad sensors to vacuum leaks. I have an 88 and its my daily driver and let me tell you its been a journey keeping it in shape. From what you have described that jeep sounds better as a parts jeep, paying over $600 I would say is paying too much. If your boyfriend decides to buy it tell him to sign up here at CF theres plenty of info and helpful users including myself that would be more than happy to help him out with restoring a Renix.
Old 05-02-2013, 07:22 AM
CF Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 1990
Engine: I6 4.0

Sounds like its way over priced. Pay around 300-400. That way you can scrap or part out a few things if it goes wrong. It appears that the previous owner just drove it and didn't maintain it. Overheating is bad, it could have been fixed for pretty cheap back then. If its body is beaten up than that should take away value too.

For reference, here in NY I bought 2 running Jeeps in that price range. A 97 XJ with 234k and no rust for $1000. A 88 MJ with 214K and a rusty floor for a few hundred bucks.
Old 05-02-2013, 11:07 AM
CF Veteran

$500 at the most, not running, unless its only a minor issue and is otherwise perfect. I only paid $500 for mine, and it was in decent shape at the time and running great.
Old 05-02-2013, 11:30 AM

Year: 1992

Buy it way cheaper than 800 like 1/4 of that. These motors are super easy swap. But then again you guys better be more of a mechanic than the ppl selling this. You maybe getting in over your heads. This cherokee sounds like more problems than its worth.
Old 05-02-2013, 03:11 PM

it all depends what you plan on spending total and whatnot. you could buy it for 500 and spend 2500 to get a motor put in with all new parts. I just had a swap done on mine and for 2500 including labor I got an engine with 70k miles, new starter, power steering pump, water pump, belts, plugs, wires, EVERYTHING on the engine brand new it also has a 6 month 6k mile warranty. but I noticed you said it was driven hard in the wood and left or something like that, I would check the underbody and inspect the rust and ****. my friend bought a jeep for $1000 and a month later while mudding for the first time since he got it the underbody actually gave out and the jeeps whole body dropped with his wheels literally right behind the seats INSIDE the truck I was able to see the wheels spinning from the passenger seat (scariest ride of my life) but with all that being said its totally up to you and your call if it were me and the body and underbody werent bad id buy it for 500 and just avoid all the head aches and **** take the easy way out and get an engine swap
Old 05-02-2013, 03:25 PM
CF Veteran

Received 64 Likes on 54 Posts
Year: 1997

If it has been dumped on your yard you should be telling that cousin to tow it before you get it towed for him.

The reason you can't find a comparable jeep on the market is because a non running renix jeep that old is worth more in parts.

Take your $800 elsewhere.
Old 05-02-2013, 09:21 PM

Thanks for the replies. My boyfriend said he wasn't going to pay $800 - that's the price his cousin threw out when he was looking at buying some truck (I think that was the asking price) but there's no way we would ever pay that.

I don't know how good of a mechanic my boyfriend's uncle was. He made a decent living at it, but speed and crazy tweeker *****es sorta got in the way of him taking care of it better. My boyfriend's cousin just turned 19, so it's not like he's very experienced. I think he was using a manual or something to help him along. I actually don't mind it sitting in our yard - it makes it look like someone's home.

I don't care so much about the paint or interior (the fabric's really stained and worn. I don't think there's any rips.) - as long as it runs, I don't care what the outside or inside looks like. From what I can see, there isn't any rust, but I can't get underneath to see the bottom, so thank you for mentioning that. I will have my boyfriend check that out. We actually have some resources, from a relatively new engine from a local guy to a couple of mechanics at a shop my son's grandfather goes to who gives him really good deals on car repairs because he always goes there rather than the dealership, so we have that going for us (if the guy in town would charge too much.) The main reason we're trying to get this Jeep is because of where we live (we can go to a lot of places that require 4wd to get to) and the other car we could possibly buy is my boyfriend's sister's old Honda - which also needs a new engine (it caught on fire one night.) and neither one of us wants that one. We both know it needs work, but it's never seemed like it was a lost cause. My father in law (who recently restored an old Harley and repaired a Blazer that had some electrical problems) has been really helping us figure out what all we should get done on this. He has a stake in us getting it running because when we need to go somewhere, we use his wife's car (my boyfriend's mom)...he's already irritated that my boyfriend's sister uses it all the time rather than either getting a new car of her own or fixing the one she already has.

I'm not sure where some of you live, but the Jeeps...almost all the cars for that matter.... out here are always listed for a whole lot more than that (except for the few that are in our price range, but most of the time they need a lot of work too and we'd rather go through family than someone we don't know).
Old 05-02-2013, 10:18 PM

Year: 1991

look on craigslist you can find a decent running jeep for $1500. Leave the project jeeps to someone who knows a thing or two about these jeeps otherwise its just gonna be a big headache for you guys honestly.
Old 10-05-2013, 08:59 AM

The weight of it is about 3500 lbs, In my town its 10$ per hundred lbs, 350 for scrap weight. If it has cast aluminium rims, they go for between 15 and 18 each. So thats another 60$. The catalytic converter is hard to guess for scrap as it could got for as much as 100$ or as little a nothing, If it could pass inspection, it should be worth something. If not then it would also need replacing. You can never depend on it for determining scrap price of a vehicle. Me and my dad usually just say 20 for it, and all the good ones will outweigh the bad. Battery is worth 12$ as scrap, wiring harness will get you a few bucks, starter and alternator about 4-6$ each. If the tires are good, you could save them for resale(with or without rims) Common sizes for used tires sell fast at about 10- 25$ depending on condition. This doesnt account for people who would buy parts off the vehicle. Windshield and fenders are fast sellers. Some times people will need virtually every part from a vehicle and it could become totally stripped in a month. You make a lot more money this way, but it could also take a year.

You'd have to check your location scrap prices first.

For fixing it, Look around at scrap yards and check for the motors, If you think its an issue, Im lucky in my area I can get a motor for around 150$ and install it myself. Find a shade tree mechanic, they probably charge you around 300$.

Anyone who pays 2500 for a 6k mile warranty is paying a suckers price for a suckers warranty. I could do the job 5 times for that price and have money left over. If you wanted something with a warranty go ahead and get a factory refurbished motor from autozone, advance, or napa.
1600 at advance with a 3 year warranty for a 4.0.

I'd first try and fix the current one or diagnose a potential fix.
Overheating can be a multitude of things.
What I would consider worst to best case.
Worst would be:
Cracked engine block (could be welded by a competent wielder, but would cause a partial rebuild of engine.)
a cracked head. (needs replacing). (Needs a compression test to confim or deny)
Next a bad radiator.
Bad water pump. (which if not fixed would cause all the same problems as a bad thermostat)
Bad head gasket.
Bad thermostat.

Sadly, a bad thermostat which cost like 10$ usually goes untreated. Then makes the head gasket go bad, which in turn crack either the head or block or both.. Also people who think they are mechanics will put stop leak in a radiator, which will help with it stop losing fluids, but could ruin a thermostat and you can see where Im going with this.

Also not all cracks can be seen with outside inspection. Check the radiator for oil. Check the oil for water. If neither is there, check thermastat. (remove it from the vehical, place it on the stove and heat it up and see if it pops open, then remove it to see if it closes)

If you got oil in the water or water in the oil, remove the head. Look at the gasket, a complete chunk may be missing. And is a good/bad sign. The good is that could be all it is. The bad means it could get worse under further inspection. Clean the gasket off the head and motor.look for any cracks between where things look like they should be fitted together tightly.

As far as the not starting. Even with a fresh battery.,
Worst case is mentioned above, crack head and block not letting compression happen.
Next, would be fuel pump.
Timing belt
fuel filters clogged up.
O2 sensors( but vehical will show sign usually of this failling, like idling high then low then high, before failing.) Running for a while then just wont crank then later cranking agian which the fuel pump will also do.)
distributor, buttons inside the distributor.

A mechanic can pressure check the fuel lines to see if the pump is bad with the right tools.

Check for fire with the spark plugs, if its not getting fire, chances are the timing belt is broke or the distributor is bad.

Also water inside a distributor will cause it to not fire, take starting fluid and spray inside the distributor and cap to clean it out. Look an see how bad the button is worn.(replace the button you could get surprized if you got a couple bucks.)
If the distributor is good, and still no fire, then probably the belt or ignition.

It might be worth paying a mechanic(who doesnt know them) to check and see whats wrong with it.
Only after you know the cost to fix could you even attempt to estimate the price. If the body and tires were in good shape and all the bells and whistles appeared good(seals, brakes, signals). I would pay 600-800 without an engine in it even.

How much is a vehicle worth to you?
Can you maintain liability insurance?
A lot of people need a car, and to many people have cars they cannot afford to maintain or keep properly covered.

Your questioning of an 800$ vehicle causes me to question your actual needs though. Maybe you should invest in a 50cc moped that are new for like 600$.

If you cant fix a car or know someone who can come over to help you, you probably shouldn't attempt to purchase a broken vehicle as a "first vehicle".

If you plan to fix it, tools are a must and are another investment.
Old 10-05-2013, 09:44 AM
CF Veteran

Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts
Year: 1995
Model: Grand Cherokee
Engine: 4.0 with all of the noise and clatter

You're going to spend the same money on a beater that needs a lot of work just to get it on the road as you would for a turn key Jeep that is already a driver. You just have to decide if you want to put the full amout of cash out now and enjoy a running Jeep, or a little at a time over the course of a year and never really be happy with the beater. Even a free Jeep is expensive.
Old 10-05-2013, 03:07 PM

Originally Posted by Bustedback
You're going to spend the same money on a beater that needs a lot of work just to get it on the road as you would for a turn key Jeep that is already a driver. You just have to decide if you want to put the full amout of cash out now and enjoy a running Jeep, or a little at a time over the course of a year and never really be happy with the beater. Even a free Jeep is expensive.
it could be nothing major wrong with it and a steal at 800$ from the description OP should of took pictures and posted at minimum.

I have a running one i'd sell for 1k, location is morganton nc. Not really looking to sell it, but if offered.
I also have a 1992 f 150 v8 4x4. 1800$
I'd been thinking of selling one of them. I drive the truck daily, I drove the jeep to elizabeth city and back it used just a little oil, but it doesnt smoke, they is oil under the hood so probally just valve gasket which isnt a major concern as long as oil is checked and filled regularly.

(I bought the jeep from my daughter without an intention of using it) shes moving to detroit and will be getting a company car.
1k is a little less then I paid.
1800 is a lot less then I paid.
I live in city limit and really dont need a car at all except im lazy.

Quick Reply: Market price for 1988 Jeep Cherokee?