Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Main Issues

Search this Thread

Old 09-25-2016, 12:22 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default Main Issues

I have a 96 jeep cherokee sport 4.0L I don't know much about vehicles. There's a crack in my exhaust (manifold)

1. Now its difficult to start. Changed the alternator. Still doesn't want to start.

2 . When it was driving ok it would be missing. I couldn't go over 45 mph because it would halt almost stopping, and after stopping at red light it would take to speed up again, watching all other vehicles pass me by.

3. Accidentally put a new battery on wrong-positive to negative and negative to positive. It sparked.

4. Gages went haywire. Radio doesnt come on anymore, tried changing fuses. Only fixed 1 or 2 issues with gages.

5. Driver window didn't go up or down. Youtubed! Took off door panel. Tapped on the motor, moved wires around and the left passenger window went out.

6. Automotive shop. Priced parts and labor for head gasket fix and manifold fix $669- $679
Old 09-25-2016, 12:23 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee

Originally Posted by Terreljr
I have a 96 jeep cherokee sport 4.0L I don't know much about vehicles. There's a crack in my exhaust (manifold)

1. Now its difficult to start. Changed the alternator. Still doesn't want to start.

2 . When it was driving ok it would be missing. I couldn't go over 45 mph because it would halt almost stopping, and after stopping at red light it would take to speed up again, watching all other vehicles pass me by.

3. Accidentally put a new battery on wrong-positive to negative and negative to positive. It sparked.

4. Gages went haywire. Radio doesnt come on anymore, tried changing fuses. Only fixed 1 or 2 issues with gages.

5. Driver window didn't go up or down. Youtubed! Took off door panel. Tapped on the motor, moved wires around and the left passenger window went out.

6. Automotive shop. Priced parts and labor for head gasket fix and manifold fix $669- $679
Also had overheating issues, didn't replace little thermostat..