Cherokee Chat General non-tech Cherokee chat
XJ/MJ/ZJ/WJ

Looking at my first XJ...advice?

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-2014, 08:34 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default Looking at my first XJ...advice?

Hey all, I am looking to pick up something before the winter and my buddy has a 2000 XJ Sport he wants to sell. It has 149k on the body but he replaced the transmission a year ago and the previous owner had replaced the engine. My buddy has done quite a bit of preventative maintenance to it as well. Ball joints, alternator, starter, battery, brakes, plugs, wires, steering stabilizer, and muffler. Everything works on it as it should. A/C, power locks, windows, etc. It also has a Viper remote start/alarm. All in all, it's a very nice Jeep.

It did have one spot of rust on the passenger door about the size of a quarter that he sanded down and primed. There are a few dings and whatnot around it, and small dent in the tailgate by the handle and bumper where the previous owner missed his small trailer he used to pull. The undercarriage is rust free, as well as the rockers and door seams. Interior is in great shape as well. It does have a small lift on it and almost new BFG KM2's.

What would be a fair asking price for this Jeep? He planned on posting it on CL for $5,000, but said would sell it to me for $4,500. Does that sound fair? Looking around on our local CL, there isn't anything near this clean for a similar price. I live in Iowa btw.

This would be a DD commuter for me in the winter and my fiance, 4 year old son, and 6 month old daughter would be along for part of the ride when it snows. I assume I wouldn't have an issue driving this thing on a daily basis in the winter with the family?

Thanks for any advice and help.

-Andy

Old 10-21-2014, 08:48 AM
CF Veteran

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
Year: 1999
Engine: 4.0

If the interior is as clean as the exterior it might not be to bad of a buy with a newer engine and transmission for that price. If it were me I would offer $4000 for it and see where that goes, tell him family limits what you can afford right now, you can always come up with your offer.
Old 10-21-2014, 08:52 AM

Year: 1994
Engine: 4.0L

i agree nice Jeep ... offer 3500-4000 and go from there

winter wise these are outstanding vehicles
Old 10-21-2014, 09:17 AM
CF Veteran

Received 64 Likes on 54 Posts
Year: 1997

What transfer case does it have? If it's a 242, great. If not, you might be able to say you'd rather have one for winter driving and bargain a little harder. (But don't be put off either way)
Old 10-21-2014, 10:15 AM

Originally Posted by Morat
What transfer case does it have? If it's a 242, great. If not, you might be able to say you'd rather have one for winter driving and bargain a little harder. (But don't be put off either way)
I am almost postive it has the NP242 since it had the "Part-time" option. Am I correct that the NP242 has that? It was dark when I drove it last night and didn't take a good look at the 4wd lever. He told me it had the good head and transfer case though.

I honestly trust him as he has helped me do some things on my Camaro and is a great guy. He doesn't even want to sell me the Jeep because he will feel bad if something happens. He wants to pull it in the garage this week sometime and have me come up and look it over and we can check everything to make sure there isn't anything I see wrong. If there is, he will fix it. For instance, he told me the battery tie-down is missing and he said he would order it today so it's there this weekend. Just the little things he has mentioned like that lead me to believe it's a great Jeep.

I would still feel more comfortable giving $4,000 for it though. I think that would be fair for all parties involved. Appreciate the quick help all. Can't thank you enough.
Old 10-21-2014, 11:07 AM
CF Veteran

Received 64 Likes on 54 Posts
Year: 1997

Both TCs have Part Time, only the 242 has Full Time which lets you run in 4WD on the road. Opinion varies as to which is "the good" TC according to use. If you're after a winter/snow vehicle I'd say the 242 is the better one for your needs. 231 has more availability for Slip Yoke Eliminator kits etc which are only needed if you're lifting your Jeep and are supposedly stronger for wheeling (I wouldn't know).
Just ask which it has and pull a long face either way
Old 10-21-2014, 11:37 AM

The Jeep may find itself off the beaten path a few times a year, but I certainly have no intentions of beating on it. This would just be a winter rig/DD for a year or so until I can afford to get back in a crew cab truck. The new house and new baby has a taken a toll on us this year .
Old 10-24-2014, 07:24 AM

Just an update. He won't come down from $4500 which I understand. He has more than that in it with all the maintenance and transmission replacement. He did want to make a deal for $4000 and a Chevy 6.0L I have sitting in my garage for my next project. However, I won't have another project for awhile, I only gave $150 for the engine, and it had a bottom end knock. I am torn as far as what to do. I really don't want to give up the 6.0 because I have a good rotating assembly for it, but I really think the Jeep would be a good DD for me for a couple of years. On the other hand, I don't want to pay $4500 for it either, ha. I am thinking I will probably just fork over the cash. I assume I can get most of my money back when I go to sell it later on down the road. Thoughts?
Old 10-24-2014, 10:43 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

4500 isnt bad i paid 5300 for one with 94,000 miles and it was from iowa as well its rust free though and has the 8.25 rear end but not the 242 t case..... Its hard to find one not all rotted out around these parts...
Old 10-24-2014, 02:33 PM

Right on, thanks man. I think I will go ahead and pick it up. Should be fun to drive through the winter and as a DD for a bit.
Old 10-24-2014, 03:21 PM
Seasoned Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 2000
Model: Cherokee(XJ)
Engine: 4.0 L

It could just be my eyes, but it looks like the rockers have been sanded on like they were once rusty?
Old 10-24-2014, 03:37 PM

Year: 1999

Id say go for it. You'll feel more confident driving your family around in a blizzard in an xj than anything else. Worth every penny for one good shape like that
Old 10-25-2014, 10:31 AM

Originally Posted by kcdt58
It could just be my eyes, but it looks like the rockers have been sanded on like they were once rusty?
It does look like that but it isn't rust. The only small rust spot there was that he fixed was on the passenger front door corner. The rockers are clean outside of some rock chips. I'll definitely look it over well though as maybe the previous owner had some patch work done.