Cherokee Chat General non-tech Cherokee chat
XJ/MJ/ZJ/WJ

Looking to Buy a '98 Cherokee Classic - what should I look out for?

Old 10-26-2010, 03:14 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default Looking to Buy a '98 Cherokee Classic - what should I look out for?

Hello everyone.....I am looking to buy a 1998 Cherokee Classic from a local used car dealer and was wondering if there is a certain set of things that I should look out for while visually inspecting and test driving the vehicle. I would say that I have extensive knowledge of cars and know what to generally look for, but are there things specific to a 1998 Cherokee that I should spend extra time looking at or be aware of?

What I know so far; one owner vehicle with only 105k on the clock. 100% stock - no modifications to engine, suspension, wheels/tires.

Thanks, in advance, for your input.
Old 10-26-2010, 03:51 PM
CF Veteran

Year: 1998
Engine: 4.0

Originally Posted by Chopper
Hello everyone.....I am looking to buy a 1998 Cherokee Classic from a local used car dealer and was wondering if there is a certain set of things that I should look out for while visually inspecting and test driving the vehicle. I would say that I have extensive knowledge of cars and know what to generally look for, but are there things specific to a 1998 Cherokee that I should spend extra time looking at or be aware of?

What I know so far; one owner vehicle with only 105k on the clock. 100% stock - no modifications to engine, suspension, wheels/tires.

Thanks, in advance, for your input.
Be sure when driving it to test the transfer case!
Also check the rear main seal, as they tend to leak, as well as the valve cover gasket, but that's an easy fix, and then could make a way to talk down the price though!
Also not sure where you are, but in the rust belt we get underneath and make sure the floors, rockers, door bottoms, etc. all rust free!
Good luck with it!!
Old 10-26-2010, 04:54 PM
CF Veteran

Year: 1999
Engine: 4.0 I6

just like with any other vehicle, look out for rust.
generally, if the price suits you, there are no expensive fixes. as long as you do it yourself. and with this website under your hand, there's nothing we can't help you fix.
Old 10-26-2010, 05:22 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1997
Model: Grand Cherokee
Engine: 5.2

also try to throw it in a pot hole on the passenger side goin about 50 to see if it has deathwobble. that is a HUGE pita. just trying to save some headaches.
Old 10-27-2010, 09:30 AM

Thanks for the input guys. I am located in Illinois, but the vehicle is originally from Wisconsin. I still have not gone to look at it yet, but based on pictures, there is a small rust spot on the passenger side, front quarter panel, just in front of the fender flare. Looking at other XJ's, this appears to be pretty typical, especially for this age and area.

I will defintely be sliding under the car to look for any additional rust problems. I am hoping to check it out this Friday. I will keep everyone updated.