XJ/MJ/ZJ/WJ
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Little help/advise/thoughts on my new XJ build

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-2017, 01:43 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Little help/advise/thoughts on my new XJ build

Ok so I finally bought another XJ this on is a 99 classic 4.0L auto with 190K on it. When I went to look at it the engine was out do to a spun rod bearing, So it was getting a used engine with new head gasket, water pump, seals, etc. I was told the jeep had a 4.5 inch rubicon express lift on it, come to find out thats not the case. It has fabtech shocks on it, and I can't tell or see any labels on the springs or control arms. It does have ACOS coil spacers on it and a SYE as well. Vehicle has some horrible steering issues, Lots of pops and clunks over the smallest bumps, and some highway vibrations.

NOW that that is out of the way my plan is to get at least another inch of lift, but the more I look into it I could buy the Rough Country 6.5 inch X-series Lift short arm with drop brackets for around $1,000. I think that would be close to what it would cost me to piece together shocks, spacers, brackets and other misc items to get to 6.5 inches working with what I already have.... PLUS it would all be new!!

Also looking to buy the CavFab front steering setup to help with the handling and steering issues.

What do you all think??? Is that to much? Should I just piece together a lift to get to 6.5 inches with what I have??

So far I've done a heater core, steering gear box, battery with negative cable, TPS, IACV, New 33x12.50x15 Grabber At2's, American Racing 5 star wheels, Front Bumper with winch and new front U-Joints and transmission mount

Picture with black wheels is when I bought it on 31x10.50's..... Next Picture is how it sits today
Attached Thumbnails Little help/advise/thoughts on my new XJ build-img_0768.jpg   Little help/advise/thoughts on my new XJ build-img_0554.jpg   Little help/advise/thoughts on my new XJ build-img_0553.jpg  

Last edited by mongold88; 01-19-2017 at 01:49 PM.
Old 01-19-2017, 01:55 PM
CF Veteran

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Year: 1999
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0

I don't think you'll be happy with rough country or short arms at 6.5 inches.
Old 01-19-2017, 02:20 PM

Originally Posted by Martlor13
I don't think you'll be happy with rough country or short arms at 6.5 inches.
Why's that? I was planning on doing drop brackets with the 6.5 inch lift until I can save up for the long arm upgrade.

It's going to be a DD yet it will see mud, snow, and some light trailing
Old 01-19-2017, 02:40 PM
CF Veteran

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Year: 1999

Originally Posted by mongold88
Why's that? I was planning on doing drop brackets with the 6.5 inch lift until I can save up for the long arm upgrade.

It's going to be a DD yet it will see mud, snow, and some light trailing
rough country isn't exactly known for quality. Also, just me personally, I wouldn't do drop brackets higher then 5.5 inches. My first jeep was like that and it was stupid rough haha. Long arms fixed the issue.

I woukd just save up for a quality long arm kit right away.
Old 01-19-2017, 03:29 PM

Originally Posted by Martlor13
rough country isn't exactly known for quality. Also, just me personally, I wouldn't do drop brackets higher then 5.5 inches. My first jeep was like that and it was stupid rough haha. Long arms fixed the issue.

I woukd just save up for a quality long arm kit right away.
That's what I'm trying to figure out, half of what I read says long arms are no good for DD and to go with drop bracket its, the other half is reversed lol..
Old 01-19-2017, 04:00 PM
Seasoned Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 1992

Honestly, I wouldn't go 6.5 or rough country. What's wrong with the 4.5 lift it has now?
Old 01-19-2017, 04:59 PM

Originally Posted by Guywitha92
Honestly, I wouldn't go 6.5 or rough country. What's wrong with the 4.5 lift it has now?
It's a thrown together lift and I really don't know how old it is. Has wondering issues, clunks and pops bad over the smallest bump, I'm assuming the polyurethane bushings are worn. I'd like to have a newer lift installed and all the same brand so if issues arise in the future I'll be able to explain the lift.

And I'm not opposed to staying at 4.5 through 5.5 either.