Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Light Bar bad glare. any fixes?

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-2015, 01:23 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default Light Bar bad glare. any fixes?

So I'm new to the Cherokee forum all though I have owned my Cherokee for a long time and built her from stock to what she looks like today, a monster if I must say so myself. Lol but I was wondering if there was anyway to stop the terrible glare coming from a light bar on the hood? I tried adjusting it but it didn't do much, only shined the beam to high.. I even thought about painting the hood flat black or rhino lining it professionally of course. But I'd like to here any other opinions? Thanks
Old 10-10-2015, 01:58 AM
CF Veteran

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Part of it looks like the jack is blocking light,Do you know what brand light it is and what beam the light is?
Old 10-10-2015, 11:25 AM

It's a CNC light bar and really all I know is it's 25,000 lumens so it should be shining farther than that, correct?
Old 10-10-2015, 11:35 AM
CF Veteran

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Depends on the beam pattern.
Dual pattern or flood pattern mounted overhead brings the fail every time.

Spot or pencil beams go overhead.
Flood or driving lights out front at or just below the headlight height.
Foglights are always mounted low.
Old 10-10-2015, 03:08 PM
CF Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 1999
Engine: 4.0L Inline 6

The position to the bar is close to the hood, so you're going to get a lot of glare.

In my setup, I have it mounted above the roof, which keeps it further from the hood. This makes the beam higher up as well.
Old 10-10-2015, 03:20 PM
CF Veteran

Engine: 4.0

Well all I can say is that all your answers above hit it right on the head, every one of them! It really looks more like a flood light than a spot or driving.

If it were me I would move the Hi-Lift to another location as well, roof rack has plenty of room to mount it out of the way.
Old 10-10-2015, 05:02 PM

Originally Posted by thatXJguy
The position to the bar is close to the hood, so you're going to get a lot of glare.

In my setup, I have it mounted above the roof, which keeps it further from the hood. This makes the beam higher up as well.
But removing the Jack means buying a new hood because my bondo skills aren't very great and 're drilling for the limb lifters I'll look into maybe custom brackets before I have to switch hoods and all that thanks for the respond though!
Old 10-10-2015, 08:01 PM
CF Veteran

The distance from the hood is totally irrelevant.
Beam pattern is the problem.
Raising it above and aft of the top of the windshield might help, but It will have to be quite a ways back.
Old 10-10-2015, 09:34 PM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by SeriousOffroad
The distance from the hood is totally irrelevant.
It shouldn't be. By putting the beam higher up, you remove the hood from its path.

I once tried the Hooligan mounts which are closer to the hood and it was glare city.

When I tried Inspired Engineering mounts with the same light bar, it was comfy to look forward.
Old 10-10-2015, 09:55 PM
CF Veteran

I looked up the light bar he has on his rig, it's a DUAL PATTERN. That means FLOOD LIGHT PATTERN on the ends.

Look at the pic of the glare the OP posted, it clearly shows a tremendous amount of light on the hood. that doesn't happen with a single pattern (Read: SPOT BEAM/PENCIL BEAM) light.
Old 10-11-2015, 12:23 AM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by SeriousOffroad
I looked up the light bar he has on his rig, it's a DUAL PATTERN. That means FLOOD LIGHT PATTERN on the ends.

Look at the pic of the glare the OP posted, it clearly shows a tremendous amount of light on the hood. that doesn't happen with a single pattern (Read: SPOT BEAM/PENCIL BEAM) light.
Yeah, so?

I went through two dual-patterns before choosing the spot-only. I have experience on both fronts with both mounts. Same results.
Old 10-11-2015, 11:12 AM
Banned

Received 45 Likes on 45 Posts
Year: 2000

Originally Posted by thatXJguy
Yeah, so? I went through two dual-patterns before choosing the spot-only. I have experience on both fronts with both mounts. Same results.
So all the setups you've run gave off glare? So really it's just the amount of glare you're willing to live with right? I've been tossing around my need for my overhead lately, I love the look and the amount of light, but really starting to think on when I would actually use it/need it. I have custom Hooligan mounts made for a single row, so they don't look as hideous imo. I was considering the Farmer ones as well, but they just look awkward/goofy to me.

The custom ones I had Hooligan make could mount a dual row as well, and they're around 2" slimmer in profile.
Old 10-11-2015, 11:51 AM
CF Veteran

Any light mounted overhead and in front of the windshield is going to produce some glare on the hood. Take a close look at the 2nd pic in the OP. That's not just glare, that's a direct light from the Flood Light portion of the OP's lightbar.
Old 10-11-2015, 11:51 AM
CF Veteran

My lights aren't LED's on the roof but I checked them when I mounted in the tabs I had mounted to see if I had glare or not. They are spots on the rack but I still had to move it back a ways from the windshield to get rid of glare on it and the hood. Any further forward and I had problems with it, the lights on my bull bar are a set of spots and a set of combo's.

But you get the picture and like as most said and Frank cleared up on what they were for sure. Here is how far back I had to set mine.
Name:  Jeep3-29-14027_zpsd88edcf5.jpg
Views: 1206
Size:  80.1 KB
Old 10-11-2015, 04:06 PM
CF Veteran

Another factor that I forgot to mention is that my Jeep has about 1.5 inch of forward rake, so my light bar positioning may be different. I compensate for the rake by aiming it upwards more, which further puts it away from the hood.

Quick Reply: Light Bar bad glare. any fixes?