Lift options

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-2015, 04:26 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1996
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0L I6
Default Lift options

Okay so I have been researching lift kit options. I have decided to go with the 3" rough country. The one for $345 with the add a leafs and the longer LCA's. I have recently read that there are still some things that I would need to but on top of the lift kit... Is this true or does kit have the parts to hit the ground running. Also is it possible to put rear shackles on and spacers in the front on top of the lift and still be safe

Last edited by cbowl; 08-24-2015 at 04:31 PM.
Old 08-24-2015, 04:27 PM
CF Veteran

Received 224 Likes on 174 Posts
Year: 1999
Model: Cherokee (XJ)
Engine: 4.0 L

Lol what?

I'm assuming you want info on lifts. How about you put your big boy undies on and do some research. We don't like to spoon feed.

Check out the stickied threads. Check out other forums. Google everything. You can do it.
Old 08-24-2015, 04:32 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1996
Engine: 4.0L I6

Originally Posted by XJlimitedx99
Lol what?

I'm assuming you want info on lifts. How about you put your big boy undies on and do some research. We don't like to spoon feed.

Check out the stickied threads. Check out other forums. Google everything. You can do it.
I posted before I finished typing bud
Old 08-24-2015, 04:38 PM
CF Veteran

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Year: 1998
Engine: 4.0

cbowl, welcome to CF. It's important to state what your needs and expectations are since not everyone's are the same. That way, you are more likely to get information that you need as a consumer to make informed decisions. Otherwise, you risk throwing money out the window and being very disappointed in your rigs ride and capabilities.
Old 08-24-2015, 05:15 PM
CF Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Engine: 4.0L Inline 6

You should avoid Rough Country, AND add-a-leaf kits.
Old 08-24-2015, 07:46 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 2000

My first lift on my xj was that exact lift was what I could afford after purchasing my rig worked great for me but only kept it for 4 months and decided to as the CYBER BULLY stated above I put my big boy panties on and went long arms and big lift I say put what you want on it you can always get bigger panties later
Old 08-24-2015, 07:50 PM
CF Veteran

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Year: 1994 SE

Originally Posted by cbowl
Okay so I have been researching lift kit options. I have decided to go with the 3" rough country. The one for $345 with the add a leafs and the longer LCA's. I have recently read that there are still some things that I would need to but on top of the lift kit... Is this true or does kit have the parts to hit the ground running. Also is it possible to put rear shackles on and spacers in the front on top of the lift and still be safe
You may have been researching lift packages, but it doesn't appear that you have done any real research further than that. Yes you will need more parts, look here: https://www.cherokeeforum.com/f67/nk...-chart-211878/ May I suggest that instead of just getting more parts you do some actual research and get good parts. Example: instead of AAL get full packs, instead of 3" coils +spacers get 4.5" coils, etc. Then if you go that high a long arm setup will be recommended. It can get expensive fast, and totally useless for anything except for mall-crawling if done incorrectly (cheaply).

Lol what?

Pardon our friend here, but you (the OP) do sound like a tool. This reply isn't too bad believe it or not, at least you didn't come in asking about body lifts and block spacers for the rear.
Old 08-25-2015, 03:38 AM
CF Veteran

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

http://www.rustysoffroad.com/jeep-su...-pack-kit.html is better option for money you get full leaf packs vs add a leaf.
Old 08-25-2015, 06:49 AM
CF Veteran

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Year: 2001
Engine: 4.0L I6 HO

Lol what?

Perfect answer.

OP, there's alot more studying to do. At 3" there's several more things you'll need. Extended rear brake lines if you plan to flex. Relocate front brake lines. New TB. Etc. All the info is here in these threads for your pleasure. And yes, rough country + AAL is a bad bad thing
Old 08-25-2015, 07:46 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 2000

Originally Posted by cbowl
i asked friends and searched here and a normal google search before i bought my lift. most said to stay away from a cheap lift like that. and especially stay away from add a leafs. also first hand experience with my sons jeep proved everyone right on the add a leafs.

i ended up with a rubicon express 3.5" lift that came with new rear springs, new rear brake line, and lower control arms..

extras i bought to go with the lift:
longer front brake hoses because i didn't like how the directions wanted me to do it.

a dual shear rubicon express track bar.

the u-bolts for a 8 1/4 rear because the kit came with u-bolts for a dana 35

also got a t-case drop kit from a friend to use until i can afford the slip yoke eliminator.

below is pretty nice chart thats posted here in numerous places to tell you what you need for different size lifts..
you can follow the link in my sig. to see my build and the parts i used.
Attached Images  
Old 08-25-2015, 01:39 PM
CF Veteran

Received 224 Likes on 174 Posts
Model: Cherokee (XJ)
Engine: 4.0 L

Lol what? I'm assuming you want info on lifts. How about you put your big boy undies on and do some research. We don't like to spoon feed. Check out the stickied threads. Check out other forums. Google everything. You can do it.
Hey guys, I appreciate a few of you sticking up for me but when I posted this response the OP had typed like 5 words and accidentally posted the thread and I replied before he could fix it. Sorry for coming off like a jerk.

OP, you need to understand that this is the cheapest lift kit on the market for a reason.

The add-a-leafs will sag faster than you would think. The shocks that come with the kit are basically garbage.

You will still need an adjustable track bar. You will also need longer brake lines or brakeline relocation brackets if you plan on wheeling. You may also need a transfercase drop kit if you get vibrations.

IMHO this kit is nothing more than a gimmick to get sales because of its unbeatable price. You would quickly realize the quality just isn't there.

My recommendation is to either spend more money on a nicer kit, or get a smaller lift. With a 1.5-2" lift you can get away without doing brakelines, trackbar, swaybar links, and control arms.

30x9.5 tires on a small lift, or 31/32s if you also cut the fenders out. Much cheaper, safer, and more realistic option.