K and N cold air intake

Search this Thread

Old 11-26-2015, 11:02 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Year: 2000
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0
Default K and N cold air intake

Is it worth buying this cold air intake for $250... Will it give my 2000 jeep Cherokee more power and if you have one how do you like it?
Old 11-26-2015, 11:06 PM
Seasoned Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1998

No, not worth it. You won't see much gain (if any) over a stock paper filter. If you really have to change something, research cowl intakes.
Old 11-26-2015, 11:47 PM
CF Veteran

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

If you off road you will suck up water with it,Its best to go cowl intake if you can find one or go full snorkel.
Old 11-27-2015, 06:54 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

k&n type of filter allows more dirt in then a paper filter. i would never consider using a k&n type of filter on anything going off road. hell i won't run them in my street cars either for the same reason.
Old 11-28-2015, 10:42 AM
Herp Derp Jerp

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Year: 1999
Engine: 4.0L OBD-II

Crap filters and a scam. You can run a pipe from your factory air box to the cowl for cold, dry air. There are a few writeups on here.

K&N filters really let a lot of junk through. They're pretty bad for an engine. And WAAAAY overpriced!
Old 11-28-2015, 12:59 PM
CF Veteran

I've ran K&N Filters on everything I have owned for the last 25 yrs and nothing filters better than a properly serviced one that's been cleaned and then oiled with K&N filter oil. If this were not true then all the Pre Runners wouldn't have them. I used on my Dirt Track Late Models and Modified's as well as all my Drag race cars using Carbs with the Tops also. Every Cummins in my trucks/Motorhome as well as the Power Strokes have them also.

It has been shown time and again of the filtering power over a paper filter and the flow also which is very important. That with the fact of reusability and make them even more attractive.

I have saw people that should not have been using them because they had no idea on how to clean and service them or just to lazy. But they would have a filthy paper filter as well I suppose
Old 11-28-2015, 01:36 PM

If this were not true then all the Pre Runners wouldn't have them. I used on my Dirt Track Late Models and Modified's as well as all my Drag race cars using Carbs with the Tops also.
all vehicles that get pulled apart often.

do an oil analysis with a paper filter and a k&n and check out the difference. k&n lets more dirt in.
Old 11-28-2015, 05:12 PM
Herp Derp Jerp

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Engine: 4.0L OBD-II

Sorry, Fred, but lots of filters work better than a K&N, even when they're new. K&N's own spec states a 99% filtration rate - which is absolutely horrible. Real testing shows that they're even worse:

http://www.nicoclub.com/archives/kn-vs-oem-filter.html

I don't trust any of the oiled gauze filters. In person many times I've seen the dust that shows up where it shouldn't, and that's definitely a BAD sign. They ain't filterin'. As well, in any engine with a MAF you risk killing it with the oil that's thrown off of the element.

I have no idea who makes the AC Delco paper filters, but you just can't beat them. And of course Baldwin is a very respected name with professionals who are getting a million miles or more.

If you want less restriction in the intake, the answer is the same as with oil filters - add surface area.

Last edited by salad; 11-28-2015 at 05:46 PM.
Old 11-28-2015, 05:33 PM
Seasoned Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1998

Originally Posted by Fred/N0AZZ
I've ran K&N Filters on everything I have owned for the last 25 yrs and nothing filters better than a properly serviced one that's been cleaned and then oiled with K&N filter oil. If this were not true then all the Pre Runners wouldn't have them. I used on my Dirt Track Late Models and Modified's as well as all my Drag race cars using Carbs with the Tops also. Every Cummins in my trucks/Motorhome as well as the Power Strokes have them also. It has been shown time and again of the filtering power over a paper filter and the flow also which is very important. That with the fact of reusability and make them even more attractive. I have saw people that should not have been using them because they had no idea on how to clean and service them or just to lazy. But they would have a filthy paper filter as well I suppose
Where has this been shown that these filter better(other than from K&N themselves)? Every source I've seen says the opposite, that K&N allows more flow, but is not as good as paper for filtration.

I've also owned more than one K&N (yes, I know how to clean/service them)over the years, and can't say that I've ever really noticed any real power difference from one of their "cold" air intakes by itself. I have of course noticed a difference if actual "cold" air was routed into the intake, and it was combined with several other upgrades. I'm currently running a K&N filter in an '86 Z28, and a complete CAI kit on a '95 Z28.

Without doing a lot of other upgrades, a K&N would be IMHO a complete waste of time and money on an XJ.
Old 11-29-2015, 09:04 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Thanks!
Old 11-29-2015, 10:58 AM
kgm
CF Veteran

Year: 99

My dirt bike has a foam filter that I oil. I have to change it every ride because you want the air flow but want to avoid the dirt intake. Huge killer of mx engines is dirty air filters.
Old 11-29-2015, 12:10 PM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by salad
Sorry, Fred, but lots of filters work better than a K&N, even when they're new. K&N's own spec states a 99% filtration rate - which is absolutely horrible. Real testing shows that they're even worse:

http://www.nicoclub.com/archives/kn-vs-oem-filter.html

I don't trust any of the oiled gauze filters. In person many times I've seen the dust that shows up where it shouldn't, and that's definitely a BAD sign. They ain't filterin'. As well, in any engine with a MAF you risk killing it with the oil that's thrown off of the element.

I have no idea who makes the AC Delco paper filters, but you just can't beat them. And of course Baldwin is a very respected name with professionals who are getting a million miles or more.

If you want less restriction in the intake, the answer is the same as with oil filters - add surface area.

In many instances incorrect installation causes some of the problems you have described from not using a proper housing for the application I do not like them with a stock housing really. You see a lot of this at the race tracks of using cheap chrome air cleaner kits and not sealing properly at the top or bottom and the wing nut bolt hole is not sealed either. A high quality housing needs to be used with grease used on top and bottom of filter to seal. K&N also makes a wing nut seal for the top a must have.

You spoke of added surface area I used the K&N top also with my carb setups for a much higher flow rate than just a filter alone straight down into the carb.

I first tested this setup in 2001 at Hatfield Racing Engines Joplin, MO. on a engine that I had built for a street class of under 381 ci. It was a pump gas (93 oct.) full roller motor, Dart 215 Pro 1 heads, Victor Jr. Intake and a custom 950 Holly carb, 364 ci. It was dynoed with mufflers bolted to the headers for all pulls. After break-in was complete we added a stock 14" paper filter to it for 5 pulls jetting and timing as we went for a total of 559hp at 6125rpm's. Then swapped to the K&N setup with top hat for another 5 pulls had to re-jet again ended up with a total of 571hp at 6190 rpm's.

I do feel a lot of the gain had to do with added area of flow and the cleaning and oil/filter changes every week for so many years made me a bit **** about doing things. It also helped that NAPA was a Sponsor for me for a long time and provided all oil (Mobil !), filters NAPA NASCAR (Wix Racing), lubes and such that will last me for years. You know how it goes race on the weekends work on the car all week long, its a love affair.

The XJ I do the air filter every time that I'm off road and the oil/filter way to often really gives me something to do with my spare time. lol But its a toy in the end like the race cars only one left now of mine and one spare engine.