Cherokee Chat General non-tech Cherokee chat
XJ/MJ/ZJ/WJ
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Just how rare is a 5 speed 4.0 XJ, and am I getting a fair deal?

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-2015, 09:39 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default Just how rare is a 5 speed 4.0 XJ, and am I getting a fair deal?

I have been searching high and low for a 5 speed XJ on craigslist, dealer lots, etc. forever and they are so few and far between (from what I've seen). I finally found one from a sort of neighbor, its a '99 5 speed 4.0 4 door. EXACTLY what I've been looking for! He wants $1,200 and is pretty firm on the price. It has 200k on the odometer, but I'm not worried about that, 4.0's run forever. I am working minimum wage at a hardware store so this will do some damage to my bank account, I don't want to get burned.

The bad:
Rear hatch and drivers rear door wont open
Check engine light (owner claims O2 sensor)
Needs driver and passenger floor pans
Owner claims it sometimes "bucks" in 2nd but I didn't notice it
Needs a serious brake overhaul
Rattle from exhaust, probably a loose clamp

I'm not sure if I'm getting a good deal here, but it runs and drives good, goes straight down the road and doesn't seem to have any serious problems. It's lifted 2 inches and comes with two good sets of tires. I have the tools and the know how so I could do all the work myself, and I know a guy who is a big wig at a auto parts store so I can get shop prices or close to it. I've really fallen in love and I'll try to get pictures soon but I'm away until Saturday. What do you guys think?? Thanks for any and all input.

Last edited by BVXJ; 07-27-2015 at 09:41 AM.
Old 07-27-2015, 09:50 AM
CF Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 1999
Engine: 4.0L Inline 6

Most of the time when an owner says it's the "O2 sensor," it's not. Because you can replace them over and over again and it seems to never take care of the CEL problem. So something else could be wrong or he would have replaced it already.

It seems to be a pretty rare combo. $1200 might be a good deal if you want to fix everything. A ratting exhaust is typically a quick fix, as is a rear door that won't open.

But floor pans means rust, right? Chances are, you'll need a lot of time and money and welding skills to fix that, so you might as well buy another XJ at that point. Maybe you could swap the stuff over to a new one?
Old 07-27-2015, 10:01 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 2000
Engine: 4.0

i haven't run across too many 5 speeds around here. that one sounds like a parts jeep to me.. stay away from the rusty ones.

anyone you know have a code reader? couldn't hurt to see what codes its shooting.
Old 07-27-2015, 10:12 AM

Originally Posted by thatXJguy
Most of the time when an owner says it's the "O2 sensor," it's not. Because you can replace them over and over again and it seems to never take care of the CEL problem. So something else could be wrong or he would have replaced it already.

It seems to be a pretty rare combo. $1200 might be a good deal if you want to fix everything. A ratting exhaust is typically a quick fix, as is a rear door that won't open.

But floor pans means rust, right? Chances are, you'll need a lot of time and money and welding skills to fix that, so you might as well buy another XJ at that point. Maybe you could swap the stuff over to a new one?
Yes it means rust, but I live in VT so every cherokee is rusty. It's really not too bad, theres a small hole in the drivers side floor and that's it. The rocker panels look pretty solid. I have a welder and the skills required to fix it. It's pretty simple, cut out the old floor with an angle grinder, weld in new floor. About the codes yeah I will be sure to scan them before I buy it.
Old 07-27-2015, 10:14 AM
CF Veteran

Chiming in about the "O2 sensor" problem again.

The scanners aren't perfect and they throw O2 sensor codes all the time on 4.0Ls. Ask me how I know.

After replacing both upstream and downstream several times, I finally gave up on the CEL.

That's why I think it's something else.
Old 07-27-2015, 10:14 AM

Originally Posted by abodyjoe
i haven't run across too many 5 speeds around here. that one sounds like a parts jeep to me.. stay away from the rusty ones.

anyone you know have a code reader? couldn't hurt to see what codes its shooting.
Again it's impossible to stay away from the rusty ones in my neck of the woods.
Old 07-27-2015, 10:16 AM

Originally Posted by thatXJguy
Chiming in about the "O2 sensor" problem again.

The scanners aren't perfect and they throw O2 sensor codes all the time on 4.0Ls. Ask me how I know.

After replacing both upstream and downstream several times, I finally gave up on the CEL.

That's why I think it's something else.
To be honest I'm not that worried about the CEL. It runs good, and I know a guy who I can get an inspection sticker from even if it has a CEL.
Old 07-27-2015, 10:18 AM
CF Veteran

So it sounds like you're already sold then, go take your cash to the guy and get your rare XJ
Old 07-27-2015, 10:25 AM
CF Veteran

Received 226 Likes on 176 Posts
Model: Cherokee (XJ)
Engine: 4.0 L

Has the clutch ever been done?

If the rust isn't too bad (I'm in NH, I know how that goes haha) and everything else seem to be in decent shape then I think it's a good deal and would jump on it quick before somebody else does.
Old 07-27-2015, 10:43 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 2000

Originally Posted by BVXJ
Again it's impossible to stay away from the rusty ones in my neck of the woods.
you only have to go a few hours to find rust free ones. not a big deal..

so the rust is no big deal and the CEL is no big deal. whats the issue then? sounds like you have your mind set on it and decided you are buying it no matter what anyone says here.
Old 07-27-2015, 10:55 AM

Originally Posted by XJlimitedx99
Has the clutch ever been done?

If the rust isn't too bad (I'm in NH, I know how that goes haha) and everything else seem to be in decent shape then I think it's a good deal and would jump on it quick before somebody else does.
The clutch is one thing I'm kinda worried about, if it's original it's probably pretty wasted at 200k miles. I'm in Maine until saturday so I will think on it for a little while.
Old 07-27-2015, 11:09 AM
CF Veteran

Received 226 Likes on 176 Posts
Model: Cherokee (XJ)
Engine: 4.0 L

Originally Posted by BVXJ
The clutch is one thing I'm kinda worried about, if it's original it's probably pretty wasted at 200k miles. I'm in Maine until saturday so I will think on it for a little while.
Just know that you're going to end up putting much more than $1,200 into after you buy it. It might not be in the first week or month, but you will.
Old 07-27-2015, 11:18 AM

they are a little harder to find nowadays, but not rare. The only thing that really would deter me there is the rust, I have spent countless hours fixing it, cutting pieces off and putting patches back on. I intent to drive it as long as it is not unsafe, meaning structural rust in the important bracketry. I bought mine on ebay a bunch of years ago because I was looking for a 5sp. Only thing about them that blows is the gearing.

anyway for 1200 your not gonna get much else.
Old 07-27-2015, 11:31 AM
CF Veteran

Received 39 Likes on 35 Posts

1200 is cheap. I bought my 99 5 speed for 500 bucks with 210k miles on it. Slight wrecked front end but fixable.
Old 07-28-2015, 12:53 AM
CF Veteran

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

If you can weld or have a friend that can buy it,If you can't skip it paying to have the floors fixed isn't cheap.

Quick Reply: Just how rare is a 5 speed 4.0 XJ, and am I getting a fair deal?