Cherokee Chat General non-tech Cherokee chat
XJ/MJ/ZJ/WJ
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

INNER manual shifter boot....replacement?

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-2016, 10:14 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1998
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0L
Default INNER manual shifter boot....replacement?

For the life of me I can't find a replacement for the INNER 5-speed shifter boot. Mine's eaten up after >300Km. Replacement options? Not happy relying on just the outer boot. That won't seal to the floor pan.
JW
Old 05-24-2016, 11:20 AM
CF Veteran

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Year: '98
Engine: 4.0 I6

Originally Posted by jawalter
For the life of me I can't find a replacement for the INNER 5-speed shifter boot. Mine's eaten up after >300Km. Replacement options? Not happy relying on just the outer boot. That won't seal to the floor pan.
JW
I have been looking for ages - the only option is to either find a used replacement or make your own

https://www.cherokeeforum.com/f51/sh...rebuild-28766/
Old 05-24-2016, 11:38 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 1997
Engine: 4.6 I6

Originally Posted by investinwaffles

I have been looking for ages - the only option is to either find a used replacement or make your own

https://www.cherokeeforum.com/f51/sh...rebuild-28766/
X2 on this. Mine is ripping a bit but still salvagable. Most junkyard ones are toast. I thought maybe a CV shaft boot might work well since it's for exterior applications.

https://www.google.com/search?q=univ...A9X2yALqxYawCQ
Old 05-24-2016, 01:35 PM
CF Veteran

Mine is ripped pretty bad. I gorilla taped it which lasted through last summer, but the tape gets so brittle when it is 12*F outside that it doesn't last through the winter.

I might try to "sew" it closed by poking holes and using Zip-Ties to lash it together, then going crazy with the RTV and seeing if it holds up.
Or i should just get off my **** and order the parts to rebuild the shifter anyways - mine is original and I am sure replacing it would improve the feel of the shifter

Cost is roughly $55 buying everything off Ebay, which is well worth the heat reduction in my case
Old 05-24-2016, 01:41 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 1997
Engine: 4.6 I6

Originally Posted by investinwaffles
Mine is ripped pretty bad. I gorilla taped it which lasted through last summer, but the tape gets so brittle when it is 12*F outside that it doesn't last through the winter.

I might try to "sew" it closed by poking holes and using Zip-Ties to lash it together, then going crazy with the RTV and seeing if it holds up.
Or i should just get off my **** and order the parts to rebuild the shifter anyways - mine is original and I am sure replacing it would improve the feel of the shifter

Cost is roughly $55 buying everything off Ebay, which is well worth the heat reduction in my case
Yeah heat pours around mine so my legs get warm in the summer. Thinking about adding extra insulation around the trans tunnel
Old 05-24-2016, 02:42 PM
CF Veteran

Received 250 Likes on 168 Posts
Year: 1999
Engine: 4.0

Same issue. I used Duct Tape. I plan on having to use more and more and more in the future.
Old 05-25-2016, 08:16 AM

Default Gave up...

Thanks for the info.
I finally gave up looking for an oem, or even an alternative oem for different application.
Shout out to Huntsville Rubber and Gasket in Huntsville, AL! I bought a piece of scrap epdm from them for $3 and cut, formed and glued it with Liquid Plumber.
As a side note, the hard shifts I was investigating look like they were caused by the shifter seat or shifter seal; the rubber gasket that the shifter tower sits on. It was totally trashed, pieces everywhere falling in the tranny and bound up in the shifter and linkage. I hope that fixes it....
Also changing fluids from GL-4 stuff to Royal Purple 10w40 - been reading a bit on that and it looks good.
>320K miles and still going!
JW
Old 05-25-2016, 08:20 AM

Originally Posted by shooptube
Yeah heat pours around mine so my legs get warm in the summer. Thinking about adding extra insulation around the trans tunnel
I've been driving mine while it's been disassembled. It's loud and hot!
As a temp fix I sealed the hole with a flat piece of a rubberized foam material I use as a gasket for other applications. Much quieter and no heat came through. I plan on leaving it in place even with the new shifter boot there.
JW
Old 05-25-2016, 01:54 PM
CF Veteran

What kind of foam are you using? I want to get something like a heat blanket or sorts to stuff around the shifter area to further insulate heat from the cabin.

Something like this might work well;
Amazon.com: Thermo-Tec 13575 12" X 24" Adhesive Backed Heat Barrier: Automotive Amazon.com: Thermo-Tec 13575 12" X 24" Adhesive Backed Heat Barrier: Automotive