Cherokee Chat General non-tech Cherokee chat
XJ/MJ/ZJ/WJ

I have a new contact with a Laser CNC Co.!!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-2016, 10:22 PM
Seasoned Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
Year: 1998
Model: Grand Cherokee
Engine: 5.9L 360 ci
Default I have a new contact with a Laser CNC Co.!!!!!

A customer of mine in Central Ohio, owns a major Custom Fabricator Laser Cut CNC business. They also have an office in South Carolina.

http://www.laserflex-inc.com/

I was speaking with the owners this morning about a previous project of a custom cut SS front grill with built in Fog Light mounts, and mentioned my recently acquired Jeep GC, and the community of enthusiast on here.

My initial inquiry was about a single skid plate, beadlocks or DIY/Finished bumper kit. They seemed open and welcome to the idea, but i dont think that they would create a "one-off" for anybody. Just as a favor to me.

THE GOOD NEWS....
So then i mention the idea of getting many of you interested in the right part/design, and a discounted group buy, and their eyes got really wide and smiled. "Ohh, of course we could give you a major discount on a group buy."

So why i'm posting. I need the help of the all too many experienced engineers, designers, and people with skills at ACCURATE and DETAILED 3D rendering.
Lets design a simple, cost effective, and very strong smash pad/skid plate for our Jeeps. Of course open to other parts. Check out their website. From laser flat cutting and tube cutting, to Manual and Robotic welding.

They can cut 1.25" Flat Carbon steel with surgical LASER precision.
Round Tube Diameter Capability: Minimum 1/2″; Maximum 8.625″
Square / Rectangle Tube Capability: Minimum 1/2″ x 1/2″; Maximum 8″ x 8″
Cutting Head Tilt to 45 degrees

and way too many services to list. If this interests you at all, just visit their website for S#!ts and giggles.

Now of course the other major problem we have in this Forum, are many different models and Frame bolt patterns. Hopefully the frames/subframes share similar shapes and angles. A couple of extra, unused bolt holes in a skidplate are no problem if it were designed to fit a couple different models.

For those select "GREATS" that have all the knowledge of Factory build specs, frame angles, etc... will be of the most help.

I'm sure more than one part group buy is possible if there are enough interested.

Hopefully many of you have interest in this idea, and I dont just look like an a$$hole!

To the Moderators...
Sorry if its in the wrong thread. This is all about "FABRICATION".

The actual group buy would happen in private.
Old 05-04-2016, 06:15 AM

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
Year: 1993
Engine: 4.0

So, you want people of this community to design a product, email it to you and have it mass produced?

1. That's a lot to ask.

2. That's a disaster waiting to happen. I could draw up about anything you wanted, as that's what I do for a living, but without R&D test fit, test products, etc... It would never work.

3. What's stopping me from doing the same thing locally? I have the same connections. My only current limitation is the size of the table. I can only make a single part that is not over 48".
Old 05-04-2016, 06:40 AM
CF Veteran

Received 39 Likes on 35 Posts
Year: 1999

It's in chat now
Old 05-04-2016, 06:45 AM
Seasoned Member

WOW Debbie Downer!

I dont remember asking for your negative comments. Only input from caring, interested members.

Also glad to know you have contacts with access to the greatest custom cutting process, EVER! And you couldnt help your fellow Jeepers?

That all im trying to do. Help myself and hopefully many other Jeepers, to get some quality built parts.

We could, hypothetically, get 20 sets of 4 "CHEROKEEFORUM" bead lockersfor less.

Anyways like I said. Nobody needs your pessimism.
Old 05-04-2016, 06:49 AM
Seasoned Member

Originally Posted by XJwonders
It's in chat now
Thanks
Old 05-04-2016, 07:00 AM

Originally Posted by IStoleIt
WOW Debbie Downer!

I dont remember asking for your negative comments. Only input from caring, interested members.

Also glad to know you have contacts with access to the greatest custom cutting process, EVER! And you couldnt help your fellow Jeepers?

That all im trying to do. Help myself and hopefully many other Jeepers, to get some quality built parts.

We could, hypothetically, get 20 sets of 4 "CHEROKEEFORUM" bead lockersfor less.

Anyways like I said. Nobody needs your pessimism.
So, none of my points are of concern to you? Even if you find someone willing to spend hours on a design for free... you aren't concerned with actual product research? It takes trial and error to build stuff like the skid plate.

Do you know why "Quality built parts" cost a lot of money? Because it takes a lot of time and effort to design these parts.

Also, it's not just me. Lots and lots of people have access to CNC laser/plasma/Water Jet tables for cheap. It's a pretty common thing these days. My guy cuts pretty much anything I want as long as I supply the steel and give him a few bucks for consumables.

No real sense in you getting all huffy puffy and defensive. Not my first rodeo.

You'd put "CHEROKEEFORUM" beadlocks on your Jeep? lol
Old 05-04-2016, 08:09 AM
Seasoned Member

I can build a functional, heavy duty skid plate, from a flat piece of steel with a hammer, a step-bit, and an Angle grinder. And have it done in an hour.

It wont be pretty, but it will deflect rocks and mud just fine.

As far as "quality built parts", i havent mentioned LCA's, UCA's, Track Bars or any kind of HD mounting bracket or recovery point.

As far as im concerned a 1/4 piece of steel is about as "quality" as a skid plate gets. And if some members dont think 1/4" is enough, they likely wouldnt buy it anyways. They're only looking for branding anyways.

So, your buddy will give YOU a great deal? That almost sounds exactly like something I said. Would your buddy make everyone parts, for just the cost of consumables? Probably not. Hes in the business of making money, not charity.

I personally wouldnt buy CherokeeForum beadlockers, because i have no intentions for beadlockers. It was a general term that applies to every reader on this post, rather than Grand Cherokee or ZJ. Since that what i drive. Makes sense for me, but not for those that dont have a ZJ.

Finally,

Youve got to be some bored lonely rodeo cowboy, if the best thing you can think to do, is troll someone trying to help the community.
Not everyone has a buddy with a CNC. Or robotic welding, laser tube cutting, press forming, etc. I just saw a great opportunity for some well built, simple, cost effective parts. That dont rely on testing and development, because there not "key" components to the vehicle.

For you to worry that im getting huffy and puffy, is hilarious. Were on an online forum. If there werent a$$holes to leave a rude/unhelpful comment after every genuine idea, they would have to charge for membership.

So i'll finish with saying thanks. To people like you that keep the standards just low enough to keep this resource free for all.
Old 05-04-2016, 08:27 AM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Model: Cherokee

I'm happy you're excited but Lowrange2 is right.

I design cherokee dash parts and there is a lot of design work and prototyping that goes into it before a design is ready for sale. No matter how much I measure and compare, the first one is NEVER right. I use a 3d printer for prototyping and my parts are small-ish, so my prototypes cost me like a dollar.

CNC laser cut steel prototypes would be significantly more expensive, and it sounds like you want to skip the prototyping process.

Here's my advice: Design your own, prototype it yourself, and then at the end you'll have a product you can sell to recoup your design and prototype costs. This is the greatest time in the history of the world to do something like that. You could probably even do a lot of prototyping work in plywood or acrylic to save costs.

It took me about 6 months from my first design idea until I had a product ready for sale. There are tons of free design programs (but make sure they don't have a noncommercial use only license) and they all have youtube channels to show you how to use it.
Old 05-04-2016, 08:45 AM
Seasoned Member

I would agree with you when it comes to dash parts. These are definitely something that could be done as well, but would need R&D.

But a mostly square skidplate, for the whole front end, or maybe even smaller like bolt on LCA skids, dont need alot of research and development. I could bolt a piece of cardboard to my frame, cut the necessary holes for clearances, and measure the angles. Then remove and measure the bolt pattern, and email that.

This is likely what im going to do this weekend. Then i'll "Post my idea" and see what others think of it. Hopefully the "Greats" on here would flex their brains and could easily design their own versions. Then possibly a group buy could be organized.

Im not trying to start a new 4x4 business, and sell retail. Just some professionally cut homebrew hunks of steel.
Old 05-04-2016, 08:52 AM

Originally Posted by IStoleIt
I can build a functional, heavy duty skid plate, from a flat piece of steel with a hammer, a step-bit, and an Angle grinder. And have it done in an hour.

It wont be pretty, but it will deflect rocks and mud just fine.

As far as "quality built parts", i havent mentioned LCA's, UCA's, Track Bars or any kind of HD mounting bracket or recovery point.

As far as im concerned a 1/4 piece of steel is about as "quality" as a skid plate gets. And if some members dont think 1/4" is enough, they likely wouldnt buy it anyways. They're only looking for branding anyways.

So, your buddy will give YOU a great deal? That almost sounds exactly like something I said. Would your buddy make everyone parts, for just the cost of consumables? Probably not. Hes in the business of making money, not charity.

I personally wouldnt buy CherokeeForum beadlockers, because i have no intentions for beadlockers. It was a general term that applies to every reader on this post, rather than Grand Cherokee or ZJ. Since that what i drive. Makes sense for me, but not for those that dont have a ZJ.

Finally,

Youve got to be some bored lonely rodeo cowboy, if the best thing you can think to do, is troll someone trying to help the community.
Not everyone has a buddy with a CNC. Or robotic welding, laser tube cutting, press forming, etc. I just saw a great opportunity for some well built, simple, cost effective parts. That dont rely on testing and development, because there not "key" components to the vehicle.

For you to worry that im getting huffy and puffy, is hilarious. Were on an online forum. If there werent a$$holes to leave a rude/unhelpful comment after every genuine idea, they would have to charge for membership.

So i'll finish with saying thanks. To people like you that keep the standards just low enough to keep this resource free for all.

You obviously live in a fairy-tale world where labor is free. You're missing my entire point.

They do charge for membership. If you'll notice, I've paid my dues.
Old 05-04-2016, 09:14 AM
Seasoned Member

Originally Posted by Lowrange2
You obviously live in a fairy-tale world where labor is free. You're missing my entire point.

They do charge for membership. If you'll notice, I've paid my dues.
And i believe in supporting a helpful and active community/forum. I will have my supporter badge and window sticker soon.

I dont live in a fairy tale. For those who spend their time designing would "profit" so to speak, from the discounted group buy.

And a 3D rendering and measurements, created by one of us, saves a lot of time and money for the CNC team.

Therefore, reflecting that savings toward our group buy. Their words, not mine.
Old 05-04-2016, 09:41 AM

Good luck. lol