Search this Thread

Old 11-29-2016, 08:39 AM
CF Veteran

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
Year: 1999
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0
Default Holster for Handgun Carry

These are of very high quality with lifetime warranty holsters. I bought my first one 4 yrs. ago for my WJ the CC model then bought 2 more one for the car and last for the XJ.

The one in my XJ replaced an open holster where the gun got a lot of dust and other crap on and in it, this one does not and you can't see a gun period because of the flap over it held by a magnet.

The reason I posted this is 2 fold the quality and a 20% discount with free shipping. They are not a cheap holster an in the state of MO. on 1/12017 anyone who can legally own a gun can CC one. I wonder a bit about that but it becomes a law no less.

Here is the link gumcreekcustoms.com
Old 11-29-2016, 09:54 AM
CF Veteran

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
Year: 1994
Model: Cherokee (XJ)

I have a similar setup in my truck but a kydex holster with a velcro backing. Dont remember the brand but it works out really well. Especially because IWB for any length of time in the car isnt the most comfortable.
Old 11-29-2016, 06:10 PM
::CF Moderator::

Received 1,524 Likes on 1,236 Posts
Year: 1990

I just wear mine all the time. LOL.

Check these out.

http://www.simplyrugged.com/ecommerc...407&parent=669
Old 11-29-2016, 06:24 PM
Moderator CF K9-unit

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Year: 2000 sport
Engine: New 4.0l from s&j engines

I CCW all the time.. I have a cheap holster I fell in love with. Easy draw fits nice when appendix carrying,, feels comfy down there..lol

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I like that one Cruiser posted.. I might pick that one up also. I have so many holsters for so many guns its sick.. I even have an old style Miami vice leather holster that fits any 9mm great.. holds it up tight under the armpit,, comfy driving around with it.

I dont like to leave my firearm in the Jeep.. To many yahoos out there.

When I have to open carry I use this holster.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Last edited by Dumajones; 11-30-2016 at 08:50 AM.
Old 11-29-2016, 06:57 PM
CF Veteran

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
Year: 1994

By far the best appendix carry IWB holster i've used is the G-Code Incog. Great design and the option to carry an additional mag.

They arent cheap but well worth it IMO.
Old 11-29-2016, 08:18 PM
CF Veteran

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts
Year: My Jeep is a GMC

There was one time I had contacted the county Sheriff about a burglary over at my farm. In speaking with the deputy I noticed he had no less than 3 Kimber pistols situated in various spots inside his vehicle as well as the 1 he carried on his belt.
I'm hesitant of having a holster mounted to the vehicle because if TSHTF and I have to make a hasty exit I might forget it on the way out. As well that long methodical ally oop over the steering wheel draw sweeping who knows what in the process bugs me too.
Clint Smith:
“Carrying a gun is not supposed to be comfortable; it’s supposed to be comforting. The gun that’s with you is better than the one that’s home in the safe.”
I think he's the one who was asked why he carries "such a big gun" (a 45) his reply was because they don't make a bigger one., lol
Of course it's situation dependent but I think I could do my best work outside the vehicle using the vehicle itself as cover.
But, I digress, here's a couple of neat carry holsters;

Uncle Mikes Kydex for on the belt open carry. Pistol is retained by tension via a slight bulge that pinches the front of the trigger guard.

Last edited by Turbo X_J; 11-29-2016 at 08:51 PM.
Old 11-30-2016, 11:22 AM
CF Veteran

I've used IWB holsters on the hip for over 40 yrs. but it does get a bit uncomfortable on long drives usually a .45 but its a bit large. So now I carry a Sig 938 9mm much smaller and either my .45 in the CC car holster or my old Glock mod.22.40 S&W with 2 extra clips on both sides of it handy to have 46 rounds very handy.

The draw from that holster is very smooth and easy to draw and fire quickly. Don't know how many of you fire a weapon from inside a car but it is a bit hard on the ears, quite hard in fact. My hearing is getting very bad worse in my left ear from muzzle blast to many times over the years. If you plan on practicing use hearing protection and have fun, I do but the hearing I started to late using them.
Old 11-30-2016, 12:23 PM
Moderator CF K9-unit

Originally Posted by Fred/N0AZZ
I've used IWB holsters on the hip for over 40 yrs. but it does get a bit uncomfortable on long drives usually a .45 but its a bit large. So now I carry a Sig 938 9mm much smaller and either my .45 in the CC car holster or my old Glock mod.22.40 S&W with 2 extra clips on both sides of it handy to have 46 rounds very handy.

The draw from that holster is very smooth and easy to draw and fire quickly. Don't know how many of you fire a weapon from inside a car but it is a bit hard on the ears, quite hard in fact. My hearing is getting very bad worse in my left ear from muzzle blast to many times over the years. If you plan on practicing use hearing protection and have fun, I do but the hearing I started to late using them.
I know what you mean by the sound from firing a weapon inside a car.. Sometime back I took a short class on transition areas from a car and blind spots and just all around things to lookout for.. One of the class tests was firing a .45, .40 and 9mm from the driver seat of a old beat up car.. It was more for the purpose of doing it and feeling it. No ear plugs had to act like it was real world,, we don't walk around with ear plugs all the time..lol That class was the one I learned that appendix carry works well for me. I can drop down to my right side in a duck for cover position and still be able to pull my firearm with ease. Its not easy to get the firearm if you are covering it with your body ducking inside a car. (Right hand draw)

This is my other fav for appendix carry, nice smooth draw and feels solid but still moves, kinda bends with you. But if you sweat a lot don't get this one.. it will soak up all the sweat and stink.. Maybe that's why leather is the way to go if you in waistband carry.. But I still like it.
https://www.discountsporting.com/ind...FRVrfgoddPEN8Q

And yes man it was loud cause of the closed space. I noticed I blinked more after every shot then I would if outside of the car.. It was like you feel double the impact as the sound/shock waves bounced around.. It was fun and cool but yes my ears rang for the whole day after.

Last edited by Dumajones; 11-30-2016 at 12:53 PM.
Old 12-01-2016, 11:30 AM
CF Veteran

Duma I have bought many of his holsters over the years most being leather.

My serious hearing loss began at age 20 when I bought my first model 29 S&W a 4" one not being able to find an 8 3/8". It was the first large bore I ever fired out the window using hot hand loads to boot. That shot left a ringing in my ears that has never stopped, young and dumb.

I still fire one handgun a lot out of the window a Rem. XP100 in .221 Rem. Fireball my varmint gun 12" Bbl. single shot bolt action, bought it in 1968.
Old 12-01-2016, 11:40 AM
Moderator CF K9-unit

Originally Posted by Fred/N0AZZ
Duma I have bought many of his holsters over the years most being leather.

My serious hearing loss began at age 20 when I bought my first model 29 S&W a 4" one not being able to find an 8 3/8". It was the first large bore I ever fired out the window using hot hand loads to boot. That shot left a ringing in my ears that has never stopped, young and dumb.

I still fire one handgun a lot out of the window a Rem. XP100 in .221 Rem. Fireball my varmint gun 12" Bbl. single shot bolt action, bought it in 1968.
Give me a break,,you lost your hearing at the track...lol jk

Too many stupid Turbos with high pitched whistles...
Old 12-01-2016, 03:30 PM
CF Veteran

That helped it along also we never wore them while racing, thought the helmet was good enough.
Old 12-01-2016, 10:42 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I once failed to get the muzzle of a 22-250 fully outside the window of the truck when shooting at a coyote. No way I will ever volunteer to fire a handgun with the muzzle inside the vehicle. Still no comparison to firing a Barrett M82 though.

In TX, it's legal to have a long gun in plain view in the vehicle. Handguns must be concealed(unless the law has changed again since OC passed). It might be possible to mount a concealed holster somewhere(in an XJ), but then it's probably not easy to get to and that defeats the purpose. I'd rather toss a locked and loaded AK/AR/Mosin/whatever up on the dash and keep the handgun tucked away.
Old 12-02-2016, 09:09 AM
CF Veteran

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by machinisttx
I once failed to get the muzzle of a 22-250 fully outside the window of the truck when shooting at a coyote. No way I will ever volunteer to fire a handgun with the muzzle inside the vehicle. Still no comparison to firing a Barrett M82 though.

In TX, it's legal to have a long gun in plain view in the vehicle. Handguns must be concealed(unless the law has changed again since OC passed). It might be possible to mount a concealed holster somewhere(in an XJ), but then it's probably not easy to get to and that defeats the purpose. I'd rather toss a locked and loaded AK/AR/Mosin/whatever up on the dash and keep the handgun tucked away.
Gangster wars over here. On the dash? Dang haha