Help please! Need rivets for hood bellkamp

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-2014, 12:03 PM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Year: 2001
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0 liter 242 CI
Default Help please! Need rivets for hood bellkamp

Rivets gave out on my 2001 XJ Sport. Old rivets had a wide flange and a diameter of just about 1/4 inch. Spent the good part of an afternoon visiting a few auto parts stores looking for rivets. Good thing it was a nice day for a drive. I could not find rivets with a wide flange and 1/4 inch diameter. Ordered them from the local Jeep service center. The rivets I got from Jeep were 3/16 in. diameter and ended up not being wide enough to hold the bellkamp to the hood. I can't go back to them because they are closed on Saturday. This has been very frustrating!
My neighbor suggested using the rivets used to stop window regulators. Went to a NAPA store and tried that but those rivets are too wide.

Where can I get suitable replacement rivets?

Thanks in advance for your help,
Matt

Last edited by MXDNJSport; 10-25-2014 at 12:07 PM.
Old 10-25-2014, 09:14 PM
CF Veteran

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

If you can get behide it just use a bolt and nut.A lot of time rivets are used to speed up the manufacturing time.
Old 10-26-2014, 06:36 AM
CF Veteran

Received 82 Likes on 67 Posts
Year: 1999
Engine: 4.0

Originally Posted by MXDNJSport
Rivets gave out on my 2001 XJ Sport. Old rivets had a wide flange and a diameter of just about 1/4 inch. Spent the good part of an afternoon visiting a few auto parts stores looking for rivets. Good thing it was a nice day for a drive. I could not find rivets with a wide flange and 1/4 inch diameter. Ordered them from the local Jeep service center. The rivets I got from Jeep were 3/16 in. diameter and ended up not being wide enough to hold the bellkamp to the hood. I can't go back to them because they are closed on Saturday. This has been very frustrating!
My neighbor suggested using the rivets used to stop window regulators. Went to a NAPA store and tried that but those rivets are too wide.

Where can I get suitable replacement rivets?

Thanks in advance for your help,
Matt
If you are talking about the two rivets that hold the hood release Bellcrank to the hood, I got mine from Fastenal.

Klik-Lok SB86KL, Fastenal part number 1141507. I had to buy a minimum of 10.

https://www.fastenal.com/web/product...VendingMachine=

Luckily my neighbor had a giant rivet puller to use otherwise I would never got them installed.

Edit: Drill holes for rivets 17/64" (.2656).
Old 10-26-2014, 09:46 PM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Year: 2001
Engine: 4.0 liter 242 CI
Red face

Thanks for the replies Andrew and CC. After all that running around, I went with the rivets I purchased from the dealership. The first lesson I learned was that they don't make things like they used to. I was looking for rivets with a flange as large as the ones that failed after 14 years.

The second lesson was that I was comparing the 3/16 inch diameter rivets to the holes in the bellcrank only. The holes in the bellcrank are probably 1/4 inch. The holes in the hood are closer to 3/16 and the rivet: so they should hold.

I too visited the Fastnel website. They have great info on rivets. I must have been on the business to business side because they were selling 250 rivets in a package.

If you don't want to modify like CCKen did, then rivets with 3/16 inch diameter, a wide flange and a grip range of 0.126 to 0.250 should hold the bellcrank. I also needed to borrow a two handed rivet puller from my neighbor to set the rivets.

Hopefully, (an old coach once said that is not a good strategy) the rivets will hold. I added grease to the latches and the pivot of the bellcrank to help minimize the tension.

Old rivet compared to the new ones