Cherokee Chat General non-tech Cherokee chat
XJ/MJ/ZJ/WJ

Has your Cherokee ever left you stranded on the ROAD?

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-2009, 10:53 AM
CF Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Year: 1995
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0
Default Has your Cherokee ever left you stranded on the ROAD?

If so, what broke, what's your story?
Old 09-26-2009, 12:27 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 1997
Engine: Used engine just put in less than 79kmiles onit jeepersCreepers 60mm TB, '99-'01 intake, BorlaHeader

At 231,000 miles had radiator leak, engine overheated, cracked the head, but now I have a new engine with some awesome mods.
Old 09-26-2009, 01:07 PM
CF Veteran

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

only 2 times i was "stranded"

rear wheel bearing exploded. all parts stores were closed, otherwise i would have been able to replace it.

rear ring gear teeth stripped

there have been a few times i was able to limp it to a parts store and fix it in the parking lot or fix it using spare parts i had in the jeep.
Old 09-26-2009, 03:09 PM

Year: 95
Engine: stock

yep trans let go on the beginning of last years xmas holidays..100 kph, and bang , smoke and oil every where, was hard to pull up with trans oil all over front brakes..700 + round trip home with it on a trailer...on a plus note i can swap trans in a xj now..... you can see oil on the ground in this pic..still had a good holiday but
Old 09-26-2009, 03:47 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1997

I had a front caliper sieze on solid.

As luck would have it, I had a spare in the trunk, along with spare brake pads. What I didnt have were any tools

Quick phonecall to the nearest "Rockznrutz" (Jeep club, here in the UK) member, and he was with me within half an hour, complete with full tool kit
Old 09-26-2009, 04:37 PM

Year: 98
Engine: 4.0L

Broke down on way home from work had it towed no spark from coil long story short replaced computer with a remanufactured.
Old 09-26-2009, 11:38 PM
G_P

Year: 1993
Engine: 4.0 H.O

218,000 miles when all the control arm mounts and spring perch finally rotted off my front axle on the pass side. The axle slid back until the tire hit the inner fenderwell and I managed to slide and bounce off the road. luckily no damage other that the toasted axle. I was able to get a new D30 from an XJ with less than 2000 miles on it for 300 bucks and was good to go.

Funny thing is that the drivers side mounts looked great sitll had original paint on them. Other than that she has never let me down.
Old 09-26-2009, 11:41 PM
Registered Users

Year: 1998

15 times in a month on the old 94, combination transfer case was going bad, cps was needing replaced, overheating, you name it. Always calling up buddies to pull me home, last time my buddy in his xj pushed me off the side of the road and thats when the BUILD began.
Old 09-27-2009, 08:16 AM
Registered Users

Year: 91 with lots of 01' parts
Engine: 01' 4.0L

back when i was 16 i knew nothing of the dreaded death wobble. i went wheeling with some friends, lefthand canyon in boulder colo, and on the way home i felt something kinda wierd in my steering. got on the highway and started truckin. first bump i hit, bam, super bad death wobble. i freaked out and pulled over. checked everything out, looked all good, and continued on. instantly, dw again, only this time my friend called on my cell and said there was sparks shooting out from undernieth my jeep. freaked me out. pulled over and inspected it again. found that when i did my alignment i had the tie rod clamp bolts facing upward. when i was wheeling, everytime i flexed it gouged a huge hole in my steering stabilizer. when it would dw, the bolt was slamming into the stabilizer causing the spark show. had 60 more miles to drive home, and wasnt gonna do so under 30 mph. had to have it towed home....boooooo!!!

the next week went and hit the same trail. my buddy blew a bead and put his spare on. we were at pretty much the same spot i was towed from when i saw him jerk off the road. wondering to myself, he must have dropped something here last time....nope, as soon as he came to a stop the spare tire fell off. could have been death!!!! so now we take a different route to this wheeling spot, cause that one is apparently cursed!!!
Old 09-27-2009, 09:41 AM
CF Veteran

Year: 1995

Yep @ 3 am the transfer case EXPLODED on 65 north headed to Lousiville, ky to go back to work.
Old 09-27-2009, 01:07 PM
CF Veteran

Year: 1999
Engine: l6 4.0, K&N FIPK & 62mm bored TB

In over 8 years of ownership my XJ has never left me stranded on the road, has always got me home.

I've had heater hose break a few blocks from home; flat tire; broken sway bar disco; bad NSS (I think); death wobble; shredded serp belts (went through 5 belts in about 2 weeks); broken pinion gear; drive shaft fell out; lost 4 nuts off 1 wheel ... blah, blah, blah, lots more stuff. I am proud to day she brought me to the door after each each time, whether it happened on the trail or on the road.

I love my Jeep.
Old 09-27-2009, 03:15 PM
CF Veteran

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

It over heated just a few miles from the previous owners house the day I bought it. It had been sitting for a few years and the rust and scale that had built up in the block broke loose and clogged up the water jackets in the head. Took me 3.5 hours to make a 45 minutes trip to get it all the way home. That was after I pulled the tstat out and was running the heat full blast in the middle of summer. Replaced the head gasket and virtually everything associated with the cooling system including an upgrade to a 3 row radiator.

Also lost the left front wheel at 50mph that was a result of loose lug nuts. Crushed the fender, sheared off all five studs, ground 1/2 inch off the rotor as it slid on the pavement. Had to replace the hub assembly and brake rotor.
Old 09-27-2009, 04:04 PM

what exactly is death wobble?

i am lucky to say that my jeep has never let up on us. we've had to replace the radiator and serpentine belt. other than that she's always ran fine always got us home. even when a certain family member tried to do a tune up and got the firing order wrong, she kept on truckin while tryin to get it back to the house to be fixed...again lol.
Old 09-27-2009, 04:17 PM

Year: 2000
Engine: 4.0 inline 6

never had the battery die on me in a parking lot but it was my dumb fault for not turning off lights so no not really
Old 09-27-2009, 07:56 PM
CF Veteran

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Year: 1987
Model: Comanche
Engine: I6 4.0L

Well I've never been stranded. but I have a couple storys.

1) Was about 20 miles away from home when my buddy and I noticed a burning smell. pulled over looked all over and nothing. Kept driving till I got in my neighborhood and she started tracking to the right. Found out the caliber was slowly seizing. got it in front of the house and it finally closed all the way and the XJ was stranded in front of the house. My neighbors came outside wondering why my POS jeep was stuck in the middle of the intersection. As we talked the rotor had gotten so hot that it caught the Tie rod end grease fitting on fire....

2) My camshaft position sensor/oil pump driveshaft let go after driving her all day. It finally went as I pulled it into the garage.

Quick Reply: Has your Cherokee ever left you stranded on the ROAD?