Finbar Jeep

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-2016, 10:11 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1997
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0L I6
Question Finbar Jeep

I have a '97 XJ that has a bad leaf spring on the back drivers side(from others opinions it looks to have been overloaded, broke, or bulged) that i need to replace. The passenger side seems to be in good shape as far as not being broken or anything but is flat. I also have a "parts" jeep that matches it in all but interior packages as far as i have looked into it(not gonna lie its been at a buddy's house since i got it so i haven't really looked at it a whole lot) that has leaf springs that appear to not have any major issues but are flat as well. I was reading in another forum that springs could be re-stacked and possibly get some more life out of them. Is this worth it on a tight budget to keep it on the road for the foreseeable future to use for light off-roading/ daily driver? Would it be worth it to go towards a 3-3.5" lift and entirely replace the springs?
Old 05-21-2016, 10:16 PM
CF Veteran

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

I would just replace the broken leaf pack with the one from the parts jeep,Or spend a few bucks and get a pair of stock height replacements.
Old 05-21-2016, 10:24 PM

Originally Posted by andrewmp6
I would just replace the broken leaf pack with the one from the parts jeep,Or spend a few bucks and get a pair of stock height replacements.
where would be an easy place to find stock height replacements?
Old 05-21-2016, 10:42 PM
CF Veteran

Localy any auto parts store online anywhere really.
Old 05-26-2016, 11:48 AM

Default update

I have gotten under both jeeps and have found my primary jeep broke a u bolt and the parts jeep has better leafs but still kinda flat. Question being do i only replace the one u bolt or should i replace both on that side or all four? also i was given a suggestion to take the second or third leaf out of the primary jeep and put it with the parts jeep leafs to get by for now.... any input on this?
Old 05-27-2016, 01:13 AM
CF Veteran

I have been told never to reuse ubolts but i always have,If your tight on money use the flat leafs you have replace the broken ubolt and maybe get two load leveler kits from the auto parts store.A load leveler kit is a fancy name for add a leaf it will give you 1 inch lift and should last a while.
Old 05-27-2016, 10:00 AM

I have been told never to reuse ubolts but i always have,If your tight on money use the flat leafs you have replace the broken ubolt and maybe get two load leveler kits from the auto parts store.A load leveler kit is a fancy name for add a leaf it will give you 1 inch lift and should last a while.
Any reason I couldn't use the second or third leaf out of the primary leaf packs?
Old 05-28-2016, 07:31 AM
CF Veteran

Add a leaf is faster to install then opening up a set of leaf packs taking them apart and adding that leaf to your good set.
Old 05-28-2016, 09:05 AM

Received 28 Likes on 23 Posts
Engine: 4.0

Helper leaf is faster to install then opening up a set of leaf packs taking them apart and adding that leaf to your good set.

Fixed.

OP no there isn't any harm if you want to combine the leaf packs. As long as you have the tools/time it isn't a terrible way to go. A lot of us use or have used bastard packs to get us by.
Old 05-28-2016, 12:30 PM

Originally Posted by Tsaani97xj
Fixed.

OP no there isn't any harm if you want to combine the leaf packs. As long as you have the tools/time it isn't a terrible way to go. A lot of us use or have used bastard packs to get us by.
Thanks... I've been having issues finding part stores that carry jeep parts in stock.... They all need a week or more to try and order them in.... Even just stock springs
Old 05-29-2016, 02:16 AM
CF Veteran

Worse case you could order stuff off rockauto or even amazon.
Old 05-29-2016, 08:35 AM

Year: 1988
Engine: 1991 I6 4.0 HO

Worse case you could order stuff off rockauto or even amazon.
RockAuto.com is a great way to go in my opinion, if you have the money.
Old 06-01-2016, 07:53 PM

ive been looking at kits on autoanything for lifts but money is tight now which is why im trying to run bastard packs for a little bit(or atleast till finances get better).

UPDATE: I have been able to break free one nut on the good packs and the nuts for U bolts from the same pack, when trying to do the same thing for the other side my 3/8" breaker bar/cheater bar set up broke(its what i had at the time and i've learned why i shouldn't do that for next time). Question being i have a 1/2" breaker bar on the way, i own a impact drill(it doesnt really fit in the space) and i own an air impact drill.... what should work, what has worked for anyone in the past? The nuts/bolts on the packs are either a 21mm or a 7/8". Fronts of the packs are just a bolt threaded into the frame while the backs are nuts and bolts.
Old 06-01-2016, 08:34 PM

Received 28 Likes on 23 Posts
Engine: 4.0

You can leave the main leaf attached to the one you're building the pack on. Cut the eyes off the other pack and bolt it under the main leaf and see what you get. The main downside to bastard packs is there is no reliable way to know what you'll end up with. It is trial and error. Took me about four tries to get it where I was satisfied.

If that doesn't get you the height you want mix in some other leafs.

You should also get new center bolts and ubolts for this.
Old 06-01-2016, 09:37 PM

Originally Posted by Tsaani97xj
You can leave the main leaf attached to the one you're building the pack on. Cut the eyes off the other pack and bolt it under the main leaf and see what you get. The main downside to bastard packs is there is no reliable way to know what you'll end up with. It is trial and error. Took me about four tries to get it where I was satisfied.

If that doesn't get you the height you want mix in some other leafs.

You should also get new center bolts and ubolts for this.
Already know the plan of what I'm trying to do.... Main jeep needs all new leaf packs(top leaf on drivers side is cracked presumably) I just need ideas or expierences on getting the bolts removed as if I were going to do a lift or putting new stock leaf springs back on.

Quick Reply: Finbar Jeep