Dream XJ bugout rig ideas?

Old 05-15-2016, 10:33 PM
CF Veteran

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Year: 1992
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0L H.O.
Default Dream XJ bugout rig ideas?

My XJ is slowly going to head toward being both a DD and a SHTF bugmobile. So let's tap the proverbial brain trust!

From custom storage, to what you feel are must-have items in your rig... What would be included in your XJ for a 72hr bugout?

Jeep itself;
1) Roofrack w/ spare, tools, recovery gear, camo net.
2) Side or tailgate mounts for gascans.
3) CB radio, dual battery setup, cutoff switch for all external lighting.

Stuff!
1) Energy bars, jerky, coffee, and water for 3days.
2) Toiletry bag w/ tissue, toothbrush, wetwipes, deodorant, etc.
3) Firearm trio, plenty of ammo for each.
4) Ax, shovel, hatchet, tent, bedroll, camp stove.
5) Road and topographic maps, playing cards, a good book.
6) Extra socks & drawers.

Plenty I'm sure I'm forgetting, but that's a good start!
Old 05-15-2016, 11:37 PM
CF Veteran

Received 39 Likes on 35 Posts
Year: 1999
Engine: 4.0

I'm normally against a roof rack for a DD but for weekend camping trips/excursions, I think it may provide the space to stow stuff. Depending on the terrain also. It won't be a very good idea if u go traveling in densely forested areas.
Old 05-16-2016, 01:22 AM
CF Veteran

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

As a bug out its not a good idea a emp would fry the ecu on it.Its best to have a diesel with a stick worse case if the starter gets fried you can push start it aka pop the clutch.And fuel will be easier since a diesel can run on kerosene,jet fuel or you can ghetto rig up biodiesel with used cooking oil some lye and heet.Yes i have put a lot of thought in to this before.But if im leaving my house its for good not leave and come back tho.
Old 05-16-2016, 02:42 AM
CF Veteran

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Year: 91

subd
Old 05-16-2016, 05:43 AM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by andrewmp6
As a bug out its not a good idea a emp would fry the ecu on it.Its best to have a diesel with a stick worse case if the starter gets fried you can push start it aka pop the clutch.And fuel will be easier since a diesel can run on kerosene,jet fuel or you can ghetto rig up biodiesel with used cooking oil some lye and heet.Yes i have put a lot of thought in to this before.But if im leaving my house its for good not leave and come back tho.
what's EMP?
Old 05-16-2016, 06:01 AM
CF Veteran

Received 250 Likes on 168 Posts

Electro magnetic pulse.
Old 05-16-2016, 06:30 AM
Beach Bum

Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts
Year: 2000 WJ
Model: Grand Cherokee

I have been told that my rig looks like a bugout vehicle.
It is self sufficient to an extent. Cooking ability, potable and non-potable water, self extraction equipment, storage, food stash, tools, and much more. But no weapons (other than knives and a hi-lift handle), living within a National Park there are special rules regarding firearms. Daily driver.
Attached Thumbnails Dream XJ bugout rig ideas?-dsc05014.jpg   Dream XJ bugout rig ideas?-dsc03011.jpg   Dream XJ bugout rig ideas?-dsc04750.jpg  
Old 05-16-2016, 06:38 AM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by SteveMongr
I have been told that my rig looks like a bugout vehicle. It is self sufficient to an extent. Cooking ability, potable and non-potable water, self extraction equipment, storage, food stash, tools, and much more. But no weapons (other than knives and a hi-lift handle), living within a National Park there are special rules regarding firearms. Daily driver.
I have personally rode in this jeep. I ll vouch for its capabilities. There's nothing like going 40 mph across whoops and catching air then sitting down for a lunch like nothing happened.
Old 05-16-2016, 07:03 AM
Beach Bum

Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts
Year: 2000 WJ
Model: Grand Cherokee

^ Lol. Even lunch is a bugout experience, or at least an adventure picnic.

I believe a diesel Suburban would make an ideal bugout vehicle due to its size and price and because it is so common that parts are available everywhere.
Attached Thumbnails Dream XJ bugout rig ideas?-dsc04166.jpg   Dream XJ bugout rig ideas?-4.jpg  

Last edited by SteveMongr; 05-16-2016 at 07:17 AM.
Old 05-16-2016, 07:18 AM
CF Veteran

A emp will kill anything electronics unless its stuck in side a faraday cage.Only gas powered cars that would live through a emp is something like a model t,Hand crank start and a magneto,Some old harleys 60s back would live also.
Old 05-16-2016, 07:39 AM
CF Veteran

@Andrew
I've thought of that, an emp is just one of a countless list of problems that could lead to a need to bug out. I have a spare ecu, and will eventually gather all spare ignition components, and store them in a shielded box JIC.

The roof rack will likely be at the shop(a mile from home) on a pulley rig, can't stand em on a DD either. Also where I'll keep most of the other gear. Lol, I don't live in fear, just like being prepared, not hauling all this **** around every day! Just a bare bones boogie bag in case I can't get to the shop.

I don't plan to go back either. Worst case, all roads useless, I figure 72hrs overland to reach 2nd location. No dense forests to tangle the roofrack, lol, I'm in S Texas.
Old 05-16-2016, 08:42 AM
CF Veteran

If the emp is strong enough it could pop every fuse and relay but thats if you live through that.
Old 05-16-2016, 10:31 AM
CF Veteran

No one can be prepared for EVERY possible scenario.

I'm in excellent shape, don't smoke or drink, i eat healthy. If it comes down to hoofing it on foot so be it.
Old 05-16-2016, 12:20 PM
CF Veteran

When we built our house in 1992 it was built to withstand an EF-5 Tornado among other things as we never knew what time would bring in the future and if the need to shelter in place would be desirable. Its a raised ranch walkout basement and one room a 30x30' in the basement has 18" concrete walls, ceiling and a built-in faraday cage where all out electronics are stored. Generator, ham radio gear misc. other items with a secure door.

We keep items in our cars and trucks to get us home if we are away so fewer items are needed in most, the XJ is fully equipped for it all lol.

This is not the best way as no on can withstand a full on assault from a military type armed force with anti tank weapons and such you must remain mobile to fight another day. But when age comes into play you must make your stand and for them to remember you were there at the end of the day when they bury their dead.
Old 05-19-2016, 10:59 PM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by SteveMongr
I have been told that my rig looks like a bugout vehicle.
It is self sufficient to an extent. Cooking ability, potable and non-potable water, self extraction equipment, storage, food stash, tools, and much more. But no weapons (other than knives and a hi-lift handle), living within a National Park there are special rules regarding firearms. Daily driver.
I love it, that is a sweet setup Steve.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Dream XJ bugout rig ideas?