Sponsored by: DashLynx

Big wheels

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2017, 11:10 PM
BDW

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default Big wheels

I am new to this forum, so my question may have been previously addressed. I have a stock 1998 XJ that I have owned for about six years. Other than regular maintenance, no modifications have been made to it. I have moved to a very rural area and have to drive some seriously under-maintained dirt roads in the hills of north eastern WV. My question is can I install larger wheels and tires to give me more ground clearance without putting in a lift kit? If so, what is the largest set I can go with?
Old 01-18-2017, 11:21 PM
THE Admin

Received 231 Likes on 187 Posts
Year: 1996
Model: Cherokee (XJ)
Engine: 4.Slow

Originally Posted by BDW
I am new to this forum, so my question may have been previously addressed. I have a stock 1998 XJ that I have owned for about six years. Other than regular maintenance, no modifications have been made to it. I have moved to a very rural area and have to drive some seriously under-maintained dirt roads in the hills of north eastern WV. My question is can I install larger wheels and tires to give me more ground clearance without putting in a lift kit? If so, what is the largest set I can go with?
Welcome fellow mountaineer. Your best bet is just a good set of 235/75r15's without any lift. A lot will say squeeze 31's but I k ow those roads and you will rub with them. If you need a little extra clearance but dont want a big lift, look into whats called a budget boost kit. This will give you an extra 2" without major modification to your suspension.
Old 01-18-2017, 11:29 PM
BDW

Thanks. My stock wheels are getting rusty and pitted, so I was looking into a package deal from Quadratech. I've read that for larger wheels, you may have to cut out some sheet metal from the wheel wells to prevent rubbing. If I do that, can I avoid a lift kit? I've heard mixed reviews about doing that to a daily driver that also sees considerable highway time.
Old 01-18-2017, 11:35 PM
THE Admin

Originally Posted by BDW
Thanks. My stock wheels are getting rusty and pitted, so I was looking into a package deal from Quadratech. I've read that for larger wheels, you may have to cut out some sheet metal from the wheel wells to prevent rubbing. If I do that, can I avoid a lift kit? I've heard mixed reviews about doing that to a daily driver that also sees considerable highway time.
You're welcome. Yes, if you dont mind some trimming, you can buy a set of flat flares or cut-out flares from Napier Precision or Bushwacker (I'd choose Napier due to durability and a better price) and you will then be able to squeeze some 31's (majority of which actually measure out to 30" on avg) on there. For every inch of tire size you increase, you gain 1/2" of ground clearance.
Old 01-18-2017, 11:41 PM
THE Admin

As you can see, this is how much room you have with 31's and no lift. But with a good set of cut-out fender flares (I believe WV requires flares), you will have no problem clearing these.
Attached Thumbnails Big wheels-31swithnolift.jpg   Big wheels-4-25-10mudding001.jpg  
Old 01-19-2017, 07:36 AM
CF Veteran

Received 298 Likes on 253 Posts
Year: '96

Like OS said get a good set of 235/75-15's. Getting a set of good A/T tires,a good set of mono tube shocks,losing the rear sway bar if you have one,and getting a set of quick disconnects for the front one will work fine on those roads. Travel them myself. Watch going with too tall of a tire on stock gears also.
Old 01-19-2017, 02:22 PM
BDW

Thanks for the info. Why remove the sway bar though? I haven't ever done any repair work on the suspension, aside from replacing shocks. I had an issue with "death wobble" a couple of months ago, so now I'm more familiar with the components of the front suspension, but not the rear.
Old 01-19-2017, 05:30 PM
CF Veteran

Received 298 Likes on 253 Posts
Year: '96

Sway bars limit suspension travel. Some XJ's didn't even come with a rear one so no concern in losing it if you have one. The front one I have a quick disconnect set up on. I found with it disconnected I get a smoother ride and better handling on the wash board/rutted roads we have or when traveling off road. Most of the time it's disconnected. I hook it up ANYTIME I'm towing or traveling on high speed interstates. Two things though. One is if the suspension components are shot body sway/leaning can be an issue w/o the front one hooked up. And two only you can decide if you like the way it handles unhooked.