XJ/MJ/ZJ/WJ

BFG A/T's - Super Fast Tread Wear!

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-2011, 10:22 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 2000
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0 I6
Default BFG A/T's - Super Fast Tread Wear!

Ugh, guys. I spent over $800 on these BFGoodrich All Terrain's about 4 months ago -I think 5,000 miles ago - and I've already lost 1/4 of the total tread... I thought these tires were supposed to wear well!?

I had heard many people saying they'd last upwards of 45k miles, which would mean I wouldn't need to replace them for a few years... at this rate, though, I'll need some new tires in a little over a year...

I thought it was an allignment issue, but all four tires are wearing evenly.
Old 01-31-2011, 10:27 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1990
Engine: 4.o

I have a friend that has those on his truck and they are doing the same thing wearing evenly also.
Old 01-31-2011, 10:47 PM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by Mihogan
Ugh, guys. I spent over $800 on these BFGoodrich All Terrain's about 4 months ago -I think 5,000 miles ago - and I've already lost 1/4 of the total tread... I thought these tires were supposed to wear well!?

I had heard many people saying they'd last upwards of 45k miles, which would mean I wouldn't need to replace them for a few years... at this rate, though, I'll need some new tires in a little over a year...

I thought it was an allignment issue, but all four tires are wearing evenly.
Whats your tire pressure at? Low tire pressure will cause you to chew through tires.

BFGs typically last a LOOOONG time, however it is very possible that they changed the rubber compound to something that is softer and grabs the road/obstacles better.

Originally Posted by iheartmyxj
I have a friend that has those on his truck and they are doing the same thing wearing evenly also.
No comparison between a 5Klb+ truck and a 3.5K XJ.

if its a big heavy 3/4 or 1ton truck, those things EAT tires.

There's a reason people get 22.5s for them and use tractor trailer tires.
Old 01-31-2011, 10:56 PM

Originally Posted by ZachsXJ
Whats your tire pressure at? Low tire pressure will cause you to chew through tires.

BFGs typically last a LOOOONG time, however it is very possible that they changed the rubber compound to something that is softer and grabs the road/obstacles better.

No comparison between a 5Klb+ truck and a 3.5K XJ.

if its a big heavy 3/4 or 1ton truck, those things EAT tires.

There's a reason people get 22.5s for them and use tractor trailer tires.
Well, I usually keep my tire pressure at 37 PSI during the winter - is that too low??
Old 01-31-2011, 11:02 PM
CF Veteran

Well, I usually keep my tire pressure at 37 PSI during the winter - is that too low??
That should be perfect.

Are you sure you've lost as much tread depth as you claim?

Also, what size tires did you get?
Old 01-31-2011, 11:06 PM

My bfg's have generally lasted quite a while. Rotating them really helps. But if your really going around alot of curvy roads with some speed, they will wear pretty quick, they are a fairly soft tire.

If you do really easy driving on the highway, then ya, you could get 45k out of them, but that's a pretty good stretch. Mine usually go about 3 years and about 15-20k. I've burned some other tires up in less than 9k.
Old 01-31-2011, 11:12 PM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by TheDale
My bfg's have generally lasted quite a while. Rotating them really helps. But if your really going around alot of curvy roads with some speed, they will wear pretty quick, they are a fairly soft tire.

If you do really easy driving on the highway, then ya, you could get 45k out of them, but that's a pretty good stretch. Mine usually go about 3 years and about 15-20k. I've burned some other tires up in less than 9k.
Wow that fast? I have maxxis Bighorns on the front of my XJ now, they had about 75% tread life when I bought them and they're almost dead now 20,000 miles later.

I haven't exactly been nice to them either.
Old 01-31-2011, 11:22 PM

Yes, I looked up online and the 235/75/15 BFG AT's come with half an inch - or 4/8th's - of tread. I have 3/8's of tread on it now.

And I guess I am a bit rough on them... I take fast turns, jack rabbit starts, a lot of sliding in snowy ground...
Old 01-31-2011, 11:32 PM
CF Veteran

Yes, I looked up online and the 235/75/15 BFG AT's come with half an inch - or 4/8th's - of tread. I have 3/8's of tread on it now.

And I guess I am a bit rough on them... I take fast turns, jack rabbit starts, a lot of sliding in snowy ground...
haha, thats probably your problem.

Go easier on them and you'll probably get a lot more life out of them.

Also why did you pay $200/tire for BFG ATs?

Even if you throw in the cost for shipping and $20/tire for mount and balance the total is still only like $630 from tire rack.
Old 02-01-2011, 12:26 AM

Originally Posted by ZachsXJ
haha, thats probably your problem.

Go easier on them and you'll probably get a lot more life out of them.

Also why did you pay $200/tire for BFG ATs?

Even if you throw in the cost for shipping and $20/tire for mount and balance the total is still only like $630 from tire rack.
Damn, should have kept the receipt, but I paid something like $145 per tire, then the balance and allignment, and it was right around there... cheapest place I could find around here, too!
Old 02-01-2011, 12:31 AM
CF Veteran

Damn, should have kept the receipt, but I paid something like $145 per tire, then the balance and allignment, and it was right around there... cheapest place I could find around here, too!
They're $140 shipped from tire rack, it just sounds like you got ripped off on the mount and balance.

Dangg. Where did you get them balanced/aligned?

I've found that the used tire places are usually the cheapest and do just as good of a job for regular wheels and tires as more expensive places.
Old 02-01-2011, 12:45 AM
Seasoned Member

Engine: I6

I had them on an Explorer I used to own and they lasted a LONG time, maybe 50K. I was pretty easy on them though
Old 02-02-2011, 12:03 AM

Ya, no mileage warranty on the BFG AT's, so I'm basically screwed... ugh. Next time, I'm going with some cheap Cooper AT's
Old 02-02-2011, 04:17 AM
CF Veteran

Year: 1999

Something's definitely wrong. i've had a set on my truck since '07 and i still have over .25" tread remaining. and i've driven a little over 30k miles. and i have beaten the pee-pee out of em, including a few brake lock tire roasters.
Old 02-02-2011, 04:38 AM
CF Veteran

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Year: 1991
Engine: 4.0

Ya, no mileage warranty on the BFG AT's, so I'm basically screwed... ugh. Next time, I'm going with some cheap Cooper AT's
I use Cooper S/T myself. Love them and would buy them again. Never cared for BFG's or Goodyear, because they wear out fast. So does Yokohama's.

Quick Reply: BFG A/T's - Super Fast Tread Wear!