Awesome day at the junkyard. Need advice

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-2010, 10:44 PM
CF Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 2001
Engine: 4.0
Default Awesome day at the junkyard. Need advice

Took a stroll through the local JY today with a fellow forum member and SCORED majorly. Sorry just really excited. Heres the story, walked in paid two bucks and when easter egg hunting for the cherokees. I got a pre 97 stock gas tank skid and 1.5" spacers. While 96 xj got a mirror, light bezzel, mirror and relays. Kicker is after 96 paid for his stuff, the cashier said your good and let me walk off with the skid and spacers for nothing...what a deal. Then afterwards 96 gave me some matching blocks to go in the rear.

But i have a few questions. let me first start of the search sucks...majorly. I've tried many "key words" but to no avail.

So first question is will a 1.5" lift require new shocks?

Second off what kind of problems does axle wrap cause? Since mine are already at that point stock

Third would it be better to just make a bastard pack out of my stock one instead of using the blocks?

fourth what mods will i need to do to fit the pre 97 skid on my 01?
Old 07-26-2010, 10:52 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee

Sweet deal, wish we had some JYs around here in middle TN to dig around in. I used to hit one up in Columbia TN that had a nice selection. Anyway, stock shocks will be fine with the 1.5 spacers. Bastard packs would be better than blocks but shackles would be just as easy. At least for me they are. And there should not need to be much fab work if any for your skid.
Old 07-26-2010, 11:06 PM
Honorary Moderator

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts
Year: 1996
Engine: 4.0 upgraded

on this thread lol.

and no new shocks should be needed.

and a bastard pack would be the number 1 option or we can go back and grab an extra main leaf and secondary leaf from the jy, cut those down a bit and add them to your existing packs, solve the saggy leaf problem and will help a TON against axle wrap and you can use the blocks.

Btw using the stocker leafs will not roughen your ride either. i did it to mine back in high school(in my build thread there shold be pictures on the 1st page if not i have a whole write up). The spring rate and the arch is the same. so it gives you more load carrying capabilities for the same ride quality

Last edited by 96_xj; 07-26-2010 at 11:10 PM.
Old 07-26-2010, 11:21 PM
CF Veteran

Next time we head out i'll grab some s-10 packs. but untill then im slapping that crap on tomorrow. haha. What size u-bolts do i need to get?
Old 07-26-2010, 11:25 PM
Honorary Moderator

let me go measure the ones that i have in my tool box (snapped the nuts off or i would have given them too you)
Old 07-26-2010, 11:33 PM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by 96_xj
let me go measure the ones that i have in my tool box (snapped the nuts off or i would have given them too you)
your in a really giving mood arent you? If all else fails i can run down the autozone and get some. not a very big deal
You sure i can have the book? i mean i found the receipt of it along with some other paperwork.

Sorry to be offtopic but i found a receipt for superstition springs chrysler dated 12/11/08 and NMSU add form for your english class haha dated 12/10/08

Last edited by Tankerblade; 07-26-2010 at 11:37 PM.
Old 07-27-2010, 12:31 AM

Year: 87

have you been up to centenial blvd the pull a part out by the prision? I need to get out there and look around myself one of these days I haven't been out there in a while.
Old 07-27-2010, 01:05 AM
CF Veteran

which prison? theres alot out here...
Old 07-27-2010, 02:29 AM
Honorary Moderator

Originally Posted by Tankerblade
your in a really giving mood arent you? If all else fails i can run down the autozone and get some. not a very big deal
You sure i can have the book? i mean i found the receipt of it along with some other paperwork.

Sorry to be offtopic but i found a receipt for superstition springs chrysler dated 12/11/08 and NMSU add form for your english class haha dated 12/10/08

okay so i got distracted and had to compete in a pancake eating contest at denny's....

But i cant remember the size of the u-bolt... but i do remember that they sell 3 different sizes. the ones for lift blocks is the middle size lol.

i would just go down to the store and grab one and see if it fits and is going to be the correct length.

also just toss those. i forgot those were in there..... my bad

i have another book so now i am down to 1 instead of 2 lol. no worries bro!
Old 07-27-2010, 08:00 PM
CF Veteran

Update. Got the rear blocks in. Only took 3 hours to do it. 2 hours of that was running around trying to get the right bloody u-bolts...but its in. Now i need to get a coil compressor and get the front spacers in. Theres no way dropping the axle will give me enough droop to get it out with the spacer in.

But man...its definitly better looking now. i couldnt even fit my shoe into the space between the fender and the tire. Pics will come soon.
Old 07-28-2010, 05:59 AM
CF Veteran

Received 40 Likes on 35 Posts
Year: 1999
Model: Cherokee (XJ)
Engine: 4.0 I6

another person mocking me with their junkyards
Old 07-28-2010, 04:37 PM
CF Veteran

Year: 1999
Engine: 4.0 I6

Update. Got the rear blocks in. Only took 3 hours to do it. 2 hours of that was running around trying to get the right bloody u-bolts...but its in. Now i need to get a coil compressor and get the front spacers in. Theres no way dropping the axle will give me enough droop to get it out with the spacer in.

But man...its definitly better looking now. i couldnt even fit my shoe into the space between the fender and the tire. Pics will come soon.
i could take mine off if i took the tires and lower control arms off leave the frame on jackstands and drop the front axle
Old 07-28-2010, 04:39 PM
Honorary Moderator

hey tankerblade we could just stick them in the same way we took them out!!!

but seriously we could. i have dont it that way before
Old 07-28-2010, 08:22 PM
CF Veteran

Haha ya i thought about the whole monkey wrench and pull trick...but then i though how the hell am i going to put it back in WITH the spacer haha need to figure out how the whole autozone thing works

I really dont want to drop the LCA too much work in my opinion. 20min and the spring would be out and back in with the spacer with the coil compressor
Old 07-28-2010, 08:39 PM

Haha ya i thought about the whole monkey wrench and pull trick...but then i though how the hell am i going to put it back in WITH the spacer haha need to figure out how the whole autozone thing works

I really dont want to drop the LCA too much work in my opinion. 20min and the spring would be out and back in with the spacer with the coil compressor
I've got a couple of 2 inch spacers that I am struggling with to install as well. I have no problem dropping the lca, sway bar and shock but without a floor jack I am not sure how I will get the axle back up. I considered a regular jack but I am just not sure.

Quick Reply: Awesome day at the junkyard. Need advice