Cherokee Chat General non-tech Cherokee chat
XJ/MJ/ZJ/WJ
View Poll Results: If you had to do one upgrade first, what would it be from the four choices ?
Engine mods (injectors, air intake, exhaust, etc...)
16.67%
Suspension lift
33.33%
Exterior mods like bumpers, roof rack, etc...
33.33%
Dont bother, shove it off a cliff and save yourself money and needless heartache
16.67%
Voters: 6. You may not vote on this poll

Advice and wanted parts for Cherokee Build!!

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-2016, 09:14 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1998
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0
Cool Advice and wanted parts for Cherokee Build!!

I am new to the forum and need advice and parts. A friend of mine gave me her 98 Cherokee, she owned it from new and just hated it sitting in the driveway not being used. It needs work, mostly from sitting. Only damage is the front header panel and bumper got knocked in a parking lot.

I've replace the cooling system (completely) and have been driving around. There is no rust, undercarriage is clean with no rust. Interior is perfectly clean.

I am putting 1500 for mods, and additional 500 for repair expenditures. I would like to add steel bumpers, rack on top, light bars, 3 inch lift from Rough Country including steering and tie-rods ball joints, ect.... replace rims and tires. I know the budget is tight, this is not a vehicle I want to build and run through the desert, just enough to have fun with on the weekends with the family in light excursions.

The good is, I am mechanically inclined and know my way around a car. However, I have never upgraded any truck before, and I am looking for advice on what types of parts or if you have parts like steel bumpers like smittybilt or rough country or whatever opinion you may suggest, i"m open to ideas. that are new and or in good condition, I would be interested in them. Below are some pics of the Cherokee.

Old 09-17-2016, 12:12 AM
CF Veteran

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Year: 1999

Nice jeep. First thing is to get it running in tip top shape. Sounds like you have started doing that. If you won't be doing any type of hardcore offroading, I wouldn't say you need buMyers and light bars and that stuff. Sounds like you want a daily driver that can get you places. Save your budget that you have and use it on better things. I by better I mean I better lift than rough country. There's zone, rustys, rubicon express, and many more that are much bettet. Their more expensive but for good reason. Your budget is tight so you will only have enough for a quality lift and maybe some tires.
Old 09-17-2016, 04:58 AM

X2 on what was stated. You will get what you pay for when it comes to rough country. As far as upgrades/replacements I'd knock out all the regulars first, seems like you already tackled the coolant system. I'd knock out the ignition system (plugs, wires, cap and rotor) and timing chain possibly, I don't know have many miles are on this rig. That way when you go to start upgrading your jeep you have a peace of mine that the engine is reliable. I'd also check the brakes out. A lot of people who DD Cherokees tend to neglect to replace brakes. The I'd worry about a suspension lift fits as far as upgrades go.

Welcome to the forum and have fun modding your Cherokee. They can be very rewarding if fixed up correctly!!!
Old 09-17-2016, 08:33 PM

w
Old 09-17-2016, 08:35 PM

Thank you Martlor13 and 1stJEEPXJ. I just ran a couple of hundred miles into the Appellations today to put it through its paces. Ran great. Suspension progressively got worse, but that was expected. I will take your suggestions and look at other suspensions upgrades other that RC as I want economic, not cheap. As for the ignition and such, that is part of the additional 500 for repair. Just did the essentials first to make it road worthy and reliable to test it out under strain. This will include Master cylinder rebuild, steering pump rebuild, a/c serviced and good already as well as I rebuilt the alt while I had it exposed replacing the cooling system. Also for 130, replacing the exhaust from the back side of the headers (header gasket is good. But I am going to replace the valve cover gasket and oil pad gasket and pads all around as well as the lines (they are corroded.

I am thinking about the lights (roof), is LED bar good or bad) or should I stay with traditional rounds?

Thank you for the welcome guys, much appreciated. When I was up in the hills today, a couple of the eastern Kentucky boys liked the Jeep and talked a little about it with me as they looked over the Jeep. Now here is the funny. One was pulling a beautiful MOD wrangler that looked like it was right out of a magazine. Nothing short of a 50 plus grand vehicle. The other had a base jeep that had seen better days. Even though we did not know each other at all, the conversation was like old friends have. I think I am going to like this group of people.

Thanks again. I'll start looking tomorrow at your suggestions and bounce an idea back.
Old 09-17-2016, 08:38 PM

Just figuring out how to reply properly. Thank you Martlor13 and 1stJEEPXJ. I just ran a couple of hundred miles into the Appellations today to put it through its paces. Ran great. Suspension progressively got worse, but that was expected. I will take your suggestions and look at other suspensions upgrades other that RC as I want economic, not cheap. As for the ignition and such, that is part of the additional 500 for repair. Just did the essentials first to make it road worthy and reliable to test it out under strain. This will include Master cylinder rebuild, steering pump rebuild, a/c serviced and good already as well as I rebuilt the alt while I had it exposed replacing the cooling system. Also for 130, replacing the exhaust from the back side of the headers (header gasket is good. But I am going to replace the valve cover gasket and oil pad gasket and pads all around as well as the lines (they are corroded.

I am thinking about the lights (roof), is LED bar good or bad) or should I stay with traditional rounds?

Thank you for the welcome guys, much appreciated. When I was up in the hills today, a couple of the eastern Kentucky boys liked the Jeep and talked a little about it with me as they looked over the Jeep. Now here is the funny. One was pulling a beautiful MOD wrangler that looked like it was right out of a magazine. Nothing short of a 50 plus grand vehicle. The other had a base jeep that had seen better days. Even though we did not know each other at all, the conversation was like old friends have. I think I am going to like this group of people.

Thanks again. I'll start looking tomorrow at your suggestions and bounce an idea back.
Old 09-17-2016, 09:01 PM
CF Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1992

check the ball joints.. tie rod ends..use nothing but moog for ball joints...fix the front end damage.. get some miles on it.. tires and wheels + lift is the big money,to do it right..tires and wheels tho can be had cheep on craigslist if you are lucky and keep watchful eye out with alerts .. enjoy new toy..
Old 09-17-2016, 10:45 PM
CF Veteran

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

A cheap good steering upgrade that bolts on is the zj v8 tie rod ends,You can pick them up new from a parts store for about 100 bucks.And a zj is a 93-98 grand cherokee just make sure you say its a v8 the inline 6 stuff is same as the xj while the v8 stuff is thicker and stronger.
Old 09-17-2016, 10:54 PM
CF Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1992

Originally Posted by andrewmp6
A cheap good steering upgrade that bolts on is the zj v8 tie rod ends,You can pick them up new from a parts store for about 100 bucks.And a zj is a 93-98 grand cherokee just make sure you say its a v8 the inline 6 stuff is same as the xj while the v8 stuff is thicker and stronger.
just picked this up today.. sitting in living room.. can not believe the difference in size..
Old 09-17-2016, 10:58 PM
CF Veteran

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

It is the best steering upgrade that bolts on.The rest you gotta drill out your knuckles and pitman arm and ream it.To me if im going that far might as well change out a knuckle or both and get cross over steering.
Old 09-18-2016, 08:06 PM

NIce, I'll look into that/ THanks
Old 09-18-2016, 08:13 PM

Default GREAT ADVICE

Originally Posted by andrewmp6
I just researched what you said, and that is a must. The ZJ tie rod is bigger than the XJ tie rod, and solid, whereas the XJ one is hollow.

Thanks again.....
Old 09-18-2016, 08:23 PM

Tell me how it goes for you putting it in. IO read it is straightforward with no modifications.