Jeep Cherokee Forum

Go Back   Jeep Cherokee Forum > General > Cherokee Chat
Register Forgot Password?
Register Photos FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read GarageVendor DirectoryvBLive TSB & Recalls
Search

Welcome to Cherokee Forum!
Welcome to Cherokee Forum,

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

submit to reddit

Old 05-13-2013, 01:29 AM   #1

View londog72's Photo Album My Photos
Cherokee
Cool 91 Jeep Cherokee Laredo 4.0 6 cylinder

I have a couple questions about my Jeep. First what is the button that says power trans? I know what I think it does but I've never heard of it and its not in any manual have seen. But the big mystery is there are three things that went out at the same time that I believe llead to the same problem. just not sure exactly what would cause all three things to stop working. the first thing I noticed was I switched from heater to defrost and nothing happened the vacuum that operates that lever is not functioning properly.
Secondly the cruise control quit working. Last but not least the brake power booster stopped working with the brake assist. If anybody has any ideas where I should start first I would be more than glad to hear them. Or is it possible thmter that operates the brakes is malfunctioning and getting fault signals therefor sending fault PSI to faults tires
londog72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 06:51 AM   #2
Zombie Tactics Expert

View rmoore1031's Photo Album My Photos
1990 Cherokee

Power Trans is pretty much "tow mode", use it when towing. Idk about your other problems. Best bet is to post in the OEM tech section.

Slow Zombie MJ build:
http://www.cherokeeforum.com/f46/pro...9/#post2435541 ZMJ-NY03
My MJ is a 1988 MJ, 2WD, I4 2.5L, AX-4 manual, 235 A/T, and sun roof! sold it :/

Zombie Response Jeep Club:
http://www.cherokeeforum.com/groups/...nse-jeep-club/
rmoore1031 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 08:34 AM   #3
CF Veteran

View DieselD's Photo Album My Photos
'99 and '91 Cherokee

Sounds like you have a a vacuum leak somewhere, all those things run off of vacuum provided from the manifold.

Start checking the lines. And make sure you have a vacuum reservoir ball, should be behind the front bumper on the passenger side.

The trans switch changes the way it shifts. Just keep it on power.

99 Classic
Stock height, BB on 30s and more soon
DieselD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 09:28 AM   #4

View PNWjeeper's Photo Album My Photos
1990 Cherokee

Quote:
Originally Posted by DieselD View Post
Sounds like you have a a vacuum leak somewhere, all those things run off of vacuum provided from the manifold.

Start checking the lines. And make sure you have a vacuum reservoir ball, should be behind the front bumper on the passenger side.

The trans switch changes the way it shifts. Just keep it on power.
Agreed.

Power trans makes the trans shift a little earlier, your mpg should stay the same I've heard of people getting better mpg on power mode, I personally get the same mpg in power or comfort.

It definitely sounds like you have a vacuum leak both the defrost and cruise control run off vacuum provided by the ball mentioned above, it's very common for those lines to break. Brakes work off the vacuum from the intake manifold as well so start poking you head around and listening for a hissing sound while the engine is on.
Crusier54's mostly Renix tips
More Renix Links:
Renix sensor diagnosis
PNWjeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2013, 02:32 AM   #5

View londog72's Photo Album My Photos
Cherokee

Thx for the info...it made me think and I remember hitting ice and sliding into. A mountab hitting the front passenger side. Maybe that ball got damaged. Should I take off grill or look through grill or is it in the engine compartment? Only had jeep a couple years but learned a lot about it. Thx again all for the insight. I will let ya know what I find. I also was driving last week and notice a burnt brake tpe smell and when I pulled over to check the frond pass.. well was smoking a liub was warm. I heard the calipers can sieze up? No grinding and wheel was stiff when I jacked it up so don't think it was bering? If caliper siezed do I have to replace or just free it up? I took off wheel n hub ang jammed greese in. Seems to be good but this is my first jeep n I'm still learning. Any help will be greatly appreciated.
londog72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2013, 09:52 AM   #6

View PNWjeeper's Photo Album My Photos
1990 Cherokee

Quote:
Originally Posted by londog72 View Post
Thx for the info...it made me think and I remember hitting ice and sliding into. A mountab hitting the front passenger side. Maybe that ball got damaged. Should I take off grill or look through grill or is it in the engine compartment? Only had jeep a couple years but learned a lot about it. Thx again all for the insight. I will let ya know what I find. I also was driving last week and notice a burnt brake tpe smell and when I pulled over to check the frond pass.. well was smoking a liub was warm. I heard the calipers can sieze up? No grinding and wheel was stiff when I jacked it up so don't think it was bering? If caliper siezed do I have to replace or just free it up? I took off wheel n hub ang jammed greese in. Seems to be good but this is my first jeep n I'm still learning. Any help will be greatly appreciated.
That vacuum ball is in the bumper if you take off the passenger side end cap you will see it, it's tucked right up against it. You might be able to see it from under the jeep
Crusier54's mostly Renix tips
More Renix Links:
Renix sensor diagnosis
PNWjeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2013, 11:01 PM   #7
CF Veteran

View Bustedback's Photo Album My Photos
1995 Grand Cherokee

You may have the Bendix 9 ABS on your 91 XJ. There is a recall for life on that system that should take care of the lack of assist, it's the 703 recall.
Steering stabilizers will not cure or cause death wobble, they only mask the real problem that is causing death wobble. Oil pumps do not make pressure, they create flow. Bearing clearence and restrictions make pressure. It's the crank sensor.
Bustedback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2013, 11:01 PM

submit to reddit
Go Back   Jeep Cherokee Forum > General > Cherokee Chat