Cherokee Chat General non-tech Cherokee chat
XJ/MJ/ZJ/WJ
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

1999 GC Laredo 4.0L- Is It Worth Keeping?

Search this Thread

Old 11-27-2015, 05:32 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default 1999 GC Laredo 4.0L- Is It Worth Keeping?

Hi All - this is my first post but I have been doing a lot of searching on this forum...has been very informative...I recently bought a 1999 GC in hopes of getting into the 4x4 world...basically a newb...only after a couple of weeks from when I purchased the jeep things start happening to it...here's a list of what it had when I bought it:

- Rough Country 4" lift kit
- new exhaust
- K&N cold air intake and throttle body spacer
- New brake lines all around
- New rotors, calipers, and pads all around

Here is a list of items I knew it needed when I purchased it:

- Radio and speaker
- driver side front seat (bottom pad is out of shape)
- some TLC - door panel cover pins
- center console light is not working
- hatch, rear window, hood struts could use replacing - still ok but seem week
- steering wheel panel below dash - a little beat up

Just got a call from a mechanic and this is what he said it needs so far, but still needed to look into a jingling sounds from underneath the driver side..

Front passenger side axle seal
Rear main seal
TC gasket between engine
Rear upper and lower control arms

I'm sure I can do some of the work myself, but I honestly don't have the time and need the vehicle on the road as soon as possible, as this is also my daily driver..

I paid $4k for it (may seem much but in this area they seem to be priced higher than other parts of the country).

So, is this worth keeping or should I sell and look for another?

Last edited by twistr; 11-27-2015 at 06:48 PM.
Old 11-27-2015, 09:24 PM

forgot to say that it has 123k miles on the motor.
Old 11-28-2015, 09:05 AM
kgm
CF Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 99
Engine: 4.0

Does the rear end wobble or shake? What did you bring it in for?

The rear main seals go out but often just barely leak for years. Also they are sometimes a different leak looking like the RMS. Axle seals are good to replace. Mine are shot but I don't do much offroading so it doesn't matter to me.

TC Gasket? Was it leaking? I assume you mean the transfer case input shaft seal?
Old 11-28-2015, 09:29 AM
Seasoned Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 1997
Model: Grand Cherokee

Hi Twistr and Welcome to the Forum.

There is nothing on your list that prevents you from driving it daily. The rear control arms will clunk around but can wait indefinitely. And please define TC. Timing Cover? Torque Converter? Transfer Case? The Timing Cover is the only one that actually touches the engine.
The axle seal is the only thing sorta difficult to do, the rest is basic. I'll also bet the rear main is actually a combination of oil filter adaptor and oil pan gasket. Those are far more common and easier, though the OFA can be tricky if you are not prepared. LOTS of info and write-ups on how to.
Keep reading and asking specific questions and you can knock all that out in a few weekends.

Last edited by Nick-B; 11-28-2015 at 09:32 AM.
Old 11-28-2015, 10:11 AM

Originally Posted by Nick-B
Hi Twistr and Welcome to the Forum.

There is nothing on your list that prevents you from driving it daily. The rear control arms will clunk around but can wait indefinitely. And please define TC. Timing Cover? Torque Converter? Transfer Case? The Timing Cover is the only one that actually touches the engine.
The axle seal is the only thing sorta difficult to do, the rest is basic. I'll also bet the rear main is actually a combination of oil filter adaptor and oil pan gasket. Those are far more common and easier, though the OFA can be tricky if you are not prepared. LOTS of info and write-ups on how to.
Keep reading and asking specific questions and you can knock all that out in a few weekends.
Thanks for your reply - I was told Transfer Case gasket...I'm sure your right that there are things I can live with for the time being and take care of them down the road...thing is, I can do some of them myself and others I will be relying on "experts". And that can get costly.

I guess I was expecting too much for $4k investment.
Old 11-28-2015, 10:25 AM

Originally Posted by kgm
Does the rear end wobble or shake? What did you bring it in for?

The rear main seals go out but often just barely leak for years. Also they are sometimes a different leak looking like the RMS. Axle seals are good to replace. Mine are shot but I don't do much offroading so it doesn't matter to me.

TC Gasket? Was it leaking? I assume you mean the transfer case input shaft seal?
Brought it in to have it looked at because I was getting a "jingling" sound from what seemed to be the transfer case a long with the front passenger axle seal which was visibly leaking pretty bad...I asked them to look at everything else on it as I was feeling that I bought a lemon..and started second guessing my purchase...I know it was used, and was expecting some minor issues but was hoping luck would be on side and nothing expensive...when I inspected and test drove it before I bought it I did not see or feel any symptoms...a week later I start noticing the sound and saw the leak...wiped down the oil from the seal and it was there again the following day...

was quoted $800 to $1200 to rebuild transfer case depending on how extensive the rebuild would have to be....all the other items I listed including parts and labor I was quoted $1950.00...Ooch!! Mechanic labor labor is not cheap out on Long Island, NY

I know a mechanic is expensive but there are somethings that i do not have tools or equipment to do myself.

Trying to get some of the opinions here on the forum on my dilemma...keep it and slowly get it back in shape or sell it and try again...

Yeah I know its a crap shoot.
Old 11-28-2015, 01:12 PM
CF Veteran

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
Year: 1999

I would take it to another place to have it checked out before you have any major work done.