Jeep Cherokee Forum

Go Back   Jeep Cherokee Forum > General > Cherokee Chat
Register Forgot Password?
Search

Welcome to Cherokee Forum!
Welcome to Cherokee Forum,

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

submit to reddit

Old 05-16-2010, 07:22 PM   #1
CF Veteran

View GreenClassic's Photo Album My Photos
1999 Cherokee
Default 1998 Jeep Grand Cherokee 5.9 Limited

I'm seriously considering buying a 1998 Jeep Grand Cherokee 5.9 Limited. It's 4x4, has 97,000 miles, has the 5.9L V8, and appears to be in pretty good shape. I haven't had my mechanic check it yet, so that will obviously be the make or break for any sort of deal.

Anyways, it's listed at $4995. Is this a fair price? It's at a used car dealer lot. It seems like a good deal to me, but not really sure.

Also, is there anything about the 5.9 that I need to watch out for? Is it the same tranny as the 5.2?

I'd love to hear your thoughts on this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by XJ Knight
Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyXJ
I was renting a U-haul trailer a few months ago, and in their database is only two types of Cherokees: "Grand" and "down-sized". down sized my *****.
more like "fun size"
Kevin
GreenClassic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2010, 07:28 PM   #2

View DUDE454's Photo Album My Photos
2001 Cherokee

Most anything around 100k is good, of course check it out and scence its a dealer you can probably talk him down $300-$500.
DUDE454 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2010, 07:35 PM   #3
CF Veteran

View Tankerblade's Photo Album My Photos
2001 Cherokee

Get it. Its a rare vehicle

01' : 2wd : 8.25 w/LS : 30x9.5 BFG A/T
Tankerblade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2010, 09:50 PM   #4
Registered Users

View nw-xj-scott's Photo Album My Photos
89 Cherokee

The transmission is NOT the same as others. its a hybrid version of the 46RE. with a different bellhousing to fit the starter on the right side.

the 46re is a good tranny. it comes in all 5.9 dodge rams (1500/2500)

Reliability on mine has been so so, i've had to replace a few things in the last 6 months, Crankshaft position sensor TWICE (first was not a mopar unit) at $120 for a sensor it sucked, but installation was horrificly difficult.

Fuel pump went, had to drop the skidplate and tow package to drop the tank. took almost a day.

electrical bugs constantly shadow me, my sunroof is on the frits (bad track cable) heated seats have failed, internal issue in the seat.

Besides the 5.9/46re combo, the rest of the stock drivetrain is damn near junk, from the D44a rear that is prone to fail and expensive to fix, the 249 Transfercase that has a smaller fanclub then the disease AIDS.

The stock front axle is a Low-pinion dana 30, with CV axle shafts, the front Driveshaft is also a CV unit. (terribly weak but cheap to upgrade)

I have to say tho, Besides being a pain in the azz, i love it. It's fun to drive, extremely Capable offroad, and comfertable. And easy to upgrade, they can be more expensive then an XJ for some repairs/upgrades, but In my opinion, worth it!

Disclaimer: mine has 180k!

edit: a good forum for 5.9s www.thespeedfreaks.net

Last edited by nw-xj-scott; 05-16-2010 at 09:53 PM.
nw-xj-scott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2010, 12:39 PM   #5
CF Veteran

View GreenClassic's Photo Album My Photos
1999 Cherokee

Thanks for the info!

I'm just waiting to hear back from my insurance company about how much more it will cost me before I can do anything.

Quote:
Originally Posted by XJ Knight
Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyXJ
I was renting a U-haul trailer a few months ago, and in their database is only two types of Cherokees: "Grand" and "down-sized". down sized my *****.
more like "fun size"
Kevin
GreenClassic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2010, 12:57 PM   #6
Registered Users

View xjoffroad's Photo Album My Photos
1992 Cherokee

When I had mine I loved it. I sold it because it got old having to fix things constantly on it. The rear axle is notoriously having issues and the tc is crap. If I were to buy another one I would put a 8.8 in the rear and 231 tc in it before I drove it around town.

Would I buy another one? Probably not because of their notorious issue they have. To much $$ to fix
xjoffroad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2010, 12:57 PM

submit to reddit
Go Back   Jeep Cherokee Forum > General > Cherokee Chat