Fabrication & builders section. All fabrication posts go here.
XJ/MJ/ZJ/WJ Only projects go here. Questions belong in modified tech.

cherokee quarter pannel damage/HD skins ideas?

Old 12-23-2009, 09:45 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default cherokee quarter pannel damage/HD skins ideas?

ok guys my quarter pannel on my cherokee is pretty screwed up, idk what else to do but this is my idea...

i also posted this on jeepforum i want to get as many ideas as possible

there was a guy on jeepforum that made tube fenders with HD fenders/quarters

i want to take that same idea (without the tube fenders) and use to put on the quarter and bolt it to the dent (so it will pull the dent out while leaving the heavy steel over it, then i would silicone or seal the seam where the thick metal meets the dent/quarter and bed line over top of it

its kind of hard to explain i hope i was clear enough

these are the tube fenders/HD quarters

and this is my dent (hard to see with mud and primer)

(im talking about the part between the door and the flare)

sorry for hurting your eyes with my dumpy ride :\
Old 12-23-2009, 10:21 PM
Seasoned Member

Year: 1998
Engine: 4.0l inline 6, bored tb.

lol i cant help you but i wanted to let you know your ride is not dumpy it has potential good luck with gettin your info
Old 12-23-2009, 10:31 PM
CF Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 1997
Engine: 4.0

dents add character and usually good stories lol leave em lol , i dont see just screwing thick metal to the quarters actually pulling your dents , your best bet for that route would be pull your interior trim and try to hammer and dolly the dents outs as best you can , and to put that steel plateing i would recomend using some kind of backing to screw into while the interior panels are off , maybe some sort of box tubing

Last edited by DEVILSTOY; 12-23-2009 at 10:34 PM.
Old 12-23-2009, 10:33 PM

Year: 1992
Engine: 4.0 Power-Tech 242 I6

isn't that first picture crusin illusion's XJ?
Old 12-23-2009, 10:45 PM

Originally Posted by 98jeepcher
lol i cant help you but i wanted to let you know your ride is not dumpy it has potential good luck with gettin your info
lol thanks, despite the primer and dents ill be lifting it, and i enjoy fab work so i will be making some cool stuff, i made the bumper seen in one of the pics. also i have 33''s ready to go on....ill also be posting up to get more info on a SYE soon cause i have many questions but ill leave that for the suspension/ questions sections or wherever

Originally Posted by DEVILSTOY
dents add character and usually good stories lol leave em lol , i dont see just screwing thick metal to the quarters actually pulling your dents , your best bet for that route would be pull your interior trim and try to hammer and dolly the dents outs as best you can , and to put that steel plateing i would recomend using some kind of backing to screw into while the interior panels are off , maybe some sort of box tubing
not screwing, bolting with fender washers, with the new metal being super thick (not sure what size to use yet) it wont give too much so when you bolt it down the thinner metal will be forced to give

Originally Posted by heep92
isn't that first picture crusin illusion's XJ?
i think? idk took the pics off of jeepforum, i have been thinking about doing this ever sence i saw what he did
Old 12-23-2009, 10:48 PM
CF Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 1997
Engine: 4.0

if your botling them then that means your pulling your interior panels , i would deff try to beat em back out a little , and instead of washers i would use a longer peice of metel , even a decent thickness of flat stock , you'll get more support that way
Old 12-23-2009, 11:00 PM

Originally Posted by DEVILSTOY
if your botling them then that means your pulling your interior panels , i would deff try to beat em back out a little , and instead of washers i would use a longer peice of metel , even a decent thickness of flat stock , you'll get more support that way
yeah i was thinking of that, i just let it slip past my mind when posting,

the dent is suprisingly a PITA to pound back, i was using a 4lb hammer and pounding out pieces with a 2'' square tube and kicking with my foot, i cant get it to move much

and i dont mind taking the interior out, i gotta do it anyway to get rid of the soaked carpet and bed line the whole floor and make water drains

i could care less about the door leaking and all that i just dont want to see a massive crater in my jeep haha

and yeah "battle scars" this jeep was gonna be the parts jeep for my teal 2 door, but this is rust free and had everything i wanted the teal one to have so i put this on the road

the whole front end was smashed off of it so i swapped everything over, i got it for 350$ from a body shop in CT

and this is what i made!

Last edited by Teal2doorXJ; 12-23-2009 at 11:03 PM.
Old 12-23-2009, 11:02 PM
Registered Users

The pic is made buy a company called THOR4x4. I have the same setup and works great
Old 12-23-2009, 11:11 PM

Originally Posted by beatedXJ
The pic is made buy a company called THOR4x4. I have the same setup and works great

i think he made them himself, either way im just looking to do the same thing without the fancyness or the price tag. i prefer 20$ in flat steel rather than 300 for a whole HD quarter and tail light
Old 12-23-2009, 11:18 PM
Registered Users

Originally Posted by Teal2doorXJ
i think he made them himself, either way im just looking to do the same thing without the fancyness or the price tag. i prefer 20$ in flat steel rather than 300 for a whole HD quarter and tail light
no he did buy them from THOR. So how are you going to roll the steel to match the contour of the quarter panel?
Old 12-23-2009, 11:21 PM

no he did buy them from THOR. So how are you going to roll the steel to match the contour of the quarter panel?
there isnt that much of a contour, we drive big boxes lol. when i set a sheet of metal on there it doent need to bend too far so im thinking the tension from the bolts will flex it just enough for me to silicone/bedline

it doesnt have to be pretty i just dont want my cheese grated crater of a quarter scaring away the ladiessssss lmao

and ill get better pictures for you guys tomorrow
Old 12-23-2009, 11:26 PM
Registered Users

Originally Posted by Teal2doorXJ
there isnt that much of a contour, we drive big boxes lol. when i set a sheet of metal on there it doent need to bend too far so im thinking the tension from the bolts will flex it just enough for me to silicone/bedline

it doesnt have to be pretty i just dont want my cheese grated crater of a quarter scaring away the ladiessssss lmao

and ill get better pictures for you guys tomorrow
if you are hopeing the nuts and bolts will suck it in the metal must not be that thick
Old 12-23-2009, 11:27 PM

how thick are you going?
1/16'' i think? im pretty sure thats what it is (my scrap piece i WAS gonna use)

but im open to anything
Old 12-23-2009, 11:29 PM

if you are hopeing the nuts and bolts will suck it in the metal must not be that thick
the "hd quarter" is 2-3x the thickness of OEM sheet metal so the HD quarter wont bend it will pull the smashed up OEM metal out and ill be leaving the thick metal on for protection down the road
Old 12-23-2009, 11:33 PM
Registered Users

my THOR guards are 3/16. Look forward to see what you do. Are you going to make some tail light guards to?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: cherokee quarter pannel damage/HD skins ideas?