Other Vehicles. Other Jeep models & cars and trucks of other makes Talk any vehicle tech in here other than Cherokees.

Towing with a 2015 Tacoma

Old 01-23-2017, 10:09 AM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Year: 2000
Model: Cherokee (XJ)
Engine: 4.0L

So I tow my xj (~3500lbs) on a trailer (~2000lbs) with my Dad's 2015 Tacoma. Obviously I'll get my own truck when I can afford it, but for now this is what I got. My question is what are some things I can do to the truck to improve its towing abilities? My dad has asked me to look into this, so here I am asking you guys. Here's a picture of the Taco and the jeep before the lift/wheels/tires etc Towing with a 2015 Tacoma-image-2033450884.jpg Here's the jeep now: Towing with a 2015 Tacoma-img_4386.jpg
Old 01-28-2017, 09:57 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee

Are you on Tacomaworld.com ? Here's my Taco https://www.tacomaworld.com/threads/...thread.439791/

To answer your question. Look into RideRight air bags or Or Dakar leaf springs. The nice thing about the air bags is that you can get rid of the rear sag when towing and not have the ridiculous rake you get with HD leaf packs. They're also totally bolt on. I installed rear bags right away when I bought my Taco. They're pretty awesome. My truck has taken a turn to off road mods though so I removed the bags and bought Dakars.

I also put a bigger trans cooler with a fan on it in my truck. Do you have an auto? There's a link to it in my build page that I linked to above.

The only other thing I'd do is put in a Scangauge II so you can monitor trans temps. with mine I can see the temp at the converter and in the pan. Disregard if you have a manual.

Also, if your truck is auto, make sure you keep the convertor in lock up when towing. Letting the trans hunt will heat up the trans FAST. As I'm sure you already know, heat is what kills automatics.
Old 01-29-2017, 02:12 AM

Originally Posted by HolyHandGrenade
Are you on Tacomaworld.com ? Here's my Taco https://www.tacomaworld.com/threads/...thread.439791/

To answer your question. Look into RideRight air bags or Or Dakar leaf springs. The nice thing about the air bags is that you can get rid of the rear sag when towing and not have the ridiculous rake you get with HD leaf packs. They're also totally bolt on. I installed rear bags right away when I bought my Taco. They're pretty awesome. My truck has taken a turn to off road mods though so I removed the bags and bought Dakars.

I also put a bigger trans cooler with a fan on it in my truck. Do you have an auto? There's a link to it in my build page that I linked to above.

The only other thing I'd do is put in a Scangauge II so you can monitor trans temps. with mine I can see the temp at the converter and in the pan. Disregard if you have a manual.

Also, if your truck is auto, make sure you keep the convertor in lock up when towing. Letting the trans hunt will heat up the trans FAST. As I'm sure you already know, heat is what kills automatics.
"Mine" is an auto. I'll have to read through that thread. I am not on tacomaworld, but I might join soon. I'll have to look into those, thank you! And I'll have to post a pic, but this taco has been wheeled, however it's turned into more of a tow rig as of late.

Last edited by Lake00XJ; 01-29-2017 at 11:22 AM.
Old 01-29-2017, 02:13 AM

Can't figure out why it's side sways but here's the Tacoma hanging with a xj

Towing with a 2015 Tacoma-img_4283.jpg
Old 01-29-2017, 06:08 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee

Originally Posted by Lake00XJ
Can't figure out why it's side sways but here's the Tacoma hanging with a xj

Attachment 298579
Nice. My pics load sideways too sometimes. I can't figure it out either.
Attached Thumbnails Towing with a 2015 Tacoma-img_2753.jpg  
Old 01-29-2017, 11:23 AM

Originally Posted by HolyHandGrenade
Nice. My pics load sideways too sometimes. I can't figure it out either.
Dang! That's a nice taco and XJ you got there good sir!
Old 01-29-2017, 11:25 AM

"My" tocoma is actually my dads truck and I'm in college with two jeeps. Obviously I can't afford a truck in my own yet, so that's why I'm asking about making the taco tow better. If a full size was an option, I wouldn't be asking about the Tacoma. This post is to eliminate confusion.