Other Vehicles. Other Jeep models & cars and trucks of other makes Talk any vehicle tech in here other than Cherokees.

Ford 302 help!!

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-2008, 05:08 PM
CF Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Year: 90
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0
Default Ford 302 help!!

Well...

Here is what happens when you try and help the neighbor kid out and teach him some about vehicles and working on his own vehicle.

I'm getting ready to change the ignition on my 88 Ford P/U and my neighbor kids is going to help me.. I went into the garage to get a long extension and a spark plug socket...

I come out and he has the cap and rotor and the spark plug wires laying on my work stand.. With the wires completely off the cap...

So help me jog my memory...

On a 302.. you start with the front cylinder passenger side and go backwards 1-4, drivers side 5-8. With a clockwise rotation of the distributor??? Correct. or am I completely backwards here...
Old 06-03-2008, 05:12 PM
CF Veteran

Received 19 Likes on 12 Posts
Year: 2001
Engine: 4.0L

I hope this will help you..

Old 06-03-2008, 05:24 PM
CF Veteran

Exactly what I was looking for... And I was half right... Thanks....

Damn teenagers!!!
Old 06-04-2008, 08:44 AM
Renix Super Guru

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts
Year: 1990XJ/1989MJ
Model: Comanche
Engine: 4.0L Renix

Originally Posted by whowey
Exactly what I was looking for... And I was half right... Thanks....

Damn teenagers!!!
Does he know better now? Did you teach him or just yell at him? We were all young,dumb and full of crap too. At least I was. Mistakes are the best way to learn. Show him how much trouble was caused by his haste to help you. After all he was trying to help. He just assumed you had the info in your head on in a book or on the web.
Blue
Old 06-04-2008, 06:26 PM
CF Veteran

No, I didn't yell at him... He is a pretty good kid.. His folks idea of working on their own cars is opening the hood to add washer fluid...

He bought an old S-10 blazer last summer with his lawn mowing cash. His folks hate the thing so badly he has to park it in the alley behind their garage. So he is slowly fixing it up for this fall when he gets his liscense... He comes up and is usually my little garage slave.. But he was excited to see how the new ignition made the truck run differently. So he got carried away. No big deal... But when he wants to do the ignition on his truck, I plan on returning the favor.....
Old 06-04-2008, 06:57 PM
CF Veteran

Received 19 Likes on 12 Posts

That works, but make sure you have the firing order wrote down, but make hime sweet a bit on it...
Old 06-05-2008, 12:25 AM
Renix Super Guru

Originally Posted by whowey
No, I didn't yell at him... He is a pretty good kid.. His folks idea of working on their own cars is opening the hood to add washer fluid...

He bought an old S-10 blazer last summer with his lawn mowing cash. His folks hate the thing so badly he has to park it in the alley behind their garage. So he is slowly fixing it up for this fall when he gets his liscense... He comes up and is usually my little garage slave.. But he was excited to see how the new ignition made the truck run differently. So he got carried away. No big deal... But when he wants to do the ignition on his truck, I plan on returning the favor.....
Glad you didn't yell at him. He may learn how to get cash by changing his mom's blinker fluid if he hangs with you buddy. Have you taught him how to change those muffler bearings yet. Real important lesson there.
Old 06-05-2008, 06:31 PM
CF Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1993

Originally Posted by BlueXJ
Glad you didn't yell at him. He may learn how to get cash by changing his mom's blinker fluid if he hangs with you buddy. Have you taught him how to change those muffler bearings yet. Real important lesson there.
Don't play around like that when I was little daddy had me beliving there were radiator bearings. I even ask for them at the parts store.
Old 06-05-2008, 07:26 PM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by alienboyfinney
Don't play around like that when I was little daddy had me beliving there were radiator bearings. I even ask for them at the parts store.

Many, many, many moons ago when I was first LEGALLY driving.. My buddy's gym class convinced him that his blinker fluid was low and that is why his turn signals weren't working on his Honda CVCC... He didn't want to look stupid in front of the gearheads in class, so he agreed with them. He caught up with me coming out of Basic Welding(what an easy A for a Farm Kid) and asked me about it in front of a WHOLE bunch of farmers... When I started laughing and telling him he got *****ed(think pwned) and the rest of the farmer kids starting laughing HE GOT PISSED!!!!!!

Later on I went over to his house to see if he was still pissed. I told his dad what happened and his dad started to laugh also... He was pissed at me for two weeks... But he did fix his turn signals....

Last edited by whowey; 06-05-2008 at 07:27 PM. Reason: My memory isnt what it shoud be
Old 06-05-2008, 11:31 PM
CF Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 1998
Model: Grand Cherokee (ZJ)

If anybody needs any of the above parts, this place has the best prices. I order all my muffler bearings,blinker fluid and cross-drilled brake lines from them.

http://kalecoauto.com/index.php?main...fb664c8f43d7ec
Old 06-06-2008, 03:01 PM
Renix Super Guru

Originally Posted by drakan1908
If anybody needs any of the above parts, this place has the best prices. I order all my muffler bearings,blinker fluid and cross-drilled brake lines from them.

http://kalecoauto.com/index.php?main...fb664c8f43d7ec
Thanks drakan I had lost their link and was down to my last quart of blinker fluid. I was getting desperate. You are a life saver.
Old 06-07-2008, 03:17 PM
CF Veteran

Meh.... I use fancy imported synthetic blinker fluid....

Here is the bloody end to the story...

Aiden and I finished the ignition today...
I got to show him how to make custom plug wires, so he is pretty excited over it.
His father and I got into a bit of a tift the other day. Aiden skipped his summer school intervention classes Thursday afternoon to come over and help me work on the van and truck. When I found out I yelled at him and told him to either head to school or head home. About 25 minutes later, his father comes over and starts hooting and hollering about how I had no right to yell at his kid. And asks if I would yell at my own kids like that. When I said, 'if my kids skipped school, I'd do alot more than yell at them.' He got all flustered, starting yammering and stomped off down the alley...

I get home from the Oreilly's friday night.(I must go there WAY too much.. my stuff is always boxed up for me when I get there) Aiden's father comes over and apologizes too me for acting like an ***. He said he went home and asked Aiden why was I yelling at him. Aiden admitted he skipped the school program and told me. And I had told Aiden that school will get you ALOT farther in life than knowing how to change spark plugs. The father stood there talking for a few minutes and he asked me where could he get a good set of tools for Aiden.. His birthday is next month and he keeps asking for his own tools... I told the father..he buys the tools, I will spring for the toolbox...
Old 06-07-2008, 05:54 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Grand Cherokee
Engine: 4.7L V8

The most effective piece of advice I can give about a ford 302.....Replace it with a Chev 327 or 350!
Old 06-07-2008, 09:14 PM
CF Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1993

Originally Posted by WJCraig
The most effective piece of advice I can give about a ford 302.....Replace it with a Chev 327 or 350!
If you were to say that in my house, you would get shot.
Old 06-07-2008, 09:19 PM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by WJCraig
Why?? I want to drive it, not work on it all the time.....

Quick Reply: Ford 302 help!!