WJ Quarter trim

Old 10-17-2008, 08:14 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1988
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0ltr
Default WJ Quarter trim

My buddy Ryan brought his WJ into the body shop I used to manage (this was a couple of years ago) and he had some body damage on the doors and the quarter that were covered by insurance.

He had trouble with his rear tires rubbing so I trimmed back the quarter for him, we only did the one side for now, maybe someday he'll have a claim where the left side gets painted and he'll do that one too!

I was able to get about an inch more clearance all around the quarter edge

The rear door is in progress for repair and I started on the quarter by making some edge cuts and taping off the surface

Made a cut on the lower edge and starting to measure and mark where I will be folding the outer panel over

Marked the inner quarter for the cut line

Then I spot welded a piece of steel to the inner panel and I've started with the rough cuts that I will grind back until it's a nice even edge all around, that steel will help me get a crisp corner when I start the fold on the outer panel

Punched some holes in the outer panel and started folding it over onto the inner

Once I got the corner formed on the outer panel, I cut off the steel on the inner so I could finish folding over the outer panel

Kept working it until I got the entire edge of the outer panel shaped and folded over good

The front edge was done the same way and everywhere I punched a hole, it got spot welded and ground smooth

Had to use a little bondo to make it all nice and smooth

Then some seam sealer was applied all along the folded edge and then some primer

front edge

back edge

Primed all the repaired areas and it's ready for some block sanding and then paint

After painting the outside, the wheel well got undercoated

Ryan's rig has had alot of work since we did his quarters, Clayton long arms, 6" springs, D44a with the now unavailable Aussie locker installed, etc

Rt. side trimmed

Lt. side still stock