Jeep Cherokee Forum

Go Back   Jeep Cherokee Forum > Technical Discussion > Technical Write-Up/How To Section > XJ Write-Ups
Register Forgot Password?
Register Photos FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read GarageVendor DirectoryvBLive TSB & Recalls
Search

Welcome to Cherokee Forum!
Welcome to Cherokee Forum,

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

Closed Thread

submit to reddit

Old 08-02-2011, 01:49 AM   #1

View Barlow's Photo Album My Photos
1994 Cherokee
Default Push Start button Mod W/ or W/O Key

I looked everywhere to find a write up on doing the push button mod and could not find one, so when I decided to do this mod on my 94 Cherokee I took some pictures to do a write up for you guys.

I used a test light and multi-meter to find my wires

First off, I grabbed these 2 switches from Oreillys auto parts
60 Amp Push Start button
20 Amp Race style switch
both were about $12

Click the image to open in full size.

Your going to find the wires you want under your steering column, They look about 14g and wrapped in tape, cut off the tape to see a cluster of wires. there are only a few you want.

Red (#1)- There are 2 Red 14g here, both are Constant 12V so pick one. Splice into it.

Blue (#6)- This is also 14g and it's the wire that kills your Jeep when cut, so cut it and tape up the end going to the steering column.

Yellow (#3)- This is the wire going to your Starter, Cut it and tape up the end going to the steering column.

Green W/ Black Strip - It is a smaller size wire. It is 12V when the ignition is on, Find it coming from your steering column and Splice into it like you did your red wire. This is your ACC.

Here is a shot of the switches

I used an inline fuse to connect the Constant 12V to my Starer Button.

Looking from the back of the switch panel:

The switch on the Left is the Race Style Toggle and the Push Button on the right is our Start Button.

#1 Is coming from my Fuse, the 12V Constant

#2 Is going to the 12V side of the Race Style Toggle, 1 and 2 are connected to the same post.

#3 Is going to your Yellow Starter wire.

#4 Is the 12V Constant incoming from 2

#5 Is going out to the Green W/ Black strip ACC wire 5 and 6 are connected to the same post

#6 Is going to your Kill Wire, when the Toggle is on, it will allow you to start and when it is flipped off, it kills all electronics, just like if you turned your key off. 5 and 6 are connected to the same post.

Now flip up the Race style toggle and everything will come on like you just switched your key to ACC.

Push the Start Button till the engine starts, just like when you turn your key to start the Jeep.

To turn the Jeep off, flip the Race Style toggle down, like you just turn the Jeep off with your key.

IF YOU LIKE, with this set up you can also use your key in the ignition, you can turn the key to ACC and press your Starter Button. But why would you want to when you just installed a cool System, Right?

Now for security you can take your fuse with you so people can't start your Jeep that easily. You also cant press the Start Button even with the key with out the Fuse in.

Make sure to Splice into, NOT CUT the Green W/Black ACC wire, or your Wipers wont work lol.

You also need to remove the Lock Plate in the Steering Column so your steering wheel can move freely.
CherokeeForum.com Stickers!

Last edited by Barlow; 08-02-2011 at 01:59 AM.
Old 08-02-2011, 01:49 AM

submit to reddit
Closed Thread

Tags
push button start
Go Back   Jeep Cherokee Forum > Technical Discussion > Technical Write-Up/How To Section > XJ Write-Ups