Pop XJ hood without hood release cable

Old 01-25-2015, 04:27 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1998
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0
Default Pop XJ hood without hood release cable

This is my first write up on here. I have read many great write ups on this forum and they have helped me more than I could describe, but when I forgot to hook the cable back up on my hood after cleaning it I couldn't find a good solution here. A few hours later I had it open. The methods that apparently work on older XJs failed to work on my '98. You'll have to do some fine tuning, but this worked for me and I'll definitely get you going on the right track faster.

This method you'll need a Phillips screwdriver, a metal coat hanger, and perhaps a flashlight.

This hole is where you'll see what you're doing. This is perhaps the most difficult part.

A view of your window through the grill. It will make it a bit easier to get a good view if you remove the grill.

Through the hole you'll see that plastic clip shown on the left side of the picture. The trick is to hook your coat hanger over the rod just to the right of that, then drag it toward the latch, where it will grab where the rod is welded together and the hood will pop.

I shaped my coat hanger on the hood to get a reference of where the bends needed to be. The hook on mine bends up then toward me then back down. Make the hook just big enough to go over the latch rod. My first attempt it was too big and there wasn't enough clearance between the hood and the rod to get the hook through. I apologize for the shadows if they make it difficult to see.

Fish your hook inside under the hood then watching through your window with the flashlight get the rod hooked, then carefully drag it to the right until it pops.

Here is a view of where your hook will be under the hood.

Good Luck!!!
Now before you close the hood again remember to fix your latch!
The following users liked this post:
loveoldtrux (10-04-2022)