Jeep Cherokee Forum

Go Back   Jeep Cherokee Forum > Technical Discussion > Technical Write-Up/How To Section > XJ Write-Ups
Register Forgot Password?
Search

Welcome to Cherokee Forum!
Welcome to Cherokee Forum,

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

Closed Thread

submit to reddit

Old 10-27-2010, 07:55 PM   #1

View hando's Photo Album My Photos
1997 Cherokee
Default Center Console Removal & Wobble Fix

I recently bought my 97 XJ and the center console was wobbling much more than I expected so I decided to take it apart and see what was causing it and while I was at it,I decided to write a DIY on the center console removal.
You will need just philips screwdriver for the removal

First remove the center dash trim by grabbing any edge and pulling forward. Its just held by clips and should come out easy
Click the image to open in full size.

Remove screws at the bottom of the console bucket.
Then remove the shifter cover by just pulling it straight up or you can use a flat head. Its only held by clips.

Then unplug the light bulb connect to the cover. Twist and pull

Pull shift **** straight up. Its a little hard so pull as hard as you can.

Remove the screw holding part of the console
Now remove that transfer case shifter cover by pulling it straight up like the shifter cover.

Shift the transfer lever as far back as possible (i think it will go back to 4high) and then remove the bulb connected to it. Also remove the screw holding this part of the console.

Now pull the ebrake as far up as possible and shimmy the console out. Heres a pick of how high my ebrake was.

And there is the removal of the center console. To put everything back just do everything in reverse. To make it easier put the rear vent pipe on first when reinstalling the console. Don't forget when your done to put the transfer case back in 2wd.

Now for my center console wobble. It ends up that the bracket in the rear had a broken leg and one of the legs didn't even have a screw holding it

I called the dealer to ask how much the part would cost and they told me it was $110. Thats crazy for a piece of plastic. I decided I was just going to use two part epoxy because I found all the broken pieces. You could also go to the junkyard and maybe find a 97+ XJ but I didn't have the time. Here is the fixed leg.

Installed the console back with all screws tight and now my console is fixed and doesn't feel like its going to pop off. Problem solved.
Old 10-27-2010, 07:55 PM

submit to reddit
Closed Thread
Go Back   Jeep Cherokee Forum > Technical Discussion > Technical Write-Up/How To Section > XJ Write-Ups