Stock Grand Cherokee Tech. All ZJ/WJ/WK Non-modified/stock questions go here! ZJ (93-98), WJ (99-04), WK (05+)
All ZJ/WJ/WK specific tech questions asked here!

WJ popular aftermarket parts

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-2009, 06:14 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 2004
Model: Grand Cherokee
Engine: 4.0
Exclamation WJ popular aftermarket parts

I have a 2004 GC wj 4.0

i just bought: K&N Cold Air Intake 57 Generation II, and Airaid Throttle Body Spacer Poweraid (hoping it will up my mpg a little)

seems that the wj isn't very popular to mod. (just bought me jeep a few days ago and have been looking through tons of websites and most are uesless)

i found some headers at this website: http://www.autopartswarehouse.com/sk...%26+Drivetrain

any help with better websites to shop from?
Old 12-28-2009, 08:37 PM

Model: Cherokee

Name:  2914c562.jpg
Views: 2368
Size:  69.4 KB

keep stock, lift, tires, wheels, racks, bumpers be done
Old 12-28-2009, 08:52 PM
CF Veteran

Received 19 Likes on 12 Posts
Year: 2001
Engine: 4.0L

WJ's are the "Abnorm" in the Jeep world. There's a few sweet ones around just still not as common as others..
Old 12-28-2009, 09:02 PM

Originally Posted by nick_n_ii
WJ's are the "Abnorm" in the Jeep world. There's a few sweet ones around just still not as common as others..
yeah I noticed that. imo they are the better looking of the jeeps
Old 12-28-2009, 09:14 PM
Resident Pirate

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

just do this

Old 12-28-2009, 09:26 PM

Originally Posted by taythegibs
just do this

do want lol

mpg is a factor that is holding me back from doing that. my 15 mgp city is killing me enough.
my goal right now is to get to 17mpg city (if possible :| )
Old 12-28-2009, 10:01 PM
Resident Pirate

you will probably want to open up the exhaust as well as the intake (bigger pipe, less restrictive cat and muffler) from what ive heard the tb spacer doesnt help. lifting it and putting bigger tires on it will lower your mpg's so i guess that is out if you want to gain 2 mpg. also look at your driving habits, take it smooth slow and steady.
Old 12-28-2009, 10:30 PM

yep that white wj is gettin like 12-13mpg haha with a cold air intake and flowmaster exhaust

my cousin and i have only seen one other lifted WJ and it was done right! 6.5'' long arm kit with fox coilovers with remote resivours
Old 12-28-2009, 10:56 PM

Year: 97
Engine: 5.2

Originally Posted by taythegibs
just do this

thats bad i want one... That thing could make you bust a nut.
Old 12-28-2009, 11:29 PM
Resident Pirate

the guy who built the war hog sold it a little while back on ebay.
Old 12-28-2009, 11:34 PM

Year: 97
Engine: 5.2

only in a jeep...
its probably flipped somewhere.
Old 12-30-2009, 11:20 PM

Year: 98

Opening up the air flow is definitely a good idea. I have a 4.0 in my zj and since the wj is bigger and heavier it really needs it. When upgrading the exhaust you do not want to go over 2.5" or you will actually loose power. The stock is 2.25 and in the bends flow is restricted a lot. I got a similar boost to the FIPK2 air intake in power when I added a mandrel bent cat back that I got from kevin's offroad.

Another big inprovement you could do is getting a 62mm throttle body. The stock tapers from 60mm to 58mm.

I recently upgraded to the the intake manifold from a wj and thorley exhaust manifold from kolak performance. Here is the write up that I started but have not finished as of yet. http://ultimatejeep.proboards.com/in...lay&thread=870

I then had a 2.5 in downpipe fabed.

I also have a jet 1 chip. It was good to begin with but it only fools the computer when reading the sensors. The computer eventually figures out a way around it. Go with a hypertech programmer instead.

The last mod I have is a upgraded ignition coil with larger shielded plug wires and E3 plugs.

I also have a Hesco 62mm throtle body spacer that barely added anything. It did smooth out some of my acceleration though. I have heard that the one you mentioned whistles, does it?

I'm not saying that this is the best options for you, but I'm happy with the improvements

Last edited by gully369; 12-30-2009 at 11:23 PM.
Old 12-30-2009, 11:28 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1989

my one regret is not getting the v8, it gets way better city gas mileage. Mine is pulling 13 stock, maybe....
Old 12-31-2009, 01:27 PM

installed everything i ordered in my OP and i believe i gained 1mpg. will update when i refuel. and i love the little turbo sound @ 1500 to 2000 rpms

Originally Posted by gully369
Opening up the air flow is definitely a good idea. I have a 4.0 in my zj and since the wj is bigger and heavier it really needs it. When upgrading the exhaust you do not want to go over 2.5" or you will actually loose power. The stock is 2.25 and in the bends flow is restricted a lot. I got a similar boost to the FIPK2 air intake in power when I added a mandrel bent cat back that I got from kevin's offroad.

Another big inprovement you could do is getting a 62mm throttle body. The stock tapers from 60mm to 58mm.

I recently upgraded to the the intake manifold from a wj and thorley exhaust manifold from kolak performance. Here is the write up that I started but have not finished as of yet. http://ultimatejeep.proboards.com/index.cgi?board=buildups&action=display&thread=870

I also have a jet 1 chip. It was good to begin with but it only fools the computer when reading the sensors. The computer eventually figures out a way around it. Go with a hypertech programmer instead.

The last mod I have is a upgraded ignition coil with larger shielded plug wires and E3 plugs.

I also have a Hesco 62mm throtle body spacer that barely added anything. It did smooth out some of my acceleration though. I have heard that the one you mentioned whistles, does it?

I'm not saying that this is the best options for you, but I'm happy with the improvements
MPG after all this? and yes it whistles. i believe the cold air improves the sound; Im not sure though.

Originally Posted by dellstopjeep
my one regret is not getting the v8, it gets way better city gas mileage. Mine is pulling 13 stock, maybe....
i'm getting 15 to 16 city in my 4.0
Old 01-03-2010, 06:57 AM

Originally Posted by gully369

I recently upgraded to the the intake manifold from a wj and thorley exhaust manifold from kolak performance. Here is the write up that I started but have not finished as of yet. http://ultimatejeep.proboards.com/in...lay&thread=870

Originally Posted by 04freedom
MPG after all this? and yes it whistles. i believe the cold air improves the sound; Im not sure though.
bump to get this question answered

Quick Reply: WJ popular aftermarket parts