Stock Grand Cherokee Tech. All ZJ/WJ/WK Non-modified/stock questions go here! ZJ (93-98), WJ (99-04), WK (05+)
All ZJ/WJ/WK specific tech questions asked here!

WJ Fan Relay keeps burning up. Why?

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-2009, 08:31 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default WJ Fan Relay keeps burning up. Why?

My stock relay went out one day. I figured it out because the fan just kept running. I replaced that one with one from Autozone. About 90 days later, the CEL came on and read P 1491 - Short or bad fan relay wiring. The fan was still working, but about a day or two later, it quit working altogether. So I replaced it again.

Here I am about 60 days later, and am in the same situation. I think I may put a mechanical fan on it, and say forget about the stupid relay problem. Just don't like the idea of the CEL staying on the whole time.

Does anyone know why this happens. Is it a bad wire somewhere? If so, is it in a common place. I have done a little research on here regarding this issue, but none of them seem to be recurring issues like mine. I just wondered if anyone knows about it being recurring, and what the remedy is besides going to a mech fan.
Old 09-14-2009, 10:54 PM

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Year: 2000
Model: Grand Cherokee
Engine: 4.0

It's a notoriously poorly designed system thats prone to failure,the relays get too hot where they are located and burn up or melt wiring...the aftermarket relays are even worse...try an oem relay. Also,when the fan is on it's way out the failing motor will burn up relays quicker.