Stock Grand Cherokee Tech. All ZJ/WJ/WK Non-modified/stock questions go here! ZJ (93-98), WJ (99-04), WK (05+)
All ZJ/WJ/WK specific tech questions asked here!

Wiring rear wiper motor from scratch

Old 10-13-2015, 06:09 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default Wiring rear wiper motor from scratch

Hi,
New poster here, I appreciate any help on offer and hope I can repay in kind.

I am wiring a rear wiper motor from a 1998 Grand Cherokee, the motor was purchased from Summit and is a Valeo, 6-pin unit.

Here is a picture of the connector:

Also attached is a wiring diagram I grabbed off a "justanswer" thread where a technician was attempting to help a subscriber diagnose a problem. The diagram was represented as being from a 1998 Grand Cherokee.

I am wiring this into a car with no wiring harness so I am building from scratch. I have wired a few cars before so I am no beginner, but I am no professional either.

One observation is the diagram only accounts for 5 pins. I opened up the Valeo wiper motor electronics case and all 6 pins are mounted to the PCB board so I think they are all in use, at least in certain circumstances.

I noted continuity between pin #3 and the wiper motor "ON" copper swipe in the motor connection. I also note continuity between pin #3 and both the motor drive connections (presumably one is Batt+ and the other is Batt -)

I have tried power and ground in all possible combinations across all the pins in pairs. I also tried most combinations with pin #3 grounded, to see if pin #3 was wanted a ground connection it that's how the door ajar switch works. No dice.

I honestly thought the following was going to be correct to get the wiper to turn on, at least from the diagram:

1-ground
2- Batt+
3- neither ground or open worked
4- intermittent if batt+ applied
5- Batt+

But it didn't...

I would be most grateful if someone could help with how a 6-pin wiper motor in a 1998 grand Cherokee should be wired without referring to wire colors (which I don't have to work from?) Perhaps a better or correct wiring diagram?

Thanks!
Attached Thumbnails Wiring rear wiper motor from scratch-20151010_122402-1-.jpg   Wiring rear wiper motor from scratch-2009-12-14_162003_wiper.gif  
Old 10-13-2015, 06:57 PM

Ol"Blue shared this link but it doesn't match the part I have?

http://api.viglink.com/api/click?for...%3E%20diagrams
Old 10-14-2015, 10:08 AM

Found another diagram, this one was accurate and got the motor working with B+ on pins 1, 2 and 5 with ground on 3.

Perhaps this will help someone else...
Attached Thumbnails Wiring rear wiper motor from scratch-zj605383.gif  

Last edited by JohnJL; 10-14-2015 at 10:10 AM.
Old 02-08-2017, 12:38 PM

Default Wiring diagram

I was seeing if someone knows the wiring diagram for a 2004 jeep Cherokee. I need it for the rear wiper. If someone knows or know were I can find it. I have a new motor and new pigtail but they didn't tell me which wire goes where. On my pigtail all wires are white and don't know what it what.
Old 02-08-2017, 01:35 PM

HMMMM....if it was mine I would figure out which wire make it move and run a wire from there to a toggle switch in the dash and a fused hot lead to that and be done with it. LOL I'm a big KISS fan, as in keep it simple.....

Last edited by Cleman Simpson; 02-08-2017 at 03:32 PM.
Old 02-08-2017, 04:09 PM

I do got toggle switch but don't want to fry motor if I hook up to wrong one
Old 03-14-2023, 12:23 AM

Default Rear wiper motor trouble shooting

[QUOTE=JohnJL;3156131]Hi,
New poster here, I appreciate any help on offer and hope I can repay in kind.

I am wiring a rear wiper motor from a 1998 Grand Cherokee, the motor was purchased from Summit and is a Valeo, 6-pin unit.

Here is a picture of the connector:

Also attached is a wiring diagram I grabbed off a "justanswer" thread where a technician was attempting to help a subscriber diagnose a problem. The diagram was represented as being from a 1998 Grand Cherokee.

I am wiring this into a car with no wiring harness so I am building from scratch. I have wired a few cars before so I am no beginner, but I am no professional either.

One observation is the diagram only accounts for 5 pins. I opened up the Valeo wiper motor electronics case and all 6 pins are mounted to the PCB board so I think they are all in use, at least in certain circumstances.

I noted continuity between pin #3 and the wiper motor "ON" copper swipe in the motor connection. I also note continuity between pin #3 and both the motor drive connections (presumably one is Batt+ and the other is Batt -)

I have tried power and ground in all possible combinations across all the pins in pairs. I also tried most combinations with pin #3 grounded, to see if pin #3 was wanted a ground connection it that's how the door ajar switch works. No dice.

I honestly thought the following was going to be correct to get the wiper to turn on, at least from the diagram:

1-ground
2- Batt+
3- neither ground or open worked
4- intermittent if batt+ applied
5- Batt+

But it didn't...

I would be most grateful if someone could help with how a 6-pin wiper motor in a 1998 grand Cherokee should be wired without referring to wire colors (which I don't have to work from?) Perhaps a better or correct wiring diagram?

Thanks

Last edited by rockhound510; 03-14-2023 at 12:26 AM.
Old 03-14-2023, 12:29 AM

Thanks for posting the diagram it helped me solve my problem I couldn't troubleshoot the motor when it was disconnected from the vehicle door and window open.

I tried mapping the pins in the connector with a voltage tester and can only find two hot leads when I applied power to the motor I got no response. When removed from the vehicle it couldn't sense the window ajar switch which caused the motor to not work.

So I close the door and the window and crawled in the backseat and hooked up a new motor and it works just fine.

Thanks again for posting the wiring diagram that did the trick.