Stock Grand Cherokee Tech. All ZJ/WJ/WK Non-modified/stock questions go here! ZJ (93-98), WJ (99-04), WK (05+)
All ZJ/WJ/WK specific tech questions asked here!

Will 8 quarts of oil damage engine???

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-2012, 10:17 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 2012
Model: Grand Cherokee
Engine: 5.7
Default Will 8 quarts of oil damage engine???

I just had local dealer change the oil on my 2012 grand Cherokee with the 5.7 liter hemi and they put in 8 quarts of synthetic. I know manual says 7 quarts and warns against overfilling because it may cause damage. The service manager noticed the 8 quarts listed on the bill and said the tech must have added a portion of the 8th quart so I was charged for the full quart. She didn't seem concerned at all that there was an overfilled. When I got home I checked the oil and it appears there is an extra full quart. The oil measures more than a half inch above the full level. Has this extra oil caused damage or will it? I've only driven 15 miles. I'm taking it back to dealer to remove extra oil, but I'd like to know if I'm overly concerned?
Old 03-03-2012, 10:20 PM
CF Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 1992
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0 HO

over time i would be concerned. but definitly take it back and make them fix it for free otherwise. if you would like to run it till something breaks then you have proof they overfilled it and have to fix everything without cost to you. but first take it back to them
Old 03-03-2012, 11:49 PM

Year: 1994
Engine: 5.2

You might be a bit over concerned.. According to my uncle who was/is a rep for chrysler he told me one time that the marks on the dip stick can be off a 1/4 inch or more and if that be true then a 1/4 ince above that would not be caused for alarm. There is enough room above the regular oil level in factory engines to accomadate the added quart or so. The thing is. if the oil is too high it can be hit by the rods and cause the oil to foam which in turn might cause the engine to get air in the oiling system and cause a very minor laspe in oiling for only a small amout of time.. That being said air in the oil line is not good but it happens every time you start up your vehicle after sitting over night as the oil drains down out of the engine as it sits for an extended period of time.. I probably would have just pulled the oil filter and dumped it out and reinstalled it to get the level down.. Now I know I'm going to hear about that last one, but it is one way of reducing the oil in the crankcase.. A better way would be to just part way open the drain plug and let some out to the said level.. My uncle said to use the full mark as a guide line and keep it with a 1/2 inch or so and it will be fine.. Just my 2 cent..
Old 03-03-2012, 11:51 PM

Year: 1996
Engine: 5.2L

I would get the extra oil removed. I work in a shop and you can be charged for the full extra quart of oil if the technician has to use anything over 7 quarts of oil. But that is only if it takes that much to get it to the full line, not over it. Any amount over the full line can cause damage, so i would recommend to get it corrected immediately
Old 03-04-2012, 06:57 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1998
Engine: 4.0

Like previously stated slosh from the rods. And ive personally seen psi almost double in my motor cause of me adding to much oil so overly high psi is bad to...... BUT! i dont think this is an OMFG i have to fix this or im gonna die issue. But i would definately head to the shop when you can express your concerns and ask them to rectify te situation
Old 03-15-2012, 12:10 AM

Year: 1998
Engine: 5.2L

I suggest going back and getting the oil out just because the extra charge. The shop i work for charges 6.50 a quart of of oil over 5 quarts. But one extra quart wont do major damage over a couple weeks time.
Old 03-15-2012, 12:14 AM
CF Veteran

Received 22 Likes on 22 Posts
Year: 1989 xj sport 2dr
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 12 hole bosch Injectors

Originally Posted by Jeepbuggy
I just had local dealer change the oil on my 2012 grand Cherokee with the 5.7 liter hemi and they put in 8 quarts of synthetic. I know manual says 7 quarts and warns against overfilling because it may cause damage. The service manager noticed the 8 quarts listed on the bill and said the tech must have added a portion of the 8th quart so I was charged for the full quart. She didn't seem concerned at all that there was an overfilled. When I got home I checked the oil and it appears there is an extra full quart. The oil measures more than a half inch above the full level. Has this extra oil caused damage or will it? I've only driven 15 miles. I'm taking it back to dealer to remove extra oil, but I'd like to know if I'm overly concerned?
no your not, getting it removed as soon as you can needs to be done
Old 03-15-2012, 02:11 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 95
Engine: 4.0

This reminds me of an f-150 that our new lube guy changed the oil on. Somehow he forgot to drain the old oil and dumped 7 more quarts in the engine. The owner brought it back the next day only because it was running rough and smoking. the running rough was actually from the crank/rods whipping up the oil, and it was smoking because the oil was being sucked through the PCV valve.

I wouldnt worry about the an extra quart but I would have them drain it out and refund you the amount. If it bothers you that much you can pitch a fit and get a full refund or a free oil change on the next visit (if you want to go back)